Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

what bus to buy

Hello,

I am very excited to join this forum. I am looking for a mid 2000s bus for conversion. Close to 40 ft long. We currently tow a 26' camp trailer with a 2019 F150. The trailer is getting small for us family of 4.

I have read and watched as much info as I can. Here are some questions. I want to be able to flat tow my F150 with the converted skoolie. I had shopped around several newer super C RV (S2RV chassis, ISB cummins with 2000 series allison). The $200K plus price turned away. My goal is to do a conversion that comparable to a super C RV with less cost.

We are most weekend campers so the driving experience is something I cannot over look. It looks like most mid 2000s type C school bus are a little under powered compared to a modern super C RV. School buses have 5 gears vs the RV has 6. I feel that the the older ones with 5.9 cummins flat towing the F150 will make me a road hazard climibing a small hill.

Should I look at a rear engine pusher instead? Though I feel a lot more confident driving the type c bus than driving the pusher bus. I need some help from the group to point me to the right direction. what bus I should focus on if I want pre emission 6.7 cummins or bigger engine and allison with 6 gears. Do such a type c bus exist?

Or instead of looking for a unicorn, if I go with rear engine pusher, what would you recommend?

Thank you

mikeyanxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyanxu View Post
Hello,

I am very excited to join this forum. I am looking for a mid 2000s bus for conversion. Close to 40 ft long. We currently tow a 26' camp trailer with a 2019 F150. The trailer is getting small for us family of 4.

I have read and watched as much info as I can. Here are some questions. I want to be able to flat tow my F150 with the converted skoolie. I had shopped around several newer super C RV (S2RV chassis, ISB cummins with 2000 series allison). The $200K plus price turned away. My goal is to do a conversion that comparable to a super C RV with less cost.

We are most weekend campers so the driving experience is something I cannot over look. It looks like most mid 2000s type C school bus are a little under powered compared to a modern super C RV. School buses have 5 gears vs the RV has 6. I feel that the the older ones with 5.9 cummins flat towing the F150 will make me a road hazard climibing a small hill.

Should I look at a rear engine pusher instead? Though I feel a lot more confident driving the type c bus than driving the pusher bus. I need some help from the group to point me to the right direction. what bus I should focus on if I want pre emission 6.7 cummins or bigger engine and allison with 6 gears. Do such a type c bus exist?

Or instead of looking for a unicorn, if I go with rear engine pusher, what would you recommend?

Thank you
For mid-2000s, you'll want to look for buses with the Cummins 8.3 ISC engine, International DT466E, or the Caterpillar 3126 or C7. (Note: DO NOT buy a bus with a "C7S", the valve cover very clearly shows the lettering. Mine says C7 ACERT, that's just fine.) Rear engine, conventional/dognose, transit front engine, really doesn't matter. Most of these buses will have an Allison 2000 or 3000 transmission, that should be fine. Don't expect to be screaming up the hills but you should be able to keep up.

FWIW, I have a 35 foot front engine transit style bus, Caterpillar C7 with Allison 3000 transmission set up for 5 speeds. Going up a long 5% grade from NC into VA I was doing about 50-55 MPH steadily with a mostly empty bus (early in the conversion process, nothing being towed). You'll likely find yourself in the right lane with all the semis if you're towing, but that's OK; every uphill goes downhill eventually!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #3

Thank you.

In my area (FL) seems only buses fit the requirement are the 40 ft rear engine pushers. The type c buses are come with slightly smaller engine.
mikeyanxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyanxu View Post
Thank you.

In my area (FL) seems only buses fit the requirement are the 40 ft rear engine pushers. The type c buses are come with slightly smaller engine.
Lots of folks out there that seem happy with 40 foot buses so I think you'll do fine. My 35 is nice because it's a bit more nimble but it's also front engine which is definitely a tradeoff!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Hi I'm also located in Florida and have been having trouble finding the same bus as you are looking for locally. Most seem to be outta state. Would you mind sharing a few links or sites I can check out??
Austin S is offline   Reply With Quote