Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #1

Weird Rubbing(?) Sound, 2010 Bluebird Vision

Ok so this isn't my skoolie, it's actually my bus I drive on a route, however I think it's worth tapping into the hivemind here. I'll be doing an actual skoolie "soon", there's even an older bus on our lot I've been eying up.
There's this quite annoying squeaking/rubbing sound coming from the front of the bus. It's managed to stump both me and the mechanics.

It's a 2010 Bluebird Vision, 07 emissions Cummins ISB 6.7l, Allison auto.

- If I had to describe where, it's either from the engine doghouse or somewhere on the hood, definitely to the right of the driver's seat.
- The noise is RPM dependent, and is more noticeable in drive. Gentle revs in neutral do not seem to produce the sound (or at least loud enough to notice).
- I've linked a video, and you can see that bumps influence the volume of the noise, ruling out (with a decent level of certainty) anything internal to the motor or trans.
- The bus has a new hood, which seems to chafe on the body in several locations, however adding some sort of material in the (most obvious) spots has not fixed the sound.

Here's the video. I said I wasn't sure how well it would come through on the video, but turns out it picked it up extremely well.
https://youtu.be/T8X6pYdfB-c

I appreciate any assistance, the noise is so annoying, and it's playing on loop in my head all day long!

tnast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Ok so I've figured out what's making the noise (or at least something related to it). If I reach under the dash and tweak the shifter cable, the sound will subside until I've gone over enough bumps for it to go back to its original location.

I've got a feeling it's probably a missing grommet or something, will keep posted.
tnast_ is offline   Reply With Quote