Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: DMV Area
Posts: 119
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
What kind of mechanic do I go to for my gas short bus?

For those of you with gas shorties what type of mechanic or where do you take your bus to be fixed? We have a gas engine and our mechanic is saying he doesn’t have heavy duty tools (sounds like an excuse to me). We just want a tune up and overall report of what we need to repair on it. I’d like to learn to do my own mechanical work.

buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,184
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Should be able to go to about any mechanic that works on cars and light trucks.
Maybe a clearance thing with his shop door?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: DMV Area
Posts: 119
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Hmmm. Idek. I guess I will just look up a mechanic locally then via google. I hate google for mechanics because they’re not all created equally.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,328
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If your bus is bare bones it probably weighs around 4 1/2 tons. This could limit what shops can work on it if it has to be put in the air
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,336
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
For those of you with gas shorties what type of mechanic or where do you take your bus to be fixed? We have a gas engine and our mechanic is saying he doesn’t have heavy duty tools (sounds like an excuse to me). We just want a tune up and overall report of what we need to repair on it. I’d like to learn to do my own mechanical work.
Anywhere that would service a Chevy truck or van should be able to handle that. I've done a water pump and a few other bits of maintenance on Gm 6.0's. They're nothing exotic or heavy duty... just a good truck/van motor.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: DMV Area
Posts: 119
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Anywhere that would service a Chevy truck or van should be able to handle that. I've done a water pump and a few other bits of maintenance on Gm 6.0's. They're nothing exotic or heavy duty... just a good truck/van motor.

Thank you. I will look around.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,328
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I took mine to Firestone to have the AC evacuated. At first they said no, but then they said OK. I think height and weight play into what can be done at a regular shop, but beyond that, any shop that can work on a van can work on a cutaway bus
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: DMV Area
Posts: 119
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I took mine to Firestone to have the AC evacuated. At first they said no, but then they said OK. I think height and weight play into what can be done at a regular shop, but beyond that, any shop that can work on a van can work on a cutaway bus

Thanks! I will consider them in the future as well for my a/c.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.