Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogie View Post
Hi guys!

I've been reading a ton today. I just got done reading a post about best engine recommendations. I'd like to get a bit more specific recommendations according to my needs and what I'm looking for.

What I'd like to purchase and convert is a short bus. There's at least 1 place advertised on craigslist with a yard full of skoolies and then another person on this forum who advertises buses in socal. So, between them and general online search, I hope I can find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to convert and live full time in the bus. I do want to actually travel in the bus too, not just park it. I might even consider towing a light car down the road, but not at this moment.

So, on the previous thread I read, I was reading top 4 engines being cummins 8.3 or 5.9 and DT466, DT360 (this is an international right?)
Are those the same type of engines that will be in a short bus or should I change the specs of what I'd be looking for?

Also, how many miles do you think would be a safe bet or how much to stay away from?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm not a gear head by ANY means so please, talk like you're explaining it to a kid haha

Also, I've got a bus I'm looking at. He said it's a 7.3 Super Duty Diesel.. ??
"7.3 Super Duty Diesel" LOL, if he said that then you better move on.
I'm a big 7.3 fan but I wouldn't call them super duper duty LOL.
The yard your talking about having loads of buses to buy, is it in Ruckersville VA (M&M)? If so then that's where I bought mine.
The 7.3/T444E is a good engine BTW, personally I'd advise against detroits and CAT engines. IH/Navistar and Cummaparts (Cummins) are the flavors I'd suggest that are pretty decent for the dollar per mile you will spend taking care of them.
The 8.3 Cummins is the best you could hope for, in a short bus any you mentioned would be dandy. I'd say get nothing over 2004 year because after that EGR coolers and DPFs hit the market and they are costly to deal with and just shorten engine life.

If it's a E series platform, your only going to get (diesel) a 7.3 unless it's 03 and up then it's the 6.OH and I'd run from a 6.OH they are a pile of junk.
In the E series there are no trans options to chose from.

If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Actually, there's a picture of the engine and the engine cover does show super duty.. for whatever it's worth. I don't think it's photoshopped.

You're the second person who's said to stay away from years above 2004 so I will follow your advice.
mbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Yeah, if you watch a lot of YouTube short bus videos it becomes evident that nearly all have a minimal plumbing setup. I finally managed a 28 gallon grey tank and a 21 gallon black tank. It took some serious thought and inspection to figure it out.

Fresh water storage won’t be an issue since it can be remote from the bath and kitchen, unlike the sanitary tanks that need to be directly below or at least on the same side as the kitchen and bath. Even with my tool box installation in the rear, I’m still going to be able to carry 60 gallons of fresh water.
Yes, That is my concern. Since I'm planning/thinking about living in the vehicle full time, and I don't necessarily just want a former bus/mobile home parked near power and water supply all the time, some sort of shower/toilet is essential. I have seen some pretty cool outdoor setups, and that's a possibility. I had an outdoor shower when I lived up in No. Cal. (winters in the 40's but not sub-freezing), so I've been there before.
I'm thinking the actual toilet will be pretty much an emergency/middle of the night kind of thing, and if I bite the bullet and get the $1K composting set up, that eliminates the plumbing consideration. Anyway, first I have to move back to the US, then I have to get a vehicle, then find my place to live/do my build, so, plumbing for my hypothetical bus is not exactly front burner at the moment.

Thanks again for your input.
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Actually, there's a picture of the engine and the engine cover does show super duty.. for whatever it's worth. I don't think it's photoshopped.

You're the second person who's said to stay away from years above 2004 so I will follow your advice.
"cover does show super duty" Right but the engine when in a Ford is called "powerstroke", super duty is the platform. Super duty isn't a reference to the engine, but that it's a 3/4ton (F or E 250/350/450 ect) platform or better.
The emissions on the new engines is just retarded to say the best for it. The EGR on the 6.OH will lead to needing a early overhaul WHEN it fails, no if but WHEN.
The 7.3 are good engines I've got a 2000 F350 with one and it's 20k shy of half a million miles, worst it's needed was a set of injectors. My bus has the IH 7.3 (they aren't called powerstrokes, but T444E's). IH built them for ford, after that I lost all respect for ford.

I reprocess waste oil (motor oils/trans fluid/ect, just not veg oil) and use 80% of that to 20% off road diesel and these engines get along well with it, even a bit on the dirty side the injectors will tolerate it. For the cost savings in fuel I don't mind to wear out injectors a little early compared to what I save in fuel.

Taken care of these engines have been known to see a million miles before rebuild. I've never yet seen one with a blown head gasket either, you would have to down right abuse and burn it up to blow one and I've rebuilt a few of them as part of my trade in life is being a mechanic.

I'm really bias against the new EPA butt kissing engines.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
I'm still in info gathering stages for my short bus purchase spring of next year, but thoughts on this bus?
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...364&acctid=430
48k miles and runs.... Also, that overcab space, is that any good for anything? wish they had some interior shots.
Its a nice van.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post

I'm really bias against the new EPA butt kissing engines.
Interesting you say that. My brothers business has an old 2004 v8 diesel work truck. We got a certified letter saying we're out of compliance with california's new CARB program which requires all/most commercial diesel vehicles to be replaced with a 2010 or newer engine.

It made me wonder if not too far down the line they will be requiring the same for private vehicles.
mbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:06 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Interesting you say that. My brothers business has an old 2004 v8 diesel work truck. We got a certified letter saying we're out of compliance with california's new CARB program which requires all/most commercial diesel vehicles to be replaced with a 2010 or newer engine.

It made me wonder if not too far down the line they will be requiring the same for private vehicles.
They already do. Over 14000 GVWR. There is an RV loophole though. Get titled as a MH and no worries
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
"7.3 Super Duty Diesel" LOL, if he said that then you better move on.
I'm a big 7.3 fan but I wouldn't call them super duper duty LOL.
The yard your talking about having loads of buses to buy, is it in Ruckersville VA (M&M)? If so then that's where I bought mine.
The 7.3/T444E is a good engine BTW, personally I'd advise against detroits and CAT engines. IH/Navistar and Cummaparts (Cummins) are the flavors I'd suggest that are pretty decent for the dollar per mile you will spend taking care of them.
The 8.3 Cummins is the best you could hope for, in a short bus any you mentioned would be dandy. I'd say get nothing over 2004 year because after that EGR coolers and DPFs hit the market and they are costly to deal with and just shorten engine life.

If it's a E series platform, your only going to get (diesel) a 7.3 unless it's 03 and up then it's the 6.OH and I'd run from a 6.OH they are a pile of junk.
In the E series there are no trans options to chose from.
To clarify: The early 2003 Powerstroke is a 7.3. The 6.0 came out mid 2003. I think that they called it 2003.5.

I would agree with that assessment of the Cummins 8.3. I may be a little biased

However, I have to go the other way on Detroit's. I loved my Detroit's and will have another one day. There is a "Crown by Carpenter" RE for sale on the forum here that has a Detroit. I would love to see that bus in my driveway. Unfortunately the, reasonable, asking price is too rich for me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
7.3 is a very long lasting engine but a little lower on power. Supposedly a larger air intake can help. I’ve never owned one myself.

The 6.0 power stroke is fine if you happen to come across a bulletproofed one because when bulletproofed they can be good engines but it might be easier to pass over them then become familiar enough to make a good decision about it. If it’s really cheap in good condition you could get one bulletproofed and it would be reliable. (Aftermarket fixes are more than enough for them nowadays). I’ve owned 2 6.0’s and been happy with them.

Power stroke 6.4 as far as I know are not the greatest but they’re in 2008 and newer range.

If you could find a Cummins 5.9 in a shortie I think that would be excellent! There’s so much available for customizing, tuning and parts since they’re in the dodge trucks.

