Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #1

Transmission or Eng problem?466E/2000

Hello group and I wish I didn't need to post in here so soon after getting my bus. Let me start off with my nightmare of a ride home. Posting the whole trip in the event it gives a clue to my problems.

I bought a 2002 Bluebird with the DT466E and Alison 2000 transmission on Friday. Did a visual and test drive and everything seemed ok. The guy even replaced the fuel filters. Drove it 2 hours that day and everything worked great. Left for my ride home the next day and about 3 hours into the drive I noticed a sudden slip in the Transmission. Knowing how damaging that can be I stopped after about 3 miles and found a line leaking. It did not lose all the fluid and after repairing the line added about 2 qts of fluid to bring it back correctly following the proper cold/hot checks. I made sure to buy the correct ATF per the service manual TES 668 which is hard to find. Prior to adding new fluid I did a sniff and visual on the old stuff and it was clean and free of burnt smell. Test drove and everything was back to normal.

Set off on my trip back home and about 5 hours into the drive I exited for gas and when I tried to return back onto the highway the bus would not go over 45 mph when 60 was my previous highway speed at 2200 rpm. It would kind of move between 2200-2300 rpms and that's it with it floored. Almost like it needed to shift gears yet was not redlining to get there. I stopped rechecked fluid it was good. Drove to next exit 2 miles at 45 mph. Shut everything down. Decided that a large city was only a about 20 miles away so wanted to limp it there in the event I was stuck stuck. Got on the highway and everything worked fine again.

After another 2 hours of driving I noticed I could not get over 55 after losing some speed on a hill. So I stopped again shut her down for about 10 minutes and everything worked fine yet again. Shifted right up to highway speed. After about another 2 hours I took a wrong exit and was afraid it would do it again but everything worked perfect until about 30 min down the road the problem returned and I had to let it sit for 5-10 min then I returned home.

Any ideas? It's almost like it had lock of a gear yet would not go over 2300 rpm and the speed would not increase. If it was stuck in a lower gear I think the rpms would increase to 2500 or increase if slipping.

Thanks for any help. This has been so disappointing.

midnight302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight302 View Post
Hello group and I wish I didn't need to post in here so soon after getting my bus. Let me start off with my nightmare of a ride home. Posting the whole trip in the event it gives a clue to my problems.

I bought a 2002 Bluebird with the DT466E and Alison 2000 transmission on Friday. Did a visual and test drive and everything seemed ok. The guy even replaced the fuel filters. Drove it 2 hours that day and everything worked great. Left for my ride home the next day and about 3 hours into the drive I noticed a sudden slip in the Transmission. Knowing how damaging that can be I stopped after about 3 miles and found a line leaking. It did not lose all the fluid and after repairing the line added about 2 qts of fluid to bring it back correctly following the proper cold/hot checks. I made sure to buy the correct ATF per the service manual TES 668 which is hard to find. Prior to adding new fluid I did a sniff and visual on the old stuff and it was clean and free of burnt smell. Test drove and everything was back to normal.

Set off on my trip back home and about 5 hours into the drive I exited for gas and when I tried to return back onto the highway the bus would not go over 45 mph when 60 was my previous highway speed at 2200 rpm. It would kind of move between 2200-2300 rpms and that's it with it floored. Almost like it needed to shift gears yet was not redlining to get there. I stopped rechecked fluid it was good. Drove to next exit 2 miles at 45 mph. Shut everything down. Decided that a large city was only a about 20 miles away so wanted to limp it there in the event I was stuck stuck. Got on the highway and everything worked fine again.

After another 2 hours of driving I noticed I could not get over 55 after losing some speed on a hill. So I stopped again shut her down for about 10 minutes and everything worked fine yet again. Shifted right up to highway speed. After about another 2 hours I took a wrong exit and was afraid it would do it again but everything worked perfect until about 30 min down the road the problem returned and I had to let it sit for 5-10 min then I returned home.

Any ideas? It's almost like it had lock of a gear yet would not go over 2300 rpm and the speed would not increase. If it was stuck in a lower gear I think the rpms would increase to 2500 or increase if slipping.

Could be a variety of things from transmission to fuel injectors to HPOP.

I'd recommend you get your hands on a NexIQ adapter and download ServiceMaxx to check for engine codes (tons of forum articles about how to do that on this site).

You'll probably also want to run Allison DOC to check for transmission codes (there's a manual procedure to do this as well) but DOC is easier if you can get it or have a shop run the codes).
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight302 View Post

I would check to see if the Ecm is governed at a low speed.
If it set low, say 60mph, it could give you unexpected results if your churning at high rpm’s

Not saying this is your problem but surely a point of consideration when trying to troubleshoot.

My bus was set to 65 mph and it was churning at about 2300 rpm’s.
I changed the governor to 75 mph, but it still spins high rpm’s.

At 65 (governor setting) I would lose speed on the smallest hills.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Well its good that you are home and not stuck out on the road. Did you get any warning lights on the dash and do you know how to manually check for any stored codes?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
first off, the fact you can stop and it recovers may be telling.. these engines will de-rate if they believe the OIL TEMP or coolant temp is too high.. coolant temp you can see on the dash, oil temp you cannot.. if a speed governer is set then it should go to 2500 RPM or so (unless your tach is wrong) and max out.. have you ever seen 2500 RPM when floored in lower gears as you are accelerating?

if the trans is inhibited from a gear it would likely turn on the check trans light or the shift inhibited light..

if the HPOP cant m,ake the requested pressure the WARN light will come on..

its a good idea to make sure these ligths work for a couple seconds when you first turn on the key so you have an idea of the bulbs are working..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote