Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Aaaaaah... I can see it all, now! Thanx!!!

Pretty bus y'all have there, btw.

How long ago did you do the mod? And, if you dont mind my asking, how's it hanging?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
This is what I did. Bought a tip for the end. Used band clamps. Painted it with high heat spray paint. Muffler is still there for now. Went out passenger side to not have to go over the driveshaft. I ride in the right lane mostly so only smoking out people on the sidewalkAttachment 32945Attachment 32946Attachment 32947
I hope not to vent on the passenger side (which is frankly a misnomer. Taking into account what our rigs were originally designed for, both sides are technically passenger sides. 180° pax. But I digress...) Little likelihood of there being an atmospheric ambience impact, but that's my happy camping side, and I always try to be polite, and off-gas away from polite company.

Screw the pedestrians! Get outta my way! Beep-Beep

But if unfeasible, that crap is getting blown out on the shotgun side!

Little confused on orientation of what I'm looking at on the interior image. Is that the front tire in the foto's frame left?

Thank you for the most excellent input! [emoji111]

Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What "I" beams are you contemplating drilling?
Got a call to return, its part of my reply to your propane tank. Ah hell, she can wait for a few more...

Not I beams in the strictest sense: My stringers, rafters, ribs, whateva the correct name is, are 2

[

shaped beams welded back to back. About 9.25" on center, 6.5" gap in beteeen facing ends.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Is this the "I" beam you refer to? It's only an "I" configuration where 2 pieces of flooring come together, between them are channels welded to the floor I was able to drill and mount on a seam lip, At the other end what I did was mark the 3 bolt holes and using a 1/4" drill, drilled through the channel and through the inside floor. I then took a 1" hole saw and drilled through the top floor skin revealing the inside of the channel. I then drilled 1/2" holes through the bottom of the channel. I slathered some JB Weld on the underside of the head of the 3 bolts and using a pocket magnet drove them into their holes. Tank mount was straight forward from there.
Attached Thumbnails
20190507_191312.jpg   20190507_191339 (1).jpg   20190326_150602.jpg   20190326_150338.jpg   20190326_145438.jpg  

20190326_150705.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Any concerns regarding state motor vehicle inspection not allowing exhaust modifications like that going out the side in front of rears?
I'd bet California wouldn't allow, and potentially others???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Maybe that's a difference between your IH Genesis & my IH Thomas.

Great explanation and pix, thanx! I had to resort to your method when putting in 1/2" all-thread to hang my black tank from. 3 of the corners I could drill thru and double nut/lock washer from underneath.

The 4th one was a complete beeyotch: tank parameters & clearances are such that I had to punch a hole in the deck to brace a ratchet agin the top nut, & open-end wrench from below to do the lock nut dealio.

Sooooo... won't be the first time I've attacked those so-called I beams, tho it's good to know that I'm not performing some heinous structural sabotage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Is this the "I" beam you refer to? It's only an "I" configuration where 2 pieces of flooring come together, between them are channels welded to the floor I was able to drill and mount on a seam lip, At the other end what I did was mark the 3 bolt holes and using a 1/4" drill, drilled through the channel and through the inside floor. I then took a 1" hole saw and drilled through the top floor skin revealing the inside of the channel. I then drilled 1/2" holes through the bottom of the channel. I slathered some JB Weld on the underside of the head of the 3 bolts and using a pocket magnet drove them into their holes. Tank mount was straight forward from there.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Howdy neighbor, thanx for commenting on my thread!

Well, former neighbor... Lived in NH for 15 years, or so. Dover, Seabrook, and (viva) Manch-Vegas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Any concerns regarding state motor vehicle inspection not allowing exhaust modifications like that going out the side in front of rears?
Brokedown's bus was built that way, & NinjaKitty modified their bus with no apparent repercussions.

Here in TX, finding the right, out-in-the-boonies inspxn station helped, but even then, I very much doubt that mod wouldn't twitch, let alone raise an eyebrow! It's concern & mission is, "Is the vehicle safe to operate?"

I don't know if you're near the seacoast, but I have an inspx station in NH to avoid like a gal with cold sores!

If you need their info, I'll look for it. Suffice to say, the goat-flicker damn near doubled the cost of my $3k bus by insisting that both king pins had to be replaced in order to pass & score my stickers.

I hadn't logged too many miles at that point, certainly enough to tell if the handling was verklempt.

It wasn't, and I got screwed without benefit of dinner and dancing beforehand! ( rant is now concluded)

Anyhoo, read on some threads here that you're in the market. If I see any handi-capable bus come up on my local CLs, I'll certainly let you know.

CA is crazyland, IMHO. Lived in SoCal for a dozen years, delight & relief to see it pass into my rear views as I finally headed back to the Right Coast. CA legislative standards are the toughest in the country, often surpassing even the feds for over the toppedness!

So, yeah... maybe.

Check your state DMV, DPS, DOT, EIEIO, whatever it's called, kids, before trying this at home and going gonzo with your saw! So long as it's legal in the state of registration, you should ought be golden when away... 🤞
Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Aaaaaah... I can see it all, now! Thanx!!!

Pretty bus y'all have there, btw.

How long ago did you do the mod? And, if you dont mind my asking, how's it hanging?I hope not to vent on the passenger side (which is frankly a misnomer. Taking into account what our rigs were originally designed for, both sides are technically passenger sides. 180° pax. But I digress...) Little likelihood of there being an atmospheric ambience impact, but that's my happy camping side, and I always try to be polite, and off-gas away from polite company.

Screw the pedestrians! Get outta my way! Beep-Beep

But if unfeasible, that crap is getting blown out on the shotgun side!

Little confused on orientation of what I'm looking at on the interior image. Is that the front tire in the foto's frame left?

Thank you for the most excellent input! [emoji111]
Thanks!

It's been that way about 3 months and 1000ish miles.

She doesn't really get started often when people would be over there. Plus, I was in a hurry to do it, so going over the driveshaft wasn't gonna happen.

I can take a better pic tomorrow. It's all the rear passenger tire I believe.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm from Florida, what's an inspection???
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #29
Bus Nut

I don't think a couple of 1/4" - 1/2" holes are going to make much of a difference in the strength of the chassis or any other part of the bus
Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #30
Bus Nut

This picture? That bottom is where the exhaust exits by the tool box and takes two 45° back to the main exhaustClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190507_170545.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	32970
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
I'm from Florida, what's an inspection???
Consider yourself lucky.
The annual state inspections are a way for the state and sanctioned private garages to gouge the public for repairs that may or may not be needed.
There are exceptions in that there are shops that are more lenient than the state allows for stringent safety regulations, but they are few and far between...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Good gouge, I apprecite it.
Quote:
Thanks!

It's been that way about 3 months and 1000ish miles.

She doesn't really get started often when people would be over there. Plus, I was in a hurry to do it, so going over the driveshaft wasn't gonna happen.

I can take a better pic tomorrow. It's all the rear passenger tire I believe.
Nah, no need- I'm good, thanx again!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Yup. Case in point. Sanctioned "highway" robbery.
Quote:
Consider yourself lucky.
The annual state inspections are a way for the state and sanctioned private garages to gouge the public for repairs that may or may not be needed.
There are exceptions in that there are shops that are more lenient than the state allows for stringent safety regulations, but they are few and far between...
Just one of the wonderful ways NH.GOV makes up for lost revenue from sales tax...
Old 05-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so why NOT go out the right side? im def going in front of the wheel wells just because a nig source of nasty rattling under my bus is that exhaust going over the rear suspension.. looks like on mine there are already holes drilled in the cross member where exhaist bracket hanger fits perferctly... perhaps like it couldve been an option to route it there..

gpoing to the driver side means im goingto have to get pipes custom bent to go over the driveshaft and somehow route around the air tanks. and A/C lines.. (short bus not alot of room front to back)..
going out the passenger side just means cutting out the muffler and using a couple straight pieces , 90s, band clamps and hangers and done.

sizewise they had 3" going into the muffler and 4" coming out then back down to 3" for the last foot. and the turndown... is there any method to that madness?

im thinking i'll just go 3" all the way (muffler deleted)..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Howdy Christopher, thanx for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so why NOT go out the right side? im def going in front of the wheel wells just because a nig source of nasty rattling under my bus is that exhaust going over the rear suspension..
As I replied to NinjaKitty (#21 in the thread), avoidance of venting exhaust fumes into the camping side of the bus. As low a probability impact that is, prolly not worth the extra effort and hemorrhaging (Seem to clip my noggin at least once every time I'm working down under)

Quote:
...(short bus not alot of room front to back)..
going out the passenger side just means cutting out the muffler and using a couple straight pieces , 90s, band clamps and hangers and done.
Yup, I remember being introduced to the Red Bird.
Occam's Razor, I hear ya, man. If there's an easy way or a tough way, I often consider the more difficult approach. Guess I'm a mechanical masochist...

Quote:
Im thinking i'll just go 3" all the way (muffler deleted)..
-Christopher
Hope to ditch the muffler, too. Think I'll see any noticeable improvements after eliminating that flow restriction? I'm guessing not, but I'm still a total noob with diesels!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
Bus Nut

I'll ditch the muffler once it gets some rust holes in it.

If I ditch the muffler, I could run the exhaust out the driver side behind the front tire I believe.

Is there any value or gain in having a super short exhaust?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'll ditch the muffler once it gets some rust holes in it.

If I ditch the muffler, I could run the exhaust out the driver side behind the front tire I believe.

Is there any value or gain in having a super short exhaust?
Inquiring minds want to know! [emoji41]
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I don't have the time to read the other replies right now.

My exhaust comes down the right side of the engine and trans, enters the muffler, and dumps straight out in front of the right rear tires. It sticks proud of the rub rail about 2" or so, and is mitre cut at an angle parallel to the body.

My engine is NA, so it smokes more then what you turbo guys engines do.

I have no problem with soot on the wheels or body.

The reason you rear dump guys have soot issues on toads and the rear of your bus is because that area is a dead zone aerodynamically speaking.

In Ohio, we have no issues with exhaust exiting in front of the tires from the DOT. We do have to have a turn down facing the ground on it, and it can't be proud of the body.

No idea about california with CARB, DOT, etc. You guys do things different out there.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Inquiring minds want to know! [emoji41]
I think that would tend to gas the bus out - I plan on putting a stack behind the driver's window - I'll be carrying sled dogs, and when stopped, the dogs will be tied around the outside of the bus, for feeding, watering, pee time etc and unless the exhaust is diverted away l'll either be suffocating the dogs, or have to shut the motor off - at races, vehicles are parked side by side with only a few feet between them - gassing your neighbor's dogs is severely frowned upon ( not my dogs or rig )
Attached Thumbnails
dogs tied.jpg  
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Howdy, welcome, and thanx for commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I don't have the time to read the other replies right now.

My exhaust comes down the right side of the engine and trans, enters the muffler, and dumps straight out in front of the right rear tires. It sticks proud of the rub rail about 2" or so, and is mitre cut at an angle parallel to the body.

My engine is NA, so it smokes more then what you turbo guys engines do.

I have no problem with soot on the wheels or body.

The reason you rear dump guys have soot issues on toads and the rear of your bus is because that area is a dead zone aerodynamically speaking.

In Ohio, we have no issues with exhaust exiting in front of the tires from the DOT. We do have to have a turn down facing the ground on it, and it can't be proud of the body.

No idea about california with CARB, DOT, etc. You guys do things different out there.
Lotsa fun, the factory configuration. Two 45° to get it up and over the rear axle, exiting below bumper. Already covered, so no "visor" needed on the tip. Blasts straight out behind me.

Good to know I'm not looking at smutting my rubber up. I mean, how would it look with all that soot on my black rims?!

Oh yeah, that null zone can be a real drag... [emoji849]
On the other hand, with my VW slip-streaming behind me, the amazing fuel economy makes sense...