Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Selling Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Has anyone here had experience selling a DPF? Bought my bus in CA and they spent 17k installing a Cleaire Horizon DPF system. The filter had about 2,300 miles (basically new still) put on it total before I deleted the system. Who would be in the market to buy this sort of thing? Just post it on Ebay or Craigslist?

I'm considering keeping the electrical box that came with it to use for shore power (240V). Has anyone attempted this sort of thing?

Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think I would look at truck forums before CL.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
I looked into selling mine, and from what I was told, they are now outdated. That's why the busses they are on, are now are being decommissioned unless they get repowered with a new diesel. These systems were installed some years back to buy time basically. I reached out to some diesel shops and ran an ad on craigslist.... nothing. Not one response. . After a few months of it sitting in my yard, It went to the recycling yard with scrap I had. Lol.
Cameronbraaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Never mind reread your post. I’ll stop asking stupid questions. Someday.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:02 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think I would look at truck forums before CL.
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronbraaap View Post
I looked into selling mine, and from what I was told, they are now outdated. That's why the busses they are on, are now are being decommissioned unless they get repowered with a new diesel. These systems were installed some years back to buy time basically. I reached out to some diesel shops and ran an ad on craigslist.... nothing. Not one response. . After a few months of it sitting in my yard, It went to the recycling yard with scrap I had. Lol.
That doesn't sound promising, thinking someone might want it to replace their filter on an older bus/truck. Doubt I'll have much luck in the midwest however where 'emissions' isn't in many's vocabulary. Did you utilize the electrical block for 240V shorepower hookup or did that get scrapped as well?
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
If you don't have any luck selling it, look for a core buyer. Those DPF units are pricey for scrap metal as well (just like catalytic converters)... but normal scrap yards wont give much due to theft rates. Too many people stealing them for scrap.

Scrap yard around me gives ~$10 for a converter where a core buyer will give 10-15x that.

Good luck either way.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Like others have said, that's a retrofit system. It's not really valuable unless a person has a similar retrofit system and they would need parts for it. Most people who have those retrofits, though, are in the same boat you are and are deleting them because they no longer meet standards. I doubt core buyers would be interested in them either because they aren't an oem installation, and would likely have no resale value if refurbished. As far as scrap goes, the only value is the metal casing, there isn't platinum or rare metals inside like there would be with a catalytic converter.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
Good idea

That doesn't sound promising, thinking someone might want it to replace their filter on an older bus/truck. Doubt I'll have much luck in the midwest however where 'emissions' isn't in many's vocabulary. Did you utilize the electrical block for 240V shorepower hookup or did that get scrapped as well?
No, I didnt use the electrical box. It got scrapped as well.
Cameronbraaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I ran into a gent who bought a bus with retrofit DPF on it. He was able to sell it for more than he paid for the bus. But.. That was 2-3 years ago.

With the new regulations in CA they are obsolete there. No more market for them in CA. I wonder if you may find a market in Oregon?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I ran into a gent who bought a bus with retrofit DPF on it. He was able to sell it for more than he paid for the bus. But.. That was 2-3 years ago.

With the new regulations in CA they are obsolete there. No more market for them in CA. I wonder if you may find a market in Oregon?
Wonder how Trump telling CA. they can't make up their own emission rules anymore is going to effect the whole bus deal.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Wonder how Trump telling CA. they can't make up their own emission rules anymore is going to effect the whole bus deal.
I am a Trump supporter but I will take the other side on this one. A little thing called STATES RIGHTS as detailed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The 10th Amendment in particular.

If the people of California want stricter emissions requirements, let them. The Federal government has no business dictating what goes on within the confines of any individual state. There are a few exceptions detailed in the Constitution such as establishment of a postal system.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote