Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Starter problems with Cat 3208.

1989 Ford B7000 "Wayne body" with a Cat 3208. I installed new batteries today hoping to fire the engine. All I hear is a "click". Sillinoid bad? Couldn't see if it is on the outside of the starter or inside. Anyone know where a starter can be found for this engine? Or rebuild it? I'm in a time crunch. It has been sitting for 6 years or so. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Motostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Check all of the connections between the batteries and the starter both positive and negative.
Make sure everything is clean and tight.
Make sure you have a good ground to the starter.
You can also try hitting the starter with a hammer, it helps sometimes.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Tried the hammer. I cleaned battery connections, but good idea on ground to starter.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I have a spare starter.
Where are you?
I'm in northern Minnesota.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Maryville TN. My bus is almost 40 miles away and making daily trips until I get it going. I've been moving for a few months now same distance so I'm racking up miles driving my 7.3 F250. Getting expensive.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motostone View Post
Maryville TN. My bus is almost 40 miles away and making daily trips until I get it going. I've been moving for a few months now same distance so I'm racking up miles driving my 7.3 F250. Getting expensive.

Hope you can get it to work.
Have you tried taking the starter off and seeing if it works off the engine?
Your starter is a heavy beast, don't drop it on your head.
If the bus has been sitting for a while there might be some corrosion where the brushes contact the armature.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I started removing the starter to test it off the engine. I got the bottom two bolts, but how in the world are you supposed to get to the top one? I've started taking the exhaust loose off the manifold hoping it will enable me to get my arm up in there. I can't see the bolt, and can barely get a finger on it let alone get a wrench on it. It fits so tight up under the engine it looks like if I had about two feet of extension on a ratchet or impact I might be able to get on it. I'm just a little stumped on this one. I took video. Maybe I can get on YouTube or something.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
It might be a little to late if you have it loose but after the hammer trick I make sure the wheels are chocked? Turn the key switch on and take a long screw driver and stick across the hot and ground post of the starter. Kind what you do with it out of the vehicle but you do it installed and under starting load.
Sometimes you fix it temporary just cause it's been sitting but if it works then plan on at least a solenoid rebuild.
I kinda went through the same thing and mine ended up being the neutral safety switch or something related and I still have to wiggle my shifter to get mine to hit but I originally after sitting bought batteries dropped the starter and stilled had the same problem but now I know that my shifter has a sweet spot for starting.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry mottostone mine is an 86 b700 probably same chassis and tranny?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
It might be a little to late if you have it loose but after the hammer trick I make sure the wheels are chocked? Turn the key switch on and take a long screw driver and stick across the hot and ground post of the starter. Kind what you do with it out of the vehicle but you do it installed and under starting load.
Sometimes you fix it temporary just cause it's been sitting but if it works then plan on at least a solenoid rebuild.
I kinda went through the same thing and mine ended up being the neutral safety switch or something related and I still have to wiggle my shifter to get mine to hit but I originally after sitting bought batteries dropped the starter and stilled had the same problem but now I know that my shifter has a sweet spot for starting.
Did the same thing with my Cub Cadet and ski boat (marinized ford engine), but I was able to do it through the solenoid mounted one of the heads. Much the way Ford mounts their solenoids on fender well.

Did it to an old tractor in the hay field years ago..... Hay, dust, and diesel fuel was on top of starter..... You shoulda seen me running back and forth to the creek to put the fire out

It was my only ride home
Old 08-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motostone View Post
I started removing the starter to test it off the engine. I got the bottom two bolts, but how in the world are you supposed to get to the top one? I've started taking the exhaust loose off the manifold hoping it will enable me to get my arm up in there. I can't see the bolt, and can barely get a finger on it let alone get a wrench on it. It fits so tight up under the engine it looks like if I had about two feet of extension on a ratchet or impact I might be able to get on it. I'm just a little stumped on this one. I took video. Maybe I can get on YouTube or something.
You probably need the two foot extension.
You shouldn't have to mess with the manifold.
Sounds like you are having fun.
Welcome to bus life.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
get a couple alligator clips, some wire and a light bulb( a reverse light on a pigtail socket is good)... clip one alligator clip to the skinny solenoid wire at the starter itself.. the other to the vehicle frame (clear off the dirt and rust) near the starter.. connect the bulb to the lng wires and set outside where you can see it...

get in, turn the key to start position and see if the bulb lights up nice and bright..

if so, you have eliminated all of the no-start safety circuits and fuses in the low-amperage part of the electrical system..

if the light doesnt light you are not even placing power to the solenoid so the starter isnt even being "called for"

then you troubleshoot fuses, emergency door interlocks, neutral safety switches, etc...

if the light does light then your issue is at the solenoid or starter... you dont need to dismantle the truck for this test.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
get a couple alligator clips, some wire and a light bulb( a reverse light on a pigtail socket is good)... clip one alligator clip to the skinny solenoid wire at the starter itself.. the other to the vehicle frame (clear off the dirt and rust) near the starter.. connect the bulb to the lng wires and set outside where you can see it...

get in, turn the key to start position and see if the bulb lights up nice and bright..

if so, you have eliminated all of the no-start safety circuits and fuses in the low-amperage part of the electrical system..

if the light doesnt light you are not even placing power to the solenoid so the starter isnt even being "called for"

then you troubleshoot fuses, emergency door interlocks, neutral safety switches, etc...

if the light does light then your issue is at the solenoid or starter... you dont need to dismantle the truck for this test.

-Christopher
Good advice.
There is a good thread on starter wiring/troubleshooting at busconversions.com right now.
Keep at it you will get it going.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. That's very helpful.