Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: ford 391
Rated Cap: 72
vacuum booster questions

hey everyone,
been having major issues with my 1967 bluebirds braking system, the old midland tandem vacuum booster is completely toast and as the local brake shop said i cant get parts or have it rebuilt which means i've had to start looking for alternative booster options. the guy at the brake shop said a bendix tandem booster would be my best bet for adaptation but at $800 ive again started looking at options. i have though found a bendix vacuum booster from a ford f600 or f700 3 ton dump truck. the only problem is it's a single booster vrs a tandem. anyone have any idea on what this will translate in real world language. will it just be a matter of extra attention and slowing down sooner or will it just simply not work. i fitted it up today but haven't had a chance to relay try it out as the rear brakes are all messed up and need some attention first. i'm hoping that the rear brake cyl are still working as the last thing i need right now is to try and find some that is if i can and hey still make them. the bus is mainly ford parts.

jolly_rogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: vacuum booster questions

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but this place has a crap load of boosters they could more than likely give you the help you are looking for.http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com...-SERIES/Detail
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I have a 1967 F600 Superior Coach and have changed the booster a couple times. Both times I bought a rebuilt one from Inland Truck Parts, last time it was about $300.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: ford 391
Rated Cap: 72

thanks everyone ive already installed the single looks like the one above but only one pot ( pic above )from a 3 ton dump truck. now ive found that my rear wheel brake cyl are faulty and not retracting so now ive got to figure out away to remove those damn lug nuts and cap nuts .....should be fun as i cant even break them off with my impact. anyone know what the part number is on those brake cyl ? thanks
jolly_rogger is offline   Reply With Quote