Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Funny! I fantasized about the same thing- too cool of of a look, but impracticable for my application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I think that would tend to gas the bus out - I plan on putting a stack behind the driver's window - I'll be carrying sled dogs, and when stopped, the dogs will be tied around the outside of the bus, for feeding, watering, pee time etc and unless the exhaust is diverted away l'll either be suffocating the dogs, or have to shut the motor off - at races, vehicles are parked side by side with only a few feet between them - gassing your neighbor's dogs is severely frowned upon ( not my dogs or rig )
Dunno, seems fair to me: I've been gassed out by many dawgs, why NOT return the favor..?

Tho I can see competitors getting a bit bitchy about their team being euthanized, en masse...

Old 05-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Funny! I fantasized about the same thing- too cool of of a look, but impracticable for my application.Dunno, seems fair to me: I've been gassed out by many dawgs, why NOT return the favor..?

Tho I can see competitors getting a bit bitchy about their team being euthanized, en masse...
yes, the rules for dog care are darn strict - you can be disqualified for minor infractions and banned from racing for something like touching a dog with an empty glove when the dog isn't behaving ( construed as hitting ) - I imagine gassing the neighbor's dogs could result in a lynching - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I don't have the time to read the other replies right now.

My exhaust comes down the right side of the engine and trans, enters the muffler, and dumps straight out in front of the right rear tires. It sticks proud of the rub rail about 2" or so, and is mitre cut at an angle parallel to the body.

My engine is NA, so it smokes more then what you turbo guys engines do.

I have no problem with soot on the wheels or body.

The reason you rear dump guys have soot issues on toads and the rear of your bus is because that area is a dead zone aerodynamically speaking.

In Ohio, we have no issues with exhaust exiting in front of the tires from the DOT. We do have to have a turn down facing the ground on it, and it can't be proud of the body.

No idea about california with CARB, DOT, etc. You guys do things different out there.

booyah what do you mean by proud of the rub rails. and proud of the body..

I newver knew about needing a turndown on side exit exhaist.. I see so many without it..

I do see turndoiwns on box trucks that have the exhaust exit straight out under the truck box.. (unoccupied space)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Yup. Case in point. Sanctioned "highway" robbery.Just one of the wonderful ways NH.GOV makes up for lost revenue from sales tax...
You know it brother!
The real shame is that whenever the state see's the need, they jack up property taxes to increase their slush funds.
The state should have a sales tax, (more fair than an income tax), to offset the ungodly high property taxes here.
Rant over...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

OK, I can kinda see it, if the dog is touched with an empty glove, a la old school duel challenge, *WHAP*. Must be an interesting story behind that rule & infractions against it carrying such severe penalties.
Quote:
yes, the rules for dog care are darn strict - you can be disqualified for minor infractions and banned from racing for something like touching a dog with an empty glove when the dog isn't behaving ( construed as hitting ) - I imagine gassing the neighbor's dogs could result in a lynching - lol
You think the perp would get off with just a lynching? A slow flaying sounds about right for killing a fellas' dogs.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Ooo, Ooo! I know this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

I newver knew about needing a turndown on side exit exhaist.. I see so many without it..

I do see turndoiwns on box trucks that have the exhaust exit straight out under the truck box.. (unoccupied space)..

-Christopher
Somewhat anachronistic here in the States, outside of the horsey community, more commonly used in the UK.

To stand above the surroundings, bas relief.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Not the "driving" reason for my departure, but sure nipped any future home sickness in the bud...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
You know it brother!
The real shame is that whenever the state see's the need, they jack up property taxes to increase their slush funds.
The state should have a sales tax, (more fair than an income tax), to offset the ungodly high property taxes here.
Rant over...
Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Quote:
OK, I can kinda see it, if the dog is touched with an empty glove, a la old school duel challenge, *WHAP*. Must be an interesting story behind that rule & infractions against it carrying such severe penalties.You think the perp would get off with just a lynching? A slow flaying sounds about right for killing a fellas' dogs.
humane treatment of the dogs is paramount at the races - striking a dog is immediate disqualification, even if the 'strike' is only the touch of a glove - the sole exception is if you have to break up a fight - then you break up a fight as quickly as you can using what ever means necessary
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Preachin' to the choir, Parson.
Quote:
humane treatment of the dogs is paramount at the races - striking a dog is immediate disqualification, even if the 'strike' is only the touch of a glove - the sole exception is if you have to break up a fight - then you break up a fight as quickly as you can using what ever means necessary
I'd like to beat the snot outta any jackwad that beats his dawgs.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Hereby and henceforth calling to curtail tangents, and return to this thread's original intended content.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled buscast...
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Before I put this tip on, anything near it (like my MC tie downs) would melt very quickly. Now the high heat/soot is re-routed.
Attached Thumbnails
BB exhaust.jpg  
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Thanx for the kwik-fix tip! Down and (now not so) dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Before I put this tip on, anything near it (like my MC tie downs) would melt very quickly. Now the high heat/soot is re-routed.
Speaking of tips: the one I'm looking at here is a slip-on 90° elbow, right?

How did you determine optimal deflection angle to the side? Play with it some, or use the tried and true Mark-One eyeball?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Thanx for the kwik-fix tip! Down and (now not so) dirty.Speaking of tips: the one I'm looking at here is a slip-on 90° elbow, right?

How did you determine optimal deflection angle to the side? Play with it some, or use the tried and true Mark-One eyeball?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best guess on the angle
Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Guessing you sprayed it down with hi-temp black before the install. Image on Amazon looked kinda nude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Umm, OK.

42°-44°..?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
Chris,

Proud as in sticks out, as in outside the vertical plane created by the bus body or rub rail.

Not sure if that rule is commercial. Ohio has different inspectors for commercial and school buses. I know the school bus rules require a turn down and it must exit on the driver's side of the bus. I think they're more worried about kids walking along and being burnt by it more then anything.

For example, we had a few buses that had an exhaust straight out through the rear bumper. A few years ago the inspector said no bueno, and they all had turn downs installed. We even had to patch the hole in the bumper the old pipe went through.

I have seen some buses with straight exhaust tips, but they were all rear exit and might have been overlooked.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Chris,

Proud as in sticks out, as in outside the vertical plane created by the bus body or rub rail.

Not sure if that rule is commercial. Ohio has different inspectors for commercial and school buses. I know the school bus rules require a turn down and it must exit on the driver's side of the bus. I think they're more worried about kids walking along and being burnt by it more then anything.

For example, we had a few buses that had an exhaust straight out through the rear bumper. A few years ago the inspector said no bueno, and they all had turn downs installed. We even had to patch the hole in the bumper the old pipe went through.

I have seen some buses with straight exhaust tips, but they were all rear exit and might have been overlooked.
Interesting stuff.. I wonder if Columbus got a waiver as we still have tons of IC busses rattling down the road with the hole in the bumper pipes.. no idea who came up with that design.. I do notice all the new ones for the suburb district southwestern city have driver side turn down exits..
I notice shuttle busses in town with passenger side exits that don’t even have turn downs but those are behind the rear wheels.
I don’t carry a dot number so no inspection . I’m gonna go passenger sis in front of the rear wheels with a turn down.
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
My PA bus has the exhaust straight out the back under the bumper. No turn downs. Busses in Jersey used to be the same, until recent years they didn’t have turndowns. Could just be a styling thing. Could be for a multitude of reasons. My guess being passerby being burnt, smelly fumes vented down as best as possible, and to avoid soot on rear ends of buses.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
My brother's wife told me she broke up a dog fight at the park one day when a stray attacked her friend's dog.
"Stick your thumb up the attacking dog's ass."
is what she said she was told to do, and did.
The dog immediately responds, and takes off running....fast!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My brother's wife told me she broke up a dog fight at the park one day when a stray attacked her friend's dog.
"Stick your thumb up the attacking dog's ass."
is what she said she was told to do, and did.
The dog immediately responds, and takes off running....fast!
lol - learn something new every day !
Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #60
Bus Crazy

Originally titled in VA, my 3800 has the same setup. If it weren't for my VW toad getting blackfaced on long pulls, I wouldn't've been too worked up to look into this work around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARGEAR View Post
My PA bus has the exhaust straight out the back under the bumper. No turn downs. Busses in Jersey used to be the same, until recent years they didn’t have turndowns. Could just be a styling thing. Could be for a multitude of reasons. My guess being passerby being burnt, smelly fumes vented down as best as possible, and to avoid soot on rear ends of buses.
Given that a bus has all the sleek, aerodynamic styling of a cinder block, I wonder how effective that small deflection would be at diverting the smoke from smutting up the backside.
Particularly at highway speeds, when the low pressure vortex develops. With that str8 exhaust, I haven't seen any accumulation there on mine, but that may be due to the Bug's causing an air flow disturbance in the drag zone...