Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: 6 cylinder Cummins
Transmission cooling

The area I live in has a lot of hills and that doesn't seem to be sitting too well with my bus.

The fluid starts to go up to 350 pretty quick, even on pretty shallow hills.

Someone told me this particular Allison transmission isn't very good with hills so I thought maybe that's just how its gonna be, but one time I was driving along and it sounded like a second fan turned on, and the fluid went down to around 150. Then it turned off again forever.

Would it have a second fan for the transmission and where might it be?

And should I look for a way to fix the switch for this fan or just put in a manual one?

Fluid level looks OK to me.

ClintThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
350 oil temperature

That is too hot.... might also indicate transmission slipping. change the transmission fluid. add an air to oil transmission oil cooler, or if you bus has this already make it bigger. get under the bus... read the tag on the transmission.... betting you have 545 or one of the 540 series transmissions.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Allison as a brand isn't flawed but as William mentioned you want to confirm what model you have and the AT545 will be about the worst possible model for towing or hilly terrain because it lacks a lock-up torque converter so it generates excessive heat and reduces fuel economy - but it was cheap and many schools in the flatlands bought them long after better models were readily available.

It does sound like there's a transmission cooler and perhaps even a forced fan cooling solution but it doesn't sound like it's sufficient because of the temps you're seeing. More cooling would be better and promote longevity of the transmission
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the "2nd fan" may have been your engine fan coming on Full speed which would help cool the transmission.. an external cooler with a fan should be easy to spot if you have one..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote