Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Wasnt leaking brake fluid

On another post I had reported that I had a brake fluid leak. Had a good friend who is mechanic come buy and know fairly sure leak is power steering fluid coming from electric boost pump. signs very low power steering fluid in reservoir and color of fluid matches.

After studying the hydro-max manual I am going to disconnect power to the electric boost pump and see if it still leaks. If it doesn't the leak should be isolated to the pump.

http://www.centralstatesbus.com/2006...c%20Brakes.pdf

Does this seem correct?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

If your bus has an electric override hydraboost brake system the whole system has to be working properly to legally drive the bus on the road.

I am not sure exactly what you are going to try and discover by disconnecting the electric motor. If it is leaking boost juice it won't matter where it is leaking since it is all interconnected. The electric override pump moves the same juice that the power steering pump moves.

You may find that a replacement booster comes as a kit that has everything already hooked up and all that you need to do is hook it up and bleed the air out and you will be back in business.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Almost There

Not planning on driving without the electric boost pump. Trying to determine if leak is coming from pump or somewhere else in the boost assembly. If no leak with pump unplugged then probably just pump needed I think.

You seem to know system am I thinking correctly?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that electric pump runs when the engine isnt, so you have power brakes.. without that pump if ytou happen to stall out you'll have a tough tiome stopping..

hydraulic pressure will be made by tje Power steering pump when the engine is running, that electric pump is off when the bus is running..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Almost There

I understand the how and why it is there.

I am trying to differentiae the source of the leak. Which seems to be the electric pump according to my mechanic friend. I don't want to spend $500 when a pump will do the job for $200
Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

If you are losing boost juice I would want to make sure all of the hoses are good and tight in the fittings. The source of a leak is much more likely to be coming from a hose than the booster itself.

If the leak is coming from the booster I would change out the whole unit rather than do it piece meal.

Brake Systems, Inc. in Portland, OR are a good source for booster parts. They are also a good source for asking questions about any problems you might be having.

Brake Systems Inc. - Remanufacturing
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote