Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2024, 08:12 PM   #1

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International CE300
Engine: DT466
Wheel wells on bagged bus

Our first bus!
We have a '06 CE300, 9 window. Kentucky bus. Got the usual, I suppose, rust holes in front of the rear wheel wells.

I see mention of some with "bagged" buses and flat floors. Ours is bagged. When the air pressure is zero, the bags are fully compressed. From the outside, it looks there is maybe 1/2 inch interference if the floor was flat. So, of course my question is, instead of fixing the holes and dealing with the wheel well arches for our conversion, could I just replace the arch with 1/8 flat plate? It can't roll until the air is high enough to release the brakes and that would raise the air bags.

Has anyone tried this? Did you put an "up stop" so the drop is limited to prevent the tire from touching? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Photo attached of bag fully deflated

Thanks in advance, I find a wealth of info here while I creep about!
Attached Thumbnails
20240525_205107.jpg  

hcarter951@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dangerous thing to do... if for some reason your air suspension went flat on the road you are in a world of hurt.. and yes it happens.. I blew a bag on mine and it went down pretty quick.. the protection valve on my accessory tank kept my air from completely depleting..

if you had interference you could be skidding all over the road

it may be possible to replace the bump stop on the low end of the suspension with one that gives you the needed clearance at minimum height
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:04 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it may be possible to replace the bump stop on the low end of the suspension with one that gives you the needed clearance at minimum height
Love this!
Miloshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:29 PM   #4

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International CE300
Engine: DT466
That's the voice of experience there! I believe we'll just leave it alone and figure International had some idea of what they were doing when the built the bus! Thaks for the words of wisdom!
hcarter951@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:58 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarter951@gmail.com View Post
That's the voice of experience there! I believe we'll just leave it alone and figure International had some idea of what they were doing when the built the bus! Thaks for the words of wisdom!

the flat floor busses from the factory are running low profile tires typically. you'll see them, the wheel well opening are smaller and the tires are smaller to account for the low well height
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the flat floor busses from the factory are running low profile tires typically. you'll see them, the wheel well opening are smaller and the tires are smaller to account for the low well height
That is correct. I've got a handy bus with flat floors and little tires. Honestly, I think I'd rather have 10 or 11R tires so I may be taking wheel wells out of another bus and putting in this bus. Rear wheel wells aren't that big of a deal in most cases. Build you closets, electrical storage cabinet or whatever over the wheel wells.

It doesn't appear to me that smaller tires are much cheaper, will wear out faster and I think I'd prefer the bit more top mph for freeway driving. IMO, more advantages to the bigger tires than no rear wheel wells.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
That is correct. I've got a handy bus with flat floors and little tires. Honestly, I think I'd rather have 10 or 11R tires so I may be taking wheel wells out of another bus and putting in this bus. Rear wheel wells aren't that big of a deal in most cases. Build you closets, electrical storage cabinet or whatever over the wheel wells.

It doesn't appear to me that smaller tires are much cheaper, will wear out faster and I think I'd prefer the bit more top mph for freeway driving. IMO, more advantages to the bigger tires than no rear wheel wells.
There is different structure between the wheel wells. The reinforcements run length wise between the wheel wells. As well the front and rear structure in front and rear of the wheel wells are doubled up.

You can add wheel wells but don't forget the supporting floor structure is different.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:27 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
There is different structure between the wheel wells. The reinforcements run length wise between the wheel wells. As well the front and rear structure in front and rear of the wheel wells are doubled up.

You can add wheel wells but don't forget the supporting floor structure is different.
Yes, I realize this. There'll have to be some reinforcment work done, but it won't be to bad. I will be using a set of OE Blue Bird wheel wells out of another bus also. It's an extra bus cabin that's being taken off the chassis and set on the ground for a different purpose. Kinda like Bus to Shed project.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote