Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Semi Exhaust

A question for you HD mechanics and truck savvy people out there. ( that means you Paul and you too Elliot!) I have been thinking of re-routing the exhaust to a semi stack type system that would rise just behind the front fender. We hope to re-direct the fumes up and away from the ground so as to avoid such nuisances as cancer and other pesky illnesses. I even thought it would look pretty wild to have two stacks rise on either side then taper back onece it reaches the roof. But is it bad to turn the exhaust so abruptly? How does a semi trucks exhaust work? Of course this is just another flighty idea of mine, but hey why not dream right?
Attached Thumbnails
ugly-rv.jpg  

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Semi Exhaust

if you run the exhaust up the front, you will want to run a muffler to cut the noise down, get mandrel bent exhaust tube, u-turn the exhaust and bring it out where ever you want to.

if it was my bus, I'd do what elliot did and remove the muffler and run 4" exhaust straight out the back or maybe a side dump just in front of the rear tire on which ever side the exhaust runs on, or maybe the left side so that it is away from the camping side while you are getting situated and setup.

a truck parts supply can get 10' straight sticks and 90% mandrel bends in 4 & 5" diameters as well as various adapters and hangers, after your shopping trip it's just a matter of cut, fit & weld, all skills that you have already demonstrated.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'd be worried about visibility. Find a chunk of 4" PVC and throw it up there just to see. I bet you won't be able to see your mirrors effectively and without them...well...you're running blind.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Skoolie

Ya I had thought about running it up through a corner after I saw a transit bus with the set up. Then I started to think it through, having a penetration through the roof and trying to fire proof everything. I can see it turning into an issue down the road, literally. Perhaps if I had designed the bus from the start for this it would work but now it would mean cutting a corner out of the bedroom and too much trouble. All this and I would still have to convince my loving wife! I think if I can run the stacks infront of the mirror without blocking visibility then great if not I think its going out the port side! Thanks for the input.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

You also have to realize that when most transits and such run it up thru the body it is NOT in the passanger compartment. On most it is run up thru the engine bay. Exhaust and passangers are a bad combo.
On my semi exhaust there is a 90 deg bend right up behind the cab so I assume they are not a problem. Just to let you know I absolutly hate driving semis that have the stacks that come out right beside the sleeper. They are very hard to see around and although the sound is kinda cool at first after 500+ miles a day it gets rather annoying quickly.
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

Point taken, will consider carefully.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Bus Nut

the turbo on a turbo diesel supplies all of the necessary backpressure, after the turbo minimal bp is best.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Almost There

I remembered a bus I was looking at that was for sale a while back. Here is a posting that has a photo of about what one would look like.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1290

Here is the photo from the posting:

Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Skoolie

Cheese wagon said,
Quote:
Didn't realize this was a turbocharged application.....

It's not... Yet!