Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
What are these white "Donaldson" filters?

I have 3 of these filters underneath my bus, and I'm not yet sure what they do or if I need to do anything with them. They're all "Donaldson" branded, with different part numbers and slightly different sizes (one picture below shows the larger filter with a skinny one behind it). I assume I'll want to service them but I haven't yet been able to trace them out to determine what system(s) they're attached to, and was hoping I could get a little direction from the gurus.
Attached Thumbnails
21-06-12 20-34-10 3481.jpg   21-06-12 20-34-05 3480.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I only see 2 filters in your pictures. The first and second picture show the same filter, which is the one with the black handled thing on the bottom, and is your fuel filter/water separator. And judging by the rust on it, it should be replaced.

The second filter behind it, would be nothing more then a guess as to what it is without a part number. It could be fuel filter as well, or a transmission filter, or something else entirely. Where the lines from it run to will determine the fluid it is filtering.

Do you have a picture of the 3rd filter?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I only see 2 filters in your pictures. The first and second picture show the same filter, which is the one with the black handled thing on the bottom, and is your fuel filter/water separator. And judging by the rust on it, it should be replaced.

The second filter behind it, would be nothing more then a guess as to what it is without a part number. It could be fuel filter as well, or a transmission filter, or something else entirely. Where the lines from it run to will determine the fluid it is filtering.

Do you have a picture of the 3rd filter?

OK, that gets me going down the right track at least. I had a feeling they were filters for discrete parts, but a cabover bus definitely has these things in kind of diverse locations, so I wasn't sure why they were so far back from the engine compartment.

I'll get better pics of all three later today. The third one is further back from the battery box, these two are to the front of the battery box.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
It sure looks like they should be replaced. If you pull the part numbers to get new ones the description for the new ones will tell you what they are for. The liquid that runs out when you remove them should confirm their purpose.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
follow the lines to see where they go and take the guesswork out. if it has a drain its probably fuel and another filter by it is probably fuel also
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
First thing I do when i have a part number and brand is google it. this will tell you what it is.

Next thing I do is document it for future reference.

then i research about that part (in general) to discover its use and what determines a good product from a bad one.

In the OPs, case, not all filters are created equal.