Chevy 6.6 might be a good choice too.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #30

No one mentioned caterpillar engines. Million mile engines
M.ruel55@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:

Cost of living in cali is insane, why anyone wants to live or do business in that state is funny.
Now they no longer allow people to modify their newer diesels personal or not. Just as it's illegal to use a 2 stroke diesel for commercial purposes in cali.
Personally you couldn't pay me enough to drive through cali, my advise to people to to leave the state, any state would be better.
I couldn't give advise on carb and cali laws though I don't pay much attention to them nor would I follow them. I make sure my Wife holds my assets while I assume the liability kinda thing in life LOL.
Really avoid any inspection state. For now thought the org installed engine in a personal vehicle should be legal use anywhere just non-commercial.
Cali is a bankrupt state and wants to plunder it's people till there is no recovery for them.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.ruel55@gmail.com View Post
Is that with 3 or 4 overhauls?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Gotcha.

"I see!" said the blind man.
'as he picked up his hammer and saw' - something my dad used to say at times - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.ruel55@gmail.com View Post
There is a reason they no longer make engines for on road trucks.........
If I say much about it I'll make another feller get upset about it on here and that's not my aim.
He will prob show up and mention em all the same.
Cost to work on one though always causes me to shy away from em personally as I'm the kinda person that weighs em by dollar per mile.

Anyone on this forum have a engine that has made a million miles without having the head off or a rebuild? I've not really read anyone making that claim. Early 90s and older buses would be more reliable CAT engines.
I've worked on a few in med duty trucks for a small fleet I service twice a year and seems injector cups is a common thing to fail on the ones I've touched 7.2s These are annoying and take a special tool to deal with, I fabbed up my own removal jig for them rather than spending $600 on a puller.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Is that with 3 or 4 overhauls?
Careful buddy your going to get eastcoast dude mad at you.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I finally read a post that gave me an indication of where the OP is (Ca.) It would help to know that because the difference between $4k-$7K in Ca. as opposed to NJ is huge.

I just put 2800 miles on an 05 Cat C7 with 171K miles on it, ran flawlessly. If I listen to everyone here I will expect it to be in the shop next week for $40k worth of work, Of course that rep comes from people who have never owned one., not so much if abused. So don't abuse. it. The mechanics that work on them say they are a fine if maintained When searching school auctions ask the maintenance department how many actual issues they've had over how many million miles and I think many would quite surprised.
As mentioned the Skoolie thing is growing and pre 04 buses are getting harder to find as a second owner. The schools will be out of them shortly as some are already liquidating 05-06 models.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I finally read a post that gave me an indication of where the OP is (Ca.)
Really? He mentioned 'socal' in his first post.....that's a well-known abbreviation of southern California, in case you missed the memo. In the first handful of posts, there's mention of San Diego, Otay, Chula Vista, Riverside, Los Angeles, etc.....all are cities in southern California.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Really? He mentioned 'socal' in his first post.....that's a well-known abbreviation of southern California, in case you missed the memo. In the first handful of posts, there's mention of San Diego, Otay, Chula Vista, Riverside, Los Angeles, etc.....all are cities in southern California.
Again, Thank you for your valuable input. That's not my thumb.

This is why we have a profile, so people don't have to read every post in the thread to try and understand a question or answer. It's much nicer for new members to join the community by "introducing" themselves in their profile so it's quick to reference. I lived in southern Calif. It's now referrred by some as SoCal, socal is just not right.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Injector cups could be an issue on ALL HEUI engines.. even the Venerable 7.3 and early DT466E were prone to cracked injector cups.. its an obvious thing.. 2 dissimilar metals pressed together so tight that no fastener is required and it cant leak fluid.. give and take over and over every temperature cyce of that cylinder.. the cups gonna crack eventually.

CAT, Cummins, International, Detroit, GMC, they are *ALL* going to give sticker shock to anyone who cant turn their own wrenches.... they are *ALL* going to be less of an isssue for those who can turn their own wrenches or have people on speed dial who can...

Geberally speakingthe more complex the engine, the nore there is to break, and the more sophisticated tools it takes to fix them.. whether you make your own tool, rent it, or buy it.. Ive got a whole Damn garage full of tools and a whole Closet full of Scan tools just to p;ay with my supposed "toy" cars and busses.. LOL
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Injector cups could be an issue on ALL HEUI engines.. even the Venerable 7.3 and early DT466E were prone to cracked injector cups..
How 'early' on the DT466E? That's the first I've heard of this potential issue.......mine's a '97.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, full time, short bus