Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60
So, a Cummins 5.9 sits for a few years.... Help Saturday?

And then I want to drive it for four hours on the freeway. This weekend.

What do I need to do first?

I figured I need to bring some fresh batteries, probably a lot of Rotella from MalWart, an oil filter, an air filter, lots of brake fluid, lots of tools

Whattya think? Doable?

I have to choose a bus within about three hours, and after that I think I have all weekend to get it the heck outta there. Though they might say it's gotta go right away. I can at least drag it to the parking lot.

Anyone want to lend a hand in Kankakee, Illinois on Saturday, I will probably really need it. I am okay at wrenching, my wife is as well, but my six year old daughter can only hand me so many things. Plus, she can't carry much.

The main problems, as I see them.
Tires. Have to be road worthy. I think I am looking for tires without lots of cracking. Gotta make sure the pressures are correct as well, before hitting the road.
Brakes. I don't even know. I won't be able to really look at them, but it's got to be able to stop. I can flush it before heading home, how much fluid?
Rust. Can't be too rusty. Heck, it's got to have as little as possible.
Runs. No other way to get it home, eh? If it runs, I can change all those fluids before hitting the freeway. Probably ASAP.
Lights. Has to have working brake, turns, and headlights. I am pretty good at this, and will be bringing lots of wire. I can temporarily make any lights work.
Fuel. I have no idea what I am doing here. Will it run on the old diesel? Will putting new in the tank help? Hurt? Do I need to flush it entirely? What do you suggest?
Oil. How much?

I can have insurance on it pronto. I am allowed to drive it one place, home, without a plate. No problem there. It just has to make it, and then I can really go to town on it.

Care to punch holes in my plans? I need some advice.

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: So, a Cummins 5.9 sits for a few years.... Help Saturday?

Jeez...did I inspire this or did I just "nudge" you where you had been going all along? I wish i was close enough to help, but I'm 1000 miles away. For convenience, I've put a "shopping list" at the bottom.

First: air or juice brakes? If juice...bring an empty gallon bottle and LOTS of DOT3 brake fluid! I suggest 1 quart and 3-4 small bottles. If air...bring a big sheet of cardboard, a good (I stress GOOD, bring extra batteries!) flashlight, and a can of brake cleaner. You can crwal underneath the bus and check the linings from the back--the drums may actually be totally open in back; if not, the backing plates will have inspection slots. (Open is better...cools off faster.)

Second: Bring a fuel filter. If you can, talk to a MECHANIC (office people probably won't know) and get the fuel filter part number. Bring three and any tools that you may need to swap it. Swap it before you try to start it, swap it AGAIN when you get home (after the glop from the system has been pushed through to the new filter).

Fuel: I'd probably bring (if possible) some kerosene in case it has summer-blwend fuel in it, and a bottle of Stanadyne or Power Service (Wal-mart has it) fuel conditioner. I would drain the tank and fill with fresh diesel, a shot of K-1 (I'd shoot for ~10% kerosene), and whatever ratio the PS/Stanadyne calls for, maybe a bit more to deal with accumulated gunk. It may have lost prime in the injection system...I have to confess I forget the procedure for priming a Cummins.

Tires: if you don't have one, buy a TRUCK tire gauge with the double-ended chuck so you can check the duals! Mine cost about $5. I'd pump them to max PSI for this run and keep the speed down. (<60)

[u]MAKE SURE THE THING WILL SHIFT BEFORE BUYING IT![/i] I have driven an AT545 that was fine until about 30MPH, then wouldn't go into high gear! (It had a pinched cooler line.) Most Allisons should run Dexron...when you call about the fuel filter, ask the mechanic what fluid the transmissions take & bring at least a gallon. I suspect the power steering will also use Dexron. Also, ask him what the axles & front wheel bearings use (I expect gear oil for both) & how much the axle uses...bring at least that much. (Wal-Mart has Super Teck 75W-140, IIRC about three bucks a quart.)

Bring a portable radio and some music...keeps the stress (and thrown tools) to a minimum!

On the Wal-Mart list...
Safety vest (orange or chartreuse) & warning triangles
2 chocks
75W-140 gear oil
A bunch of Super Tech 15W-40 diesel oil (I expect a 5.9 in a bus to use 3-4 gallons)
Oil filter
A case (or more) of Wal-mart Dexron ATF
A whole bunch (case-plus) of the right coolant. (Might need a Tractor Supply, a NAPA, or a truck stop for this.)
Brake fluid, lots. (If hydraulic.)
Truck tire gauge.
10-ton bottle jack (if you don't have one)
Three fuel filters.
Flashlight batteries.
A set of good jumper cables. (Even fresh batteries may need a boost...and it may take plenty of cranking to start iof it has lost prime.)
A good truckers' atlas, with every truck stop exit marked so you can make regular stops to check tires, oil, coolant, and the family's nerves!
Tow strap, if the vehicle you're driving down with is capable of utilizing it in an emergency.
A pair of wiper blades.

Advice: DON'T try to drive 4 hours in one run! In fact, I would plan on stopping for the night about halfway to rest...better deal with a night in a motel than drive tires.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Skoolie

Wow, thanks, that's a lot of great information!
It's hydraulic brakes.
FWIW, it looks like this. Or, well, all of them do, more or less.

Maybe someone here knows what fuel filter? I will call them tomorrow, but worst case, they have a full shop there, and I can probably pick up a few from them, albeit for more money, but what the hey.

I tried to keep up with the fuel part, but I will have to read it a few more times. I stopped by Walmart today and got like two gallons of brake fluid. I bought all of their Rotella oil, I think it was 15w40. They only had three bottles. I will need to get more, I found a chart showing it holds about 12 quarts.

Also, I saw the deisel additive stuff you mentioned, but there was two different types. I didn't think of it at the time, so I can pick some up somewhere else too I guess, and maybe even read the bottle.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

You'll pay a bit more, but any chain auto-part store (Advance, Auto Zone, CarQuest, NAPA) will have the oil and probably the oil filter. (Look up a diesel Dodge Ram the same year as the bus and that should fit!) You can probably get the fuel treatment at the same place. You want algaecide and injector pump lubricant!

Make sure you have a container for old fluid when you bleed the brakes...and a BIG one!

But err...it looks like WHAT, exactly? (Edit: never mind, I see the pic now! That's a Saf-T-Liner EF.)

Is there room to pull the valve cover? If so...hit the "coach conversion" board and check my post in MacGyver's 1953 Flxible thread: it has my "starting a stored engine" procedure in it.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Bus Nut

If da bus starts and runs...drive home

Your new bus will need just a couple good jumper cables. If the batteries are low, jump your car battery to da bus. If the bus battery is low, charge from yer car for half an hour. Most buses need very little to start or run. You do not need all those supplies. Buses, even buses stored for 8 years, will start and run easily. There is no gain by getting any filters just check water/coolant, battery charge/condition, oil level and mirrors and drive. The joy of the first drive is to discover any problems. There is a Walmart near every bus in da country. Don't make this drive into a big deal. This could be a very fun ride. Get a couple hand help radios or a couple CB radios. Watch the gages when started and during the drive. I have driven about 6 buses across this great country. The number one rule is fill the fuel tank at least 3/4 as soon as ya get the bus moving. Make a travel plan before the trip. Stop and get a cold ice tea and talk about the fun you are having. If I were not so far away, I would come and drive or give ya some good information. All the other supplies are for after the bus is home. I wish you a good adventure. Oooops, take lots of pics as you will only make a first trip once. When ya get home plan the next ride and don't forget a name. A name makes the bus yours. Think about a name carefully. frank in Idaho
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Skoolie

We have a couple of names in mind already. I have found the plate is available too. Yes, I am one of those people who like vanity plates. At least I don't like truck nutz, or LED washer nozzles. See, it takes all kinds in this world.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Change the oil. Change the oil. Change the oil! It's been sitting for years, and gotten loaded with Fates-know-what glop. (And how many miles was it run since the last change, anyway?) Do you REALLY want to pump all that glop through the engine, and the delicate turbocharger bearings? Especially considering an oil & a filter will cost you about thirty bucks?

It's been parked for several years. Change the fuel filter. How much glop has settled to the bottom of the fuel tank? How much water has condensed? How much algae has grown? How much rust has flaked off the tank & settled to the bottom? When was the filter last changed, for that matter? You WILL change it, regardless: would you rather do it in a safe parking lot with a part you brought, or at night on the side of the highway, after going to three stores trying to find a filter?

Bring batteries, especially since you already have them. If the ones in it won't hold a charge, you will NEVER get it started with jumpers off a car!

When you DO get it started, I suggest holding it at about 1500RPM for ~10 minutes--this will ensure the cam, valvetrain, and turbo all get plenty of oil flow...they're bone-dry after sitting that long!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Change da oil?

Change da oil? Why? The oil is already millions of years old. I am interested in knowing what happens to oil if it just sits for 10 years? I am 72 years old and have never found it necessary to change oil after sitting. Change the oil before getting the oil warm or hot. You must have extra money. Please send money to me. What change happens to all the filters? I have owned many cars and buses, but cannot understand the need for all the filters to be changed. When is the time for changing the oil, fuel, and all filters? Do ya think everything goes bad? One bus I started had been sitting for about 12 years. The engine had lost the fuel prime but started nicely. After a couple hundred miles and checking everything, maybe after the engine has been operated until operating temps, maybe the filters should be changed. Many folks with a diesel bus will create more problems until they begin to know about the bus. With some buses, it is very easy to loose the fuel prime. I have stated my view. Frank da old guy.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Skoolie

Bugger it. We didn't do anything special. Pulled three dead batteries, put in one fresh, assisted with the boost from an old chevy van, it started right up. And four others too, since we were deciding between them. Ran fine on unknown diesel. I have a suspicion they took care of a few things, they promised me they would be ready for a long trip right out of the lot, and they were right. Other than a leak of something thin and red, no trouble at all on the way home. It sits snug in my driveway blocking my views east.

I have started a new thread for our bus.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut

The most common red fluid is ATF

This fluid is used in auto trans. A little clean up and look and look. First guess trans oil pan......... Frank
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Even money whether it's that or power steering fluid.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Skoolie

Hmm. Yeah, it looked a bit thin to be trans fluid though, but I will get under there this week and have a better look. It's so far up front, that maybe it's trans fluid going to a cooler? Could be a rubbed line, or something, that would be nice.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

I would expect the power steering to use ATF, actually.

Err...why not start with the obvious? ARe the transmission or power steering fluid low?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

ATF is right around 18 weight on the SAE scale so it's actually pretty thin stuff. I'm with Jaraxle...see what's low as both the power steering system and the transmission likely use the same fluid and both are in that same vicinity in one form or another.