Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Steering problems

Power steering woes

Thinking the power steering in my bus quickly failing. The steering wheel would sit correct at 3 and 9, when I got the bus three years ago maybe have 3-4000 miles since I bought it, and would not wonder or bump steer. Just today I was driving on a narrow winding road and the amount of wondering or play in the steering is getting hard to control, the steering wheel sits at like 11-5 to make it go straight now.

Is there adjustments or is it really starting to fail. Also the wheels will not turn when the bus is stopped, it’s like the power assist don’t have enough power.

Edit: fluid level is good, and even rolling forward at a walking pace the power steering is quite and not leaking fluid. And will let me steer it

Sent from my iPhone

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
At face value it sounds like a shot steering gear but things like king pins, drag links and tie rod ends also come to mind. I wouldn't chance driving it again until I knew just what was actually wrong--and fixing it.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
right away

go to you tube and watch more than one video about "how to use a toe plate" simple device that can give you an idea of toe in or toe out of the front wheels.

park with the steering wheel just like it is when you drive straight down the road. then check the toe .... you can use plywood toe plates. check the toe setting with the front wheels every 90 degrees... that means you will check four times. this checks for bent rims too.

second.... with a tape measure see if the wheel base is the same on both side of the bus.

stand off to the right side of the bus and the left side of the bus and just look at the front rear axles on each side. Do they look the same right and left? I does not happen often but the rear axle can move and cause what you have going on. check the big U bolts that hold the rear axle in place. I know of more than one case on a school bus with broken U bolts on the rear axle. These are the bolts that hold the axle to the leaf springs.

this is a start. more to do if we pass these tests.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote