Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Gotta wonder:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My brother's wife told me she broke up a dog fight at the park one day when a stray attacked her friend's dog.
"Stick your thumb up the attacking dog's ass."
is what she said she was told to do, and did.
The dog immediately responds, and takes off running....fast!
How long does she wear her nails? Meathooks, or trimmed?
Reminds me of my buddy's experience in SEAL parachute training:
The DI told told them that, if they didn't jump, he'd jamb a thumb up their bum.
When it came time for my friend, he panicked and grabbed the door frame, refusing to go out the door, and the DI made good on his threat!
I asked, "Did you jump?"
"Yeah," he replied, "a little, at first..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
lol - learn something new every day !
If one is fortunate!
We now return you to our regularly scheduled buscast, already in progress.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Originally titled in VA, my 3800 has the same setup. If it weren't for my VW toad getting blackfaced on long pulls, I wouldn't've been too worked up to look into this work around.Given that a bus has all the sleek, aerodynamic styling of a cinder block, I wonder how effective that small deflection would be at diverting the smoke from smutting up the backside.
Particularly at highway speeds, when the low pressure vortex develops. With that str8 exhaust, I haven't seen any accumulation there on mine, but that may be due to the Bug's causing an air flow disturbance in the drag zone...
I know one thing . A school bus sounds bad ass when you take the muffler off!!
Also seems to spin the cheek dyno a little more too
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Roger that! Very naughty donkey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know one thing . A school bus sounds bad ass when you take the muffler off!!
Also seems to spin the cheek dyno a little more too
Watched the esteemed Mr. Mullet's YouTube last night. Niiiiiii-ice!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
Top exhaust mount

Quote:
Lotsa folx have talked about re-routing their exhaust to vent by the left rear wheels.

Some have gone fore, some aft.

I'd like to know if there are any significant impacts to the rubber getting sooted whilst cruising, after the forward choice had been opted for.

Having my toad look like it received the worst Al Jolson makeup, ever, it seems to be a wicked good thing to do. My black tank is mounted behind said wheels, so I don't anticipate any cosmetic concerns.

Tho I wonder if it's valve can be expected to smut up, and what safe clearance/shielding to prevent heat damage, since the exhaust would be venting near it's shallow end...

Choices (or relevant links) for placement, cutting, re-routing, and hanging the new configuration will be greatly appreciated!

Ours is an ex-transit bus with a rear engine, the stack from the diesel blows up out of the top of the bus at the rear. Very little exhaust residue gets on the rear.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #65
Skoolie

I deleted my stock muffler and got a 4 inch Magnaflow
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
I staighted piped mine and put a chrome 5 inch tip at the back. Sounds like a big truck. Also put larger injectors. It sounds narley. Even had some harley davidson drivers turn there heads
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_090408.jpg  
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Lucky you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
Ours is an ex-transit bus with a rear engine, the stack from the diesel blows up out of the top of the bus at the rear. Very little exhaust residue gets on the rear.
Both for having a stack,
AND a Gillig!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Howdy guys, thanx for the inputs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I deleted my stock muffler and got a 4 inch Magnaflow
How is that working out for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjgoertzen View Post
I staighted piped mine and put a chrome 5 inch tip at the back. Sounds like a big truck. Also put larger injectors. It sounds narley. Even had some harley davidson drivers turn there heads
Same question, and kudos for making the ol' gal loud and proud!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #69
Bus Nut

On the dog nose buses, I like the ones that people have run straight up beside the drivers window. Opens up the bottom of the bus and blows the exhaust up and away.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

That would be a good look for my dawg-nose: all chromed to a fare-thee-well, big honking heat shield, soot now coating my deck and cargo... [emoji16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
On the dog nose buses, I like the ones that people have run straight up beside the drivers window. Opens up the bottom of the bus and blows the exhaust up and away.
That dang pipe does occupy and render unusable a pile of potential sub-floor stowage space.
How does one get around the muffler issue? I ask, because I have never even once broken any laws!
(Well, of physics...)

Thanx for your comment!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Quote:
That would be a good look for my dawg-nose: all chromed to a fare-thee-well, big honking heat shield, soot now coating my deck and cargo... [emoji16]That dang pipe does occupy and render unusable a pile of potential sub-floor stowage space.
How does one get around the muffler issue? I ask, because I have never even once broken any laws!
(Well, of physics...)

Thanx for your comment!
Delete the muffler, just run straight pipe. Sounds better and allows the engine to breathe better.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
Quote:
Howdy guys, thanx for the inputs!How is that working out for you?Same question, and kudos for making the ol' gal loud and proud!
It is a tad louder in the back when im luggin or right at my shift point. But cruisin its just fine. All of my diesels are modded. So exhaust is first to go.
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
That would be a good look for my dawg-nose: all chromed to a fare-thee-well, big honking heat shield, soot now coating my deck and cargo... [emoji16]That dang pipe does occupy and render unusable a pile of potential sub-floor stowage space.
(Well, of physics...)

Thanx for your comment!

if you want to spoil your fun and keep your record unbroken, a muffler fits fine on a stack
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am running dual exhaust out each side in front of the wheels. Straight thru mufflers. Next to a jersey wall it is a good bit of bark inside, otherwise reasonable.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

First and foremost: Thanx to all y'all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Delete the muffler, just run straight pipe. Sounds better and allows the engine to breathe better.
That is trending to be the opinion of all of the serious gear heads on the forum.
Check out Johnny Mullet's Vlog.
Shaky camera work and needs editing, but it sure sounds sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjgoertzen View Post
It is a tad louder in the back when im luggin or right at my shift point. But cruisin its just fine. All of my diesels are modded. So exhaust is first to go.
Duly noted, sir. No longer, "taking it under advisement."
Quote:
if you want to spoil your fun and keep your record unbroken, a muffler fits fine on a stack
I ain't got nothing to lose. Slow is fine... And I did say the Laws of Physics, not Phun!
The bus' motive power, inclusive of the exhaust system, was scrupulously and meticulously designed by a team of mechanical engineers, every man-jack of them blessed with an anally-retentive attention to detail (leave us hope).
All aspects; intake/outflow charts, angular momentum, vector analysis, fluid flow dynamics, tensile strength under variable conditions, Boyle's Law, thermodynamics, calculus under multiple differentials to calculate the integers needed (based on focus groups' focused on digits dudes definitely dig), all in order to create a total final displacement for an engine series to have a really cool-sounding numetical name. 444E notwithstanding...
Along with coursework in Chemistry, Statistics, Differential Calculus, Underwater Basket-Weaving (damned demanded Humanities-required courses...), and, of course- Physics.
Since they wrote the rules (ie, Laws) on our motor-vators, factoring in, and designing for, the resistance of back-pressurizing, I am unable to even bend the Laws of Physics! [At least not until I get my particle accelerator back from Manny, Moe, & Jack. (Forget Jack. He's ing-off somewhere. Prolly the Ladies Room.)]
'Course, if the only reason a noise-contrictive, flow-resistive metallic baffle was included to merely comply with the Law of the Land, well... that's a different fettle of kish.
Their laws I can gleefully plot to circumvent!
Or, to put it more simply (Thank Dawg, no doubt...):
Gone-ZO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I am running dual exhaust out each side in front of the wheels. Straight thru mufflers. Next to a jersey wall it is a good bit of bark inside, otherwise reasonable.
Gots to love that hard surface echo!!!
A well-tuned engine sounds extra cool in/alongside; tunnels, sound ablative freeway walls, jersey barriers, road cuts (especially ones going into igneous rock), Dwayne Johnson...
Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
since my exhaust is already situated on the passenger side, it makes since to have it exit through the passenger side. Saving time and money having to navigate the driveline. I don't ever think there will be prolonged smog breathing by anyone other than the few minutes it takes to warm up. This is on my list of things, but way down there. someday!!!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
First and foremost: Thanx to all y'all!That is trending to be the opinion of all of the serious gear heads on the forum.
Shaky camera work and needs editing, but it sure sounds sweet!Duly noted, sir. No longer, "taking it under advisement."I ain't got nothing to lose. Slow is fine... And I did say the Laws of Physics, not Phun!
The bus' motive power, inclusive of the exhaust system, was scrupulously and meticulously designed by a team of mechanical engineers, every man-jack of them blessed with an anally-retentive attention to detail (leave us hope).
All aspects; intake/outflow charts, angular momentum, vector analysis, fluid flow dynamics, tensile strength under variable conditions, Boyle's Law, thermodynamics, calculus under multiple differentials to calculate the integers needed (based on focus groups' focused on digits dudes definitely dig), all in order to create a total final displacement for an engine series to have a really cool-sounding numetical name. 444E notwithstanding...
Along with coursework in Chemistry, Statistics, Differential Calculus, Underwater Basket-Weaving (damned demanded Humanities-required courses...), and, of course- Physics.
Since they wrote the rules (ie, Laws) on our motor-vators, factoring in, and designing for, the resistance of back-pressurizing, I am unable to even bend the Laws of Physics! [At least not until I get my particle accelerator back from Manny, Moe, & Jack. (Forget Jack. He's ing-off somewhere. Prolly the Ladies Room.)]
'Course, if the only reason a noise-contrictive, flow-resistive metallic baffle was included to merely comply with the Law of the Land, well... that's a different fettle of kish.
Gone-ZOGots to love that hard surface echo!!!
A well-tuned engine sounds extra cool in/alongside; tunnels, sound ablative freeway walls, jersey barriers, road cuts (especially ones going into igneous rock), Dwayne Johnson...
granted the engineers did an admirable job within the restraints of their mandate, but the fun police don't give a damn about that and would rather we all wore our neck scarf stuffed deeply down our throat - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Quote:
granted the engineers did an admirable job within the restraints of their mandate, but the fun police don't give a damn about that and would rather we all wore our neck scarf stuffed deeply down our throat - lol
Still waiting on that global warming, climate change, or whatever they're calling it now?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

My exhaust, post-muffler, is on the shotgun side, too. Right of center.
Kinda like me- depending on who offers an opinion. Other issues, I'm Left of center.
But consistently off center...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
since my exhaust is already situated on the passenger side, it makes since to have it exit through the passenger side. Saving time and money having to navigate the driveline. I don't ever think there will be prolonged smog breathing by anyone other than the few minutes it takes to warm up. This is on my list of things, but way down there. someday!!!
No doubt Skoolie-Doo has more pressing, if less pressurized, needs!

Nearly missed this, must've posted just after writing the foregoing opus. Welcome & thankya!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #80
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
First and foremost: Thanx to all y'all!That is trending to be the opinion of all of the serious gear heads on the forum.
Shaky camera work and needs editing, but it sure sounds sweet!Duly noted, sir. No longer, "taking it under advisement."I ain't got nothing to lose. Slow is fine... And I did say the Laws of Physics, not Phun!
Gone-ZOGots to love that hard surface echo!!!
I think school bus engineering is overrated.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote