Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.0L v8 IHC
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
The Hated 9.0 v8

Alright so we came into this adventure with no knowledge of bus motors. We happened upon our bus, and being the inexperienced bus owners bought it up. I will say our motor runs like a top but I have been getting a lot of mixed review on the 9.0 v8 IHC, AT545 trans. I understand it is a low powered motor, our bus weighed a little over 15,000 with the the seats, I will be going to a weight station this month to see how much she is once mostly everything is built on the bus. What kind of problems will I see down the road, things to look for? I am assuming my bus will be between 20-25k(hopefully, i don't have a CDL). The at545 is weighted for 30k pounds. Could you see any problems with driving this thing up hills besides going slow and watching the trans temp, motor temp?

Now I know there will be a lot of you that will tell me to throw this motor off the side of a boat, but this is what I got so I will make it work. We will drive it until she kicks the bucket, then do a motor swap.

Any and all advice will be appreciated, let her rip.

Anyone with the 9.0 have good or bad stories to tell?

theradiumdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by theradiumdial View Post
Alright so we came into this adventure with no knowledge of bus motors. We happened upon our bus, and being the inexperienced bus owners bought it up. I will say our motor runs like a top but I have been getting a lot of mixed review on the 9.0 v8 IHC, AT545 trans. I understand it is a low powered motor, our bus weighed a little over 15,000 with the the seats, I will be going to a weight station this month to see how much she is once mostly everything is built on the bus. What kind of problems will I see down the road, things to look for? I am assuming my bus will be between 20-25k(hopefully, i don't have a CDL). The at545 is weighted for 30k pounds. Could you see any problems with driving this thing up hills besides going slow and watching the trans temp, motor temp?

Now I know there will be a lot of you that will tell me to throw this motor off the side of a boat, but this is what I got so I will make it work. We will drive it until she kicks the bucket, then do a motor swap.

Any and all advice will be appreciated, let her rip.

Anyone with the 9.0 have good or bad stories to tell?
The gross weight determines if you need a CDL. This is determined when the bus is made.

You bought it- ENJOY IT! If any signs of problems pop up, pawn it off on someone who just watched some HGTV tiny house hoopla and wants a bus right that second.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Almost There

Yeh our bus is close to being finished so i am hoping it will be under 26k, I assume it will after making some calculations. But we won't know until we go and get it weighed, luckily we have a truckers gas station right down the road.

Ha we just started seeing all these folk "house hunting" for unreasonably priced builds. Isn't the whole point of a skoolie or tiny home to build most of it yourself!? Funny enough we had no idea there were people turning busses into houses a year and a half ago. We were trying to figure out a way we could travel with our band, but also were looking for way to get out of the rat race. Someone said bus and boom we realized there was a huge community of people doing this. Luckily i have mechanical and carpentry tools and skills. Each of our four tribemembers has their own set of skills. Plus we are living in my aunts backyard shed and backyard where we have been building this thing. All come together to make this thing happen and we are getting closer everyday (splitting everything 4 ways helps a lot too)

Anyways I got really off track, yep we will drive and maintain it till she poops out.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I don't think you're understanding what GROSS WEIGHT RATING is.

Quote:
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Almost There

Apparently not, I was under the assumption that it was the weight after everything was built.... Still learning, thanks though. Now I am really looking dumb.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Nah, man.
You learn somethin new everyday. Now ya know about GVWR.
My first bus was a Ford/Thomas with a gas engine. I'm on my third bus now. I didn't know squat about buses when I got my first one, man.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
idk for sure, but i was under the impression that a bus over 26k could have the gvw marked down when its re-titled as an rv.

i didnt have to do that.
the tag on my bus says -
front axle-----------12,000
rear axle------------19,000
gross----------------25,800

the front and rear add up to 31k, but gvw is lower
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Almost There

Yes, I have my greatest "ah ha" moments after I get something wrong, or break something.

My bus is rated at 24,500-Front 7,500- Rear 17,000. So I'm good! Thanks man.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That'll work, unless you want to cruise Canada. They require some sort of air brake endorsement to drive a vehicle with air brakes through their border. I don't know the answer to that problem.

Here a class "A" license involves physicals and random vehicle inspections, not to mention being expensive. Would we have to get a class "B" license, since we actually don't seem to have an specific air brake endorsement, at least not in Oregon?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That'll work, unless you want to cruise Canada. They require some sort of air brake endorsement to drive a vehicle with air brakes through their border. I don't know the answer to that problem.

Here a class "A" license involves physicals and random vehicle inspections, not to mention being expensive. Would we have to get a class "B" license, since we actually don't seem to have an specific air brake endorsement, at least not in Oregon?
Im curious about that as well, we plan on heading into canada at some point. Plan on calling a driving school in British Colombia, or their DMV tomorrow. If I find out anything on this subject I'll start a new thread.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Any machine that is hated will suffer, while care and consideration can make a lemon purr.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Almost There

Haha that is very true, the fact is we love our bus and she does purrrr. My problem is that their are so many haters of the 9.0, rightfully so because there are a few draw backs to this engine compared to a lot of others.

I'm hoping to hear from anybody on this site that has some real life experience with using these in a converted bus. cowlitzcoach gave me some good info. Any stories or tips will be appreciated, good or bad!