Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Which engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseythenose

DOGMAD members were lucky to get 20,000 miles out of a set of head gaskets on the 350 olds diesel engines. They were such an abortion, they are not even worth mentioning.

I wonder if the brazilian Ford diesel had been in that list where it would have scored?
I could not find fleet data for those anywhere. none of my customers or contacts ever used
Come on...my parents had an Olds diesel when I was born and they got 51,000 miles out of it before it puked a head gasket. Be fair.

I'm not sure about fleet numbers on the Brazilian diesels. Being that I own one I've done a fair amount of research on them. The truth of the matter is they just weren't all that popular in the MDTs, but those that have them seem to only complain about the lack of power and the scarcity of parts. I can understand the lack of power concern (though that is easily remedied), but I haven't found any real problems with parts availability. Everything is available off the shelf or overnight from my local parts store which is about the same as any of the other MDT diesel options out there INCLUDING the B-series Cummins. Nope, B-series parts aren't QUITE as common as people like to make them out to be (i.e. right next to the slurpee machine at 7-Eleven).

I do know that the 6.6 and 7.8 are fairly well respected in the tractor arena since they are originally New Holland engines anyway. Of course that life is very different from what they see in a bus, save for an interstate cruiser I suppose.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseythenose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I'd rather have a 350 Olds...at least I can swap a 455 into the car & get some use out of the block when that blows up.

The 6.2 GM diesel in the early and mid 90's were FAR more problematic with the injection pumps popping on them all the time.
I think you're a bit confused. The 6.2 was originally designed by Detroit for the 82 model year. It's last year was in 93. In the early 90's, GM re-designed it as the 6.5, and released it in the 92 model year. In 94, they went from the mechanical Stanadyne DB2 pump to the electronic DS4. The electronic pumps have a little device mounted on them called a PMD that is cooled by fuel flow through the pump. Once the engine is shut off, it gets killed by heat soak without anything to cool it. 82-93 6.2/6.5's Were very reliable and lasted a long time. Electronic, 94+ 6.5's, are very reliable and last a long time after relocating the PMD away from engine heat. It is actually very rare to find a 6.2/6.5 injection pump that lasts less than 150-200K miles.
RCpullerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
An 8.2 will run a fairly reliable 200k before it becomes a problem under most conditions.
I watched a truck that never hauled anything heavier than LAUNDRY eat two 8.2's (the original and a factory rebuild) before 150K. After it ate engine #2, it was replaced (with an F-600 with the Brazilian diesel--that truck was scrapped due to severe rust with almost 350K on a never-rebuilt engine), got a take-out 8.2 (actually from a junked school bus) and was sold.

The 8.2 is a turd. Fragile and underpowered, it is best suited for sale by the pound as scrap. You're better off with a gas engine.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote