Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Tank has a minor leak

New to me 2008 Thomas. I noticed my fuel tank is wet with fuel. And left a spot on my driveway about 12 inches around while it was parked today. Didn't notice if it’s wet on the the top but the sides are pretty wet. Any common leak areas near the top of the tank on these Thomas buses? I'm thinking one of the fuel lines are leaking and fuel flowing back down from motor after I shut it off?

I haven't had the chance to get under and investigate thoroughly yet and I was hoping to get a suggestion where to start. Bus has 3/4 tank right now.

I have not filled the bus since I've owned it and I do have some rust issues on this bus and maybe a steel line rusted?

dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I would not think that there are any unaddressed leaking tank issues with ANY school bus. Get under there ASAP and see what is going on.

P.S. Your local Freightliner dealer can tell you if there are any recalls for your bus.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

Looks like the front tank straps are starting to cause issues. I'm going to need a a tank or a liner? I've heard of liners but never seen or used. seems to me if you have to remove the tank to install the liner you might as well replace the tank.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
That sucks. My bus has some rust and I dread if the tank rots out because removing it can be a pain. If it does happen I will remove the tank and weld a patch in the problem areas. You can legally weld a fuel tank, but some precautions are needed when doing the job.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
That sucks. My bus has some rust and I dread if the tank rots out because removing it can be a pain. If it does happen I will remove the tank and weld a patch in the problem areas. You can legally weld a fuel tank, but some precautions are needed when doing the job.
thanks for the tip. it does suck because initially I thought I had a rust bucket because the back side has some holes. But underneath its mostly surface rust. This looks to be where the straps are rubbing on the tank as rust formed there.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
NO NO NO you won't get away with tightening a fuel line, that's blind optimism on your part, you have salt under a strap and it has rusted through to the fuel, I fix them all the time. Drain all the fuel, drop the tank (the bolts will be rusted also...more problems) and get it patched if only in a few spots, otherwise you will need a new tank. I checked a couple truck junk yards for one of my customers and they said if they had any good used tanks they could sell one a week, that is how much demand there is on used tanks BUT because it's a bus you might get lucky and find one. Be sure to purge tank with a running engine removing all oxygen before you weld, I got both my 60 gallon tanks powder coated so it wouldn't happen again. Asphalt impregnated cotton straps is what you put between your tank and straps to resist rusting. Check fuel lines while in there.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm surprised you have a 2008 rusting out already. We have some that are 20+ years old and haven't rusted. Normally when they start getting near that point we get rid of them. I've only replaced one, and I can tell you the tank alone wasn't cheap, let alone all the fuel line fittings, straps, etc that were rusted and damaged as well.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'm surprised you have a 2008 rusting out already. We have some that are 20+ years old and haven't rusted. Normally when they start getting near that point we get rid of them. I've only replaced one, and I can tell you the tank alone wasn't cheap, let alone all the fuel line fittings, straps, etc that were rusted and damaged as well.
Yes, I was kind of surprised. while this bus has some rust holes on the back and one or two small ones near the wheel wells overall its not too bad. The tank is covered in surface rust and it appears to be leaking about halfway up the front strap. Not sure if the strap had rubber or maybe incorrectly installed. The bus was not used much and I'm thinking it sat with rust on it never getting the chance to rinse off.

I found a new tank at cleveland tank for $650 with straps and rubber brings my total to $750. I currently have LQK searching for a used tank but will have to determine if a used tank is worth it once they get back to me with a price
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I see you're in OH.
There's a couple bus specific salvage yards in OH. There's a "where are the good junkyards located?" thread on here somewhere...
I'll bet you get a better price from one of them or at least avoid shipping if you're near enough to pick it up yourself. Certainly worth a call or two...

If the strap was loose, the tank would bounce and rub...

One of my straps is broken -- seems no damage there but I'm afeared of what I'll see when I get the front strap off...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Skoolie

Thanks for the tip. I’ve contacted a few of them. One does not resell tanks and one that has them used wants $450. I have not given up yet but it looks like new at Cleveland tank is the best option
Old 02-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Skoolie

I pulled the trigger and bought a tank at Cleveland Tank. I pick up next week and start the install soon.

There's no room at all above the tank when installed. Does anyone know if I be able to lower the tank a bit to disconnect everything?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
A lot of bus builders have an access panel in the floor to get to the sender and lines.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #13
Skoolie

Got the old tank pulled and I was able to access all connections via the access panel in the floor. Glad I pulled it because it was a mess. The design of these Thomas tanks have a frame of thick metal at the front and rear. The problem is that frame allows crap to accumulate at each bottom end of the tank and rust builds up here. This tank was way more rusty than everything else around it. Not sure if the wet fuel inside attracts moisture or what. Got the area around the tank all wire brushed and applied Ospho as well. Hope to get the new tank installed ASAP.

For the 50 gallons of diesel in the tank I was able to score a 55 gallon drum that had Canola oil in it. This and a drill pump worked perfect to drain this old tank. I think I'll use it as a grey water tank when I'm finished
Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
That sounds like a double-tank score to me!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That sounds like a double-tank score to me!

Yep. I bought two of these food grade tanks. One for fresh and the one I used for diesel transfer the grey tank
Old 09-20-2021, 07:25 AM   #16

Year: 2007
I am new to the skoolie world and dealing with the same leak issue on a 2007 Thomas that is new to me. There should be an access panel in the floor of the bus, correct? Any words of wisdom re dropping the tank and reconnecting from someone who has been through this?
EdAuer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAuer1 View Post
I am new to the skoolie world and dealing with the same leak issue on a 2007 Thomas that is new to me. There should be an access panel in the floor of the bus, correct? Any words of wisdom re dropping the tank and reconnecting from someone who has been through this?
there is access in floor to disconnect sending unit. and if you read above my solution to transfer any fuel to plastic barrel. The bolts holding the tank in were easy to get too. All in all a fairly easy job. Just support the tank when unbolting the brackets as its bulky and fairly heavy. (can't remember exactly but probably around 125 pounds)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #18

Thanks! I had emptied the tank using the same method you mentioned yesterday. Hopefully the rest goes smooth from here.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #19
Skoolie

depending on what you want to do you may be able to have the tank repaired. I had already purchased the replacement tank before I removed. But honestly my tank could possible have been repaired but thats if you can find a place to repair it. These tanks are built well and made with very thick metal.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #20

I found someone willing to repair it once I get the tank to him. So I am hoping it can be repaired so I don't have to source a replacement.