Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Throttle pedal too stiff for comfortable driving.

Our 2003 thomas has the electronic throttle pedal. Ive found it to be a little too stiff for comfortable driving. Meaning I feel like im having to make a good bit of effort to push on the pedal which fatigues my leg. Is there a way to adjust the return spring? Any other clever solutions? Ive tried adjusting my seat different ways and different techniques of resting my foot on it but nothing made a significant difference. I dont have cruise control but it is governed to 75mph so as long as you hold it down far enough it wont go over 75 unless its a really steep downhill, and it drives great at 75. Ive thought about putting a light spring behind the throttle to take some of the return pressure off but would rather not do that if I dont have to.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Almost There

adding cruise control

now I am considering adding cruise control. I see that some have accomplished this but I haven't seen how they were able to do that. My local Thomas dealer was not any help, they said they didn't want to mess with it. I found another dealer a couple hours away that said they would do it, but basically said it'll just be a surprise how much it winds up costing. I called Thomas and spoke to a man that spent a some time trying to help, but he was not able to find the "sales option code" in order to find any real information on what I would need to make it happen. Any other ideas on how to get this accomplished?
aridgedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Read this thread.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/a...rol-29668.html

It wanders a bit, but there's good information and it's about Thomas. You could PM some of the posters in there to get some of the schematics and such that they refer to.

Cruise control depends on what engine you have. Depending on the engine manufacturer, you may or may not be able to get some help from a local mechanic.

As mentioned in one of the post, and as is with mine, my high idle switches are also my cruise control switches.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Read this thread.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/a...rol-29668.html

It wanders a bit, but there's good information and it's about Thomas. You could PM some of the posters in there to get some of the schematics and such that they refer to.

Cruise control depends on what engine you have. Depending on the engine manufacturer, you may or may not be able to get some help from a local mechanic.

As mentioned in one of the post, and as is with mine, my high idle switches are also my cruise control switches.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I did forget to mention its the 5.9 cummins isb, allison 3060
aridgedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Cruise control is a fairly simple system. The vintage motorhome had it, electronics today make it even easier. It is next on my list to get working after the engine swap, the old system not going to work using a cable speedo and carb, it was on the new engine already. I had to generate the speed signal to the ECM, as the ABS system did it in the truck, and no ABS on a vintage motorhome.

I can see the liability issue making it not worth doing for a shop.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I installed a Rostra universal cruise control kit on our 91 ‘bird. It is all in the front of the coach inside the drivers electrical box and the pedal control area. It is connected to the accelerator pedal and works like a charm. About 350 dollars if I remember right. It was worth every penny. Amazon and evil-bay have them.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridgedell View Post
Thanks! I did forget to mention its the 5.9 cummins isb, allison 3060
Then your setup is easy.

From memory:

you need an on/off toggle switch, and two momentary-on switches (or a double-rocker momentary on switch). I bet your wiring harness on the motor side is universal, and is already set up for cruise. The switches connect directly to the ECM. You just need to add a few wires to the bus side of the harness.

You can find the wiring harness diagram through the Cummins Quickserve portal (have your engine serial number - not your VIN - ready - it is on the dataplate near the front-driver's side of the engine cover, I believe):

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

You might also ask the dealer to sell you the "factory" switches, and they would likely just pop-into place on your dash.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Then your setup is easy.

From memory:

you need an on/off toggle switch, and two momentary-on switches (or a double-rocker momentary on switch). I bet your wiring harness on the motor side is universal, and is already set up for cruise. The switches connect directly to the ECM. You just need to add a few wires to the bus side of the harness.

You can find the wiring harness diagram through the Cummins Quickserve portal (have your engine serial number - not your VIN - ready - it is on the dataplate near the front-driver's side of the engine cover, I believe):

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

You might also ask the dealer to sell you the "factory" switches, and they would likely just pop-into place on your dash.
Thanks! after some digging last night I found the cruise wires that go to the ecm last night. red, yellow, green. I just dont know weather they get 12v battery when switched on or ground when switched on. I was not aware of the cummins site, that's great!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridgedell View Post
Thanks! after some digging last night I found the cruise wires that go to the ecm last night. red, yellow, green. I just dont know weather they get 12v battery when switched on or ground when switched on. I was not aware of the cummins site, that's great!
The wiring diagram should explain that: 12V battery or ground. I'm lazy or I'd look myself.

I hate that the Cummins website won't let you download the wiring diagram as a PDF or something. Gotta log in every time.....

I think maybe the BlueBird site will give you the PDF, but you have a Thomas.....
Old 04-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #10
Almost There

So it looks like they need to be switched to ground. I have the switches on order with a local thomas dealer. Once I get it finished up I'll post how it turned out.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #11
Almost There

Well I just saw a reply email from someone at Thomas from an inquiry I made early in the week. I didnt think I would hear back from any one but they provided some great info. Hopefully this will help someone else one day.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...f6phXxfua_XZaU
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210430-205915_Drive.jpg   Screenshot_20210430-205842_Drive.jpg   Screenshot_20210430-210005_Drive.jpg  
Old 05-01-2021, 03:47 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
You're on your way!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
I have a 2001 thomas HDX. The throttle is smooth and easy. Mine also has a dash button to move the pedals back and forth.

We may have different busses, and I would like cruise control also, but a stiff throttle seems odd. Something’s way wrong.

Who knows if the pedal in your bus is the correct one? I have tracked parts down and found out that they were not original to my bus. I have found the wrong size fuses used etc.

I’m in New Orleans. You?

Peace y’all
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
This is mine.

Maybe your spring is fu-messed up!
Attached Thumbnails