Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Surging at idle? VIDEO ATTACHED

So I’ve got a 1988 GMC Bluebird Short Bus. Runs well, no issues with it really, except it surges at idle, especially when you first start it up. Evens out a little bit if it’s been running a while. No issues at all while driving.

Maybe about 100-200 RPM, tops. Maybe not even that much. But it’s a little unnerving, enough to where people ask me about it when they’re in the bus.

So I’m wondering if anyone else has this issue, if it’s normal or not and how to troubleshoot and look for potential fixes.

Thanks to all who take the time.

Short video attached. Hopefully you can hear it. You can definitely feel it when you’re in the bus.

silvermachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Need more info. Video is too short to even know if it is a gasser or diesel, (kind of sounds like a diesel, but not sure) much less what the problem might be. With a gasser, this could be a vacuum leak or intake / carb gasket, possibly a carb issue. Older 2 stroke Detroits were known to hunt at idle if the rack was not set incorrectly, but beyond that, I'm not sure what could make a diesel do anything similar, short of inconsistent fuel pressure or injector operation. An 88 GMC diesel would likely be the 8.2 fuel pincher, and they are known for injector problems. Hope that helps.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Gotcha. It is the 4 cylinder 8.2L Detroit diesel fuel pincher. It’s kind of hard to hear on video anyway. But it definitely does sound like it’s “hunting” at idle.

Injector problem sounds serious. Definitely want to go ahead and take care of it. How do I troubleshoot here/ test for these things you suggested?
silvermachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:17 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachine View Post
Gotcha. It is the 4 cylinder 8.2L Detroit diesel fuel pincher. It’s kind of hard to hear on video anyway. But it definitely does sound like it’s “hunting” at idle.
Actually, those are V8s. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachine View Post
Injector problem sounds serious. Definitely want to go ahead and take care of it. How do I troubleshoot here/ test for these things you suggested?
I'm afraid I'm better with general knowledge and where to look for info than hands-on experience in most cases. But do your research, the 8.2's fuel system is somewhat wonky and it is getting harder to find someone who understands it. There are a few forums dedicated to obscure engines such as the 8.2.

I did find this thread that might help :

https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=21512
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, gmc, idle, short bus, surge