Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Tire tread and noise

Hey I'm looking to replace all 6 of my tires hopefully tomorrow since I had a blowout on one of my rears and the steers are starting to show some age. I'm wondering how aggressive of a tread people are running on the rear and if they are hearing any tire/road noise. The meatier the tread the louder it will be but I wonder how loud it will be being 30 or so feet back, and with walls in-between. So if you can post a pic or tell me how yours compare to these pictures it'll be very helpful. And if you can hear them.

Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

This is a aggressive tread and noisier.
Attached Thumbnails
D72C8C44-1795-45EE-A1A1-E6ADE1555C0E.jpeg  
Old 08-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

This is quieter and less aggressive.
Attached Thumbnails
F62D5599-C10A-4A32-B56D-CEFC5DC38C08.png  
Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

This is in between the two. Notice the shoulder on the first one is open and the other two are closed, making them to be quieter.
Attached Thumbnails
EDA462A4-3D6C-46D6-BA3B-4BE228B3A0F0.png  
Old 08-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We went from the first to the second and noticed a significant drop in overall noise. Full of household furniture & boxes or not, the second tire tread was much quieter. The third one looks like a nice compromise, especially if you plan on much mud or snow driving (as compared to the second or road tire).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have the first on my DEV bus and it sounds like a bad ass Seni truck. My red bus has the second and it sounds like a car..
My dev bus has next been stuck in the mud or snow, my red bus I think would be stuck if I poured my pop on the ground and ran over the ice cubes..

My superior has the first style but it’s a 35 footer I don’t hear the tires much. I just thought they look Gnarly and big rig like
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
Hey I'm looking to replace all 6 of my tires hopefully tomorrow since I had a blowout on one of my rears and the steers are starting to show some age. I'm wondering how aggressive of a tread people are running on the rear and if they are hearing any tire/road noise. The meatier the tread the louder it will be but I wonder how loud it will be being 30 or so feet back, and with walls in-between. So if you can post a pic or tell me how yours compare to these pictures it'll be very helpful. And if you can hear them.

I'm running those in the rear and they're very loud. goodyear. Great tires, though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Picture #2 looks like an all position tire that would be used on a steer axle or as a trailer tire on a semi and pic's #1 and #3 look like drive position only tires. Keep that in mind if you're replacing all six tires or packing a spare.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
A closed shoulder drive tire will perform well in the dirt and on pavement. It's what I would want on my bus. It's what we run on all our farm trucks. They are, however, pretty useless in mud or snow. You have to have open and pretty aggressive to do mud....but these aren't mud vehicles.

If you are going to be spending all of your time on pavement a mileage drive tire can get you 3 percent on a big rig but they don't pull well out of fields on loose dirt or gravel. They are super quiet.

All around is usually the best choice imo. Lugs get annoying and don't wear well on pavement.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
tires, noise, mud and then ice/snow

noise,

ribs that go around the tire unbroken are the quietest, They may also not work so well in a well worn condition in the wet.... no way for the water to get out from under the tire.... hydroplaning or aquaplaning as it may be called. I would also bet that "highway rib" tires use less fuel and wear longer. They absolutely will suck in anything but dry weather. I have seen medium duty trucks stuck on damp grass, no holes for tires to set into, no inclines to drive up, just damp grass........ This is why I have a 9,000lb winch on my 12,000 lb bus.

blocks with 1/8" -3mm or bigger gaps between them... think of each block like a boot. Each boot stomps on the ground every time it hits the road surface. That is what makes the noise. I think, that blocks with like 1/2" -13mm gaps help grip in the mud, if you spin a tire tire just the right speed, mud flings off the tire and allows those blocks to kinda act like shovels and dig a way through the muck. It also helps you dig down into holes.....spin the tires for long without moving and you dig your self down into deeper holes.

A tire can mitigate the noise by making the blocks different sizes... some tires- if you look, have blocks start one size and get bigger as you go around the tire. I think this is changing the frequency of the noise generated. You dont hear the "sing" of the tire because it is singing more than one note.

big tall blocks, with big open spaces between them squirm around a lot and it is highly likely you will not have even wear.

big blocks with small space between them, can lean on each other and they kind of "close" the small space when under load.

big blocks with big spaces run hotter than smooth tire with no spaces, ribs or blocks,,, called "slicks" in the world of racing.

In terms of water.... the only reason to have grooves or spaces in a tire is to get water out of the way. If we only drove in dry pavement all the time, all our tires would be smooth. but we dont and they are not.

sipes..... pronounced like sigh, like let out your breath,,, well you get it SIPES. Tire term... these are the small cuts or gaps in tires... look at pictures of bridgestone blizzaks.. they are a snow/ice tire. see all those little grooves? those are sipes. Tire builders intend those grooves to pack with snow and ice, the snow and ice crammed into those grooves are what give the traction on the snow and ice. I would thing that really cold, sub zero snow that is powdery would be a lot like driving in sand, but I dont have any experience those conditions.

I have all highway ribbed on my bus right now, I also have a winch with me because I have seen how easy it is to get stuck with ribbed tires on the drive axle. For the winter, I will be changing to a tire more suited to ice. I might put chains on, but I dont know if I will drive if I need to be chaining up.

New tire vs 1/2 worn tire same exact tire -- I always see better fuel mileage with the worn tires. I think it is because the tread/tire is like a giant fan. The big new tread moves "pumps" more air as it rotates, along with tread squirm and uses more power to rotate at a constant speed.

Tires with blocks and slits or sipes between them should be nearly as quiet at ribbed tires, but should offer some additional grip in snow/ice conditions. I dont think they are going add anything in an off road occurance.

Caddilac Kid, I like the way you do things. I hope to sit and have a coffee with you. I think that would be a good time.

I hope this helps some you make tire decisions.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:55 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Thanks for all your info. If it wasn’t evident, I want the high traction tires but not the noise.... I found a used set of loud high traction Firestone’s FD711 so I might give it a try and if I hate them I’ll trade in for something else, being already used it won’t be so expensive. Depends if the guy takes my offer for them along with some BFGoodrich steers. if not... we’ll see... I might throw my steers on the rear along with a couple similar used tires till the spring and buy new rears then.

I like the visual of the bus spinning out on the pop and ice cubes. Thanks for that
Old 08-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
be careful mixing tires on the same axle.. if they are different brands or worn differently you may either heat the tires up a bit more, cause minor driveability issues liek the rear end wanting to hunt, and / or wear tires faster. if you have tires of different diameter on the same axle. . esp on the same dual..

and I definitely wouldnt mix tread types..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm running those in the rear and they're very loud. goodyear. Great tires, though.
How loud? We've got some really stubby tires in the back and at the very least I don't notice noise from them.

Maybe I'm just used to them and have no point of reference.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
How loud? We've got some really stubby tires in the back and at the very least I don't notice noise from them.

Maybe I'm just used to them and have no point of reference.
Went from smooth highway treads to these... They're LOUD. Many times louder than the all positions that were on there.
Sounds like a 4x4 humming down the road. They ride really well, though.
I don't notice them anymore but when I left the tire shop I was aghast at how much louder these suckers are.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:20 AM   #15
Bus Nut

I got 6 used tires put on yesterday which I’m pretty happy with. I’m normally not a fan of Goodyear (mainly because my dad doesn’t like them) but the price was too good to pass on. They’re Goodyear G182 RSD on the rear, they’re pretty aggressive tread and they’re a little louder than the closed shoulder recaps (similar to the 3rd picture above) I had on but I’m very pleased they aren’t too loud. They’re marketed for school buses so I suppose they don’t want the kids going deaf.

On the front I got Goodyear Marathon LHS. They track better than the old steers and the bumps aren’t as jarring. Though I’m running lower pressure than before so that will help cushion a little. 90 psi in front and 80 in the rear. The school district had 100 psi all around and I never bothered to change it.

$1200 Canadian installed so about $800 or $850 USD for all of them. Like I said it was too good a deal to pass on. Tread ranges from 18-20 32nds on most rears and 13-15 32nds on the front. Rears are 4 years old and front are 1 year old.
Attached Thumbnails
2EB99499-4DF3-47AC-AC12-264768333FD5.jpg   C56A012D-EA09-4112-855A-22DF94E5EC48.jpg   EFB3D83A-1017-4F05-9841-CF27D4B6218D.jpg  
Old 08-31-2020, 02:51 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Seems like a pretty good deal.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Yep, I'd call that a good find! I looked around for reasonable, used brand-named tires, but couldn't find any that were well priced compared to new third-tier brand offerings.

I went with Sailun 11r22.5s all around.
S605 in the front:

S753 in the rear:

Can't say I really noticed a change in tire noise vs the nearly bald old tires. I do notice a slight drop in fuel economy. Also, I do notice myself not getting stuck
Old 08-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Yep, I'd call that a good find! I looked around for reasonable, used brand-named tires, but couldn't find any that were well priced compared to new third-tier brand offerings.

I went with Sailun 11r22.5s all around.
S605 in the front:

S753 in the rear:

Can't say I really noticed a change in tire noise vs the nearly bald old tires. I do notice a slight drop in fuel economy. Also, I do notice myself not getting stuck
I've driven on a brand new set of those Sailun's. They're MEATY!
Old 12-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #19

[Hey! We're in Calgary too. Where did you buy your tires from. We're hoping to replace ours as we're heading out for a big trip soon. Thanks in advance for your response!
Alanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanda View Post
[Hey! We're in Calgary too. Where did you buy your tires from. We're hoping to replace ours as we're heading out for a big trip soon. Thanks in advance for your response!
Unfortunately, his post is over 2 years old and Jazty hasn't posted here in over a year...so don't be surprised if he doesn't see your question. Good luck with your search, though!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote