Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The question is, how much *longer* will it run? There has been more than one forum member who bought a 6.0 / VT365 equipped bus, had major engine failure on the trip home and towed to a shop (dealer, usually) only to find out the engine is a complete loss and replacement is $25,000 or so (un-rebuildable).

the 2 people from here that I know of failed their VT365 diesels severely over-heated them on theur trips home due to bad fan clutches that failed to engage on the highway but of course in town they were fine..

one guy called me directly on the phone with alarm bells beeping and screaming while "looking for an exit"...

a severe overheat on a 6.0 melts the plastic parts in the oil filter housing and instantly destroyed the whole engine, block and all.

im sorry its not the engine's fault when a dumbass runs the temperature gauge off the scale.. esp after coming here before driving home and seeing every-other post preactically about "dont overheat your diesel"...

a bad oil cooler or EGR cooler is a known issue on these engines
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I don't have nearly as many trip miles as CheeseWagon, but I'm easily over 200K in my years driving and I'd be willing to bet Ford Powerstroke account for 75% of the RV tow rig break downs I have seen sitting on the side of the road.
Not to brag, but 1995-2002 food/newspaper delivery (350k), 2002-2013 taxi / courier (500k+), 2013-2017 OTR semi (400k), 2017-2020 taxi / Uber until now (est. 85k). Doesn't take long when you average 100-600 per day... But yes, I've seen those 6.0hno PowerJoke Fords sitting on the side of the road quite frequently. And to be truthful, I've seen quite a few inoperable VT365 and MaxxFarce Internationals for sale for parts on Craigslist and such as well.

But there is truth in CK's assessment of certain problems being preventable by paying attention. And certain things should be replaced based on hours on the component, not just miles. A route bus is going to usually average about 6-12 miles for every hour on the engine, sometimes as low as 3-6, so divide mileage by numbers in the 6-12 range to get an idea of your engine hours (unless, of course, odometer can't be trusted either). There are, of course, rare exceptions to this rule (I've seen some skoolies that had averaged 18-29 per engine hour).
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its a definite fact that improper coolant maintenance, oil maintenance or stupidity ruins a heck of a lot of engines and transmissions..

in the consumer / light commercial level you also end up with the Hot-shotters runnin 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with big-ass trailers hauling cars and then cranking up the power of their engines with tuners to handle the loads.. the 6.0 and 6.4 most certainly didnt like being tuned unless you fully rebuilt them with power in mind.. which no one did.. a few bulletproofed, the majority just drove em.. same when you got into the VT365 and maxxforce.. so many never heardof checking coolant pH or even changing the coolant.. many extended their il change intervals to save $$. and ruined engines in the process.. the MaxxForce7 being one of the Big failures with bad pistons in the first couple years.. IH rectified the piston issue but ford never used Maxxforce pistons in the 6.4, they continued to use cheap-ass ford pistons that broke all the time..

the maxxforce engines were a lot more fragile than their earlier siblings that you could just run forever without much thought..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote