Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Tc2000 tranny swap

Hey all, I have a 97 bluebird TC2000 with the 5.9 Cummins and the AT545. I just picked up a Winnebago motorhome with a blown 12v 5.9 from being over heated. It has an MD3060 behind it that I was thinking of putting in my bus. The MD3060 was supposed to have been rebuilt a short while ago. I tried to find a thread addressing this but could not find one. What are your thoughts on this? Is it just a simple swap and shorten the drive line and electrical and away I go or is it a lot more entailed than that? There's nothing wrong with the tranny that's in my bus right now its just that I would rather have the torque converter though.

Coldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Do not cut any wires, the cost of a new wiring harness will astound you, you need to salvage the wiring harness and TCU intact from the motorhome
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what Kubla said.. and the secondary trans mounts.. you will either have a cross member near the tailshaft or it will be secondary mounted on the front sdide mounts of the trans... you will need to re-create the seciondary mounts... im not sure on a TC2000 which style they used.. you may be abnle to re-use the mount from the motorhome..

Wiring.. Kubla has it right.. dont cut a single wire till you map it all out..

carefully untape and unwrap the wiring harness from its looms.. you will have a large connector and a couple small ones... and then you'll have a TCM which will have 2 large connectors on it.. like Kubla says, dont cut this harness into pieces until you know what you are doing..

you will want to identify several wires that go to the motorhome itself..

1. +12 BAT - battery power all the time that goes to the motorhome from the TCM
2. +12 Ignition - +12 volts to the TCMwith ignition power only
3. Ground - ground wire
4. Throttle inputs. there will be a throttle box.. im not sure how the cummins did it on the mechanicals from the factory, however there will be either a pump mounted TPS sensor or a cable that goes to an electronic box from the pedal or from the pump.. the harness from that throttle box will likely go directly to the TCM harness.

5. shifter - the 3060 will have an electronic shifter of either the pushbutton type or T-handle type.. it will have connector to the harness on the TCM.

in my opinion its worth cutting apart the motorhome to retrieve the wiring systems as intact as possible.. then you know what you have and can decide if you need to cut and splice the harness to install into the bus..

from the motorhome mechanically you will re-use the flexplate, mounting rings, and probably even the cooling lines since on the 3000 they are #12 vs the #8 or #10 that the AT545 has... or you can make new ones..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote