Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84
Streaming analytics on ECM data?

Reposting from another board -

Anyone know how to stream data from a 2004 CAT C7?

Yes, I know I could get CAT ET on my laptop, but that's not what I'm after.

I'd like to get a data stream from the ECM on my bus so that I can have both live and trended views of engine data in real time.

The little bit I've seen on CAT ET is unimpressive. It's build for techs to troubleshoot/tune an engine. I want to get at the raw data stream so that I can use it to build a glass cockpit for my bus, and have full dataset from my engine to review trends in metrics so that I can stay ahead of things on PM.

I'm a business intelligence consultant by trade. I spend my working hours structuring all types of raw data for analysis and building analytical tools to help folks make better decisions based on said data. This seems like it would be both extremely useful, and lots of fun.
Anyone ever tried this before?
Anyone have insight on whether it is possible to get raw data from a CAT ECM w/o ET?
Does CAT have their ECM data so locked down with their proprietary software that this is impossible?
Any other reasons why this may be a dumb idea?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

tomrasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Crickets? I kinda surprised.

I would have through that someone else would have tried to hack this before me.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic, and his interactions w/ data form the ECM has been limited to diagnostics through JPro etc, but he's asking around at the shop for me to see if anyone's tried to stream this data for real-time engine data outside of the diagnostic context.

I have to ask - is this a dumb pursuit? Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?
Old 04-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
I just got a bluefire for my cummins 5.9 24v I think it would work for a CAT
https://bluefire-llc.com/store
I just got it and will test today
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
reach out to caddilackid on here he is one our resident tech guru for this sort of thing
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
doesnt CAT ET have trip reports?

I use them on the navistar ServiceMaxx when I want data i can go back and view..

I have used this feature extensively while tuning the engine / trans in my red bus... you set a trigger that starts the trip.. and you can set a trigger that ends the trip.. or click a button..

in my case I would sometimes set my trigger at a speed or engine temp etc to start and then i click to end..

one time I set it for a trip to begin on a speed over 5 MPH and ended on a 0 MPH.. thus I could go back and look at each cycle where the bus was moving.. some of them were short as I mightve been in town.. the data was saved to files I can do whatever with..

I have posted some snippets in various places of reading data from my Advantech HDV100A3 devices.. (they make a new version now).. which will give you a steady stream of serial data you can capture and parse with your own software (thats what ive done)..

I also use a Copperhill J1939 ECU simulator (which can also be programmed as a reader too.. I used this device to reprogram and un-brick several navistar ECMs that required a code only Navistar could send in their lab...).. theres an SDK for that device and it is USB..

there are expensive scan tools from Snap-on and others that will do data trending also.. used for fleet management / failure prediction..

there are "underground" web sites that you can obtain such tools for less than their retail price...

the J1708 and J1939 protocols are well documented industry standards..

if you get a Bluefire device, they give away the source code for Android and windows (zamarin environment).. so you could grab the data and route it elsewhere esp under windows where its in .net, file control is a bit of a PITA in android but you can do it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
thanks chris
you were the best one to be on this thread.
i just bumped. for the OP.
if you dont mind i might PM you monday if i cant figure it out about some all in one building components not play together?
like lonworks on one system a carel controller and a johnson bacnet/mstp setup and a sierra field server for an LG gateway to 5 seperate VRF systems?
AAARGH
they dont like each other and i dont like them
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
thanks chris
you were the best one to be on this thread.
i just bumped. for the OP.
if you dont mind i might PM you monday if i cant figure it out about some all in one building components not play together?
like lonworks on one system a carel controller and a johnson bacnet/mstp setup and a sierra field server for an LG gateway to 5 seperate VRF systems?
AAARGH
they dont like each other and i dont like them

oh yeah all the various building automation systems not playing nice with each other.. I remember those days.. those EARLY days of DDC when I was in the HVAC business.. Barber coleman didnt talk nice to honeywell, johnson didnt talk to anyone.. and white rodgers was out there sort of ..

oh yeah and there was Liebert.. off in their own elite-ist world..

at some point Daikin came along as the only VRV system builrt for mild to wild.. at least their stuff was pretty easy and lots of people buolt attachments to snag their protocols..

I just serviced a Broken Daikin VRV-III for a friewnd of mine who bought an apartment building that has one in it.. he is cussing it badly right now (and so am I).. said VRV is in a 4 unit building, each unit has 3 coils... so theres 12 coils.. when i arrived and put my gauges on im like "dude we have a leak...someplace within the walls / ceilings (or just maybe) the outdoor unit we have a freon leak....".... then comes the issue.. the unit coils are installed within hard ceilings of the apartment below.. (so the vents can be in the floors)... damned if I didnt get lucky and the leak was in a coil hung in the drop-ceiling basement... the dark spot in a ceiling tile was a tip off.. sure enough oil dripping from a liquid line... my buddy was dancing in joy that I didnt have to charge him massive hours getting into each residents ceilings....

except its down 40 lbs of freon and R410A is $25 / lb right now.... the pitfalls of VRV.... im running an Intesis gateway device on that VRV for internet connectivity.. otherwise it would talk LON if its like the others ive worked on.. Intesis makes some really great products for tying together various automation systems / data busses..

that Intesis device saved him from losing 80 lbs of freon down to 40.. a half full VRV will run just fine but the operationals are way off on it even though some of the aones will heat and cool perfectly normal...

the Daikin has proper "king" isolation valves on it which allowed me to pump the zone flat then close off the condensing unit and have the service ports open to the zone piping so I could fix the leak and evacuate properly...

fun stuff!!

I sometimes miss havign a career in the HVAC industry.. although i wpuldnt have been saying that if id have needed to open up all 14 units to find the leak...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Chris can you look at my thread “BlueFire”. I can’t send you a message it says you’re full haha
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Just closing the loop to say 'thanks' for the ideas.

I'll pursue Bluefire; it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for!