Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Spin on filter stuck.

I have been working non-stop trying to get the bus ready to drive down to Arizona and see a couple of skoolie friends, so I haven't been on the site much.

But I've hit a roadblock that I never suspected would be what stops me from leaving on time.

My coolant spin on filter will not come off. We've tried four different methods. I finally made my own strap wrench. It includes 1 in strapping material, one and a half inch channel material and an old heavy solid wrench.

I loop the strapping material around the filter, twisted the channel so that was parallel to the filter and got on the other end with the wrench. It didn't budge.

This filter sits seven or eight inches above the engine crossmember and tucked in nicely around the air compressor and pulleys with about 4 inches 5 inches of clearance from the fan. To say it's tight is an understatement.

I also sprayed penetrating oil on top of the filter hoping it might seep in and loosen the gasket or something up. But no luck

I've done all the standard stuff, short of puncturing the filter which I don't want to do so I can drive it to a mechanic if I need to. Any other ideas is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210730_155317590.jpg   IMG_20210730_155147211.jpg  

Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
A proper strap wrench designed for filters and driven by a 1/2" square drive.
The correct length of 1/2" drive extension to get clear of anything that would prevent rotation.
A 1/2" drive breaker bar at least 18" long
A piece of pipe over the breaker bar for additional leverage.

Another option would be to get the heat gun out (if you don't have one harbor freight has one for about $20 or you can risk your life and use the wife/GF's blow drier). Apply heat to the filter at the top. It might cause enough expansion to allow your DIY strap wrench to get it off. Be sure to get the heat around as much of the filter as you can.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
they make a JI-normus pair of channel locks that are just for taking filters off.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I also have those big curved-jaw Channel Locks...but a big part of his challenge is that there's very little space around the filter. I have never had one of these fail to remove a filter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 7.22.44 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	59993

He made one similar to this, using Unistrut, but it bent. Steve, you might need to get one of the actual 1/2-inch drive strap wrenches of other means fail. It won't bend, I guarantee.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
+1 on the heavy duty filter strap wrench. Heating the filter is also a good idea. Placing the strap as close as you can to the filter head will give you the best chance of getting the filter loose without twisting the filter in half.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
they make a JI-normus pair of channel locks that are just for taking filters off.
Yeah, I just bought one. Worked great
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
If you have room a chain wrench works really well on stuck filters.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I use one of these on stubborn filters. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63830-6...97908711&psc=1 Ours is actually from kimball midwest, but it looks similar to this.

I've also used the cloth strap wrenches, they work okay, but will slip if the filter is greasey/dirty/oily. Worst case scenario is a long flat screwdriver and a hammer, then they always come off, but you seem like you're avoiding that.

If you've got the identical filter on hand, I'm not sure why you're avoiding the last method.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I use one of these on stubborn filters.
I've had good luck with the strap wrenches...but, yes, I've had to clean some filters with acetone or thinner and I've even resorted to spraying them with belt dressing for added gripocity. But this looks like a good addition to my toolbox. I just placed my order...thanks!
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I've had good luck with the strap wrenches...but, yes, I've had to clean some filters with acetone or thinner and I've even resorted to spraying them with belt dressing for added gripocity. But this looks like a good addition to my toolbox. I just placed my order...thanks!
I have too, but I've always felt it's kind of a pain/waste to have to clean the filter. I've never had to clean one with this.

It also will spin/grip both clockwise and counterclockwise. I've never used it to tighten a filter, and have never ran across a LH threaded filter, but I if needed to it's nice to have. We've got a couple single way 3 arm jobs and they don't seem to grip nearly as well as this one either.

Maybe not useful for the average guy, but I'd get one if you change filters on any ag implements, as those filters always seem to be welded on tight.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 AM   #11
Bus Nut

The heat sounds like an interesting option. All the things mentioned I've already tried. It just in such an inaccessible spot to be able to not just fit a tool but to get any kind of horizontal turning leverage. I mean if you took the radiator, the shroud and the fan off, probably be pretty easy. Ha.

This is an option I'm considering. You drain the filter, cut the bottom off, take the filter part out and then attach this to a socket extension. The prongs fit into the six holes at the top of every filter.

All I can think of, is whoever put this filter on must have been really mad at somebody and took it out on the filter that day.

We'll see what today brings. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Ooops, here's the option I mentioned.

https://motowheels.com/i-10115677-co...em-filter.html
Old 07-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I worked in both automotive and aviation fields as a mechanic for DECADES and NEVER found a filter that wouldn't come off without cutting it down and going for the holes in the mating surface. Stubborn ones for sure but a strap wrench applied close to the mating surface never failed (though yes, you might need wipe off the filter). I've even had filters so tight that you could see oil oozing out of the strap as more and more pressure was applied.....but the filter always broke loose eventually.

That includes working on Vietnam era trucks that had been ignored and abused.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post

I thought they were for taking Ford fuel pumps out of fuel tanks
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:

and here I was using JB weld and I could have used belt dressing? good to know
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
and here I was using JB weld and I could have used belt dressing? good to know
JB Weld and duct tape will fix anything...
Old 08-05-2021, 01:07 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
JB Weld and duct tape will fix anything...

NOPE those two will fix HALF of things. You gotta have the WD40.

If it moves and isn't supposed to.....DUCT TAPE
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to......WD40 (or a little det cord)
Old 08-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #18

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomasbuilt
Chassis: 28'
Engine: T444E 7.3L
If it comes to it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I have been working non-stop trying to get the bus ready to drive down to Arizona and see a couple of skoolie friends, so I haven't been on the site much.

But I've hit a roadblock that I never suspected would be what stops me from leaving on time.

My coolant spin on filter will not come off. We've tried four different methods. I finally made my own strap wrench. It includes 1 in strapping material, one and a half inch channel material and an old heavy solid wrench.

I loop the strapping material around the filter, twisted the channel so that was parallel to the filter and got on the other end with the wrench. It didn't budge.

This filter sits seven or eight inches above the engine crossmember and tucked in nicely around the air compressor and pulleys with about 4 inches 5 inches of clearance from the fan. To say it's tight is an understatement.

I also sprayed penetrating oil on top of the filter hoping it might seep in and loosen the gasket or something up. But no luck

I've done all the standard stuff, short of puncturing the filter which I don't want to do so I can drive it to a mechanic if I need to. Any other ideas is appreciated.
[I]On my International 7.3, I had to eventually tear the oil filter apart and remove the filter mount (oil cooler), put it in a vise, cut into the filter plate portion that remained stuck to the mount, and beat it free with a hammer to eventually get it loose. Just make sure you have all the parts you might need before you get to this point. It does work though.
balawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
a)
Arizona in August.
That seems ambitious.
b)
Leave the SCA, add coolant supplements by hand.
c)
Could the filter mount-base be removed?
Could the base be by-passed, and a remote mount fabricated?
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:26 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Hammer a long Phillips screw driver through it, careful not to do it too high so you don't mess threads up. Then use the handle for leverage
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, spin on, strap