Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

6.0L OHV Diesel V8 DI/5 Speed Auto 5R110W - HI/Torque

Hello,

I'm looking to bid on a Ford Thomas bus. I reached out to Ford with the VIN numbers and was told the engine is 6.0L OHV Diesel V8 DI and the transmission is 5 Speed Auto 5R110W - HI/Torque. This doesn't look anything like the engines and transmissions I've seen discussed here, and I haven't been able to figure out how to correlate this to the discussions here on this forum. Any opinions on this combo?

Thank you

alh4nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
That's the 6.0 Powerstroke that was also sold in the Super Duty pickups from '03 to '07.

It's a mixed bag of a motor. I wouldn't want one in a shorty, they're a pita to work on. We had a couple mini buses with the same engine and nothing but problems with them.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The 6.0L Powerstroke has been aptly nicknamed the Power-Joke for very good reason. I would strongly advise against anything with a 6.0L Powerstroke. Google '6.0L Powerstroke issues' and you will see thousands of reasons to avoid that engine.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the replies. The price is under $1000 (it's a bankruptcy auction), and the mileage is under 150k, so I'm really tempted!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Unless the engine is freshly rebuilt and "bulletproofed", don't be tempted and keep on looking.

If you dig deep enough there are discussions on this site that will enlighten you, regarding this problematic engine...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by alh4nyc View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to bid on a Ford Thomas bus. I reached out to Ford with the VIN numbers and was told the engine is 6.0L OHV Diesel V8 DI and the transmission is 5 Speed Auto 5R110W - HI/Torque. This doesn't look anything like the engines and transmissions I've seen discussed here, and I haven't been able to figure out how to correlate this to the discussions here on this forum. Any opinions on this combo?

Thank you
Hard pass. That 6.0h-no Navistar diesel engine is a POS of the highest order. Ford has been sued for it, and they are suing Navistar (the supplier) from what I hear. It is also known as the VT365 in Navistar vehicles. Just say no.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Do you think though, that after 10 years of being in service, that any problems this engine would have would have already come up and been repaired?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Do you think though, that after 10 years of being in service, that any problems this engine would have would have already come up and been repaired?
If this tells you anything, Ford has bought back the vast majority of those they sold. They stopped using Navistar's VT365 and replaced it with a 6.4L diesel of their own design, not related to the 6.0 in any way.

There are people out there who claim to have 'bulletproofed' this engine, but I wouldn't trust it. Far better options out there.

Personally, I wouldn't touch most diesels after about 2004,and none after 2007. 2004-2007s aren't terrible, but 2007 and later I wouldn't touch with a 40-foot pole. Engine quality and reliability have become terrible as emissions controls have gotten more complex.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
That's the kicker about the 6.0L. The more time it has on it, the more problems it can and will have. My dad had a '04 F250 Harley Davidson edition. When he started having problems with it, he took it to the Ford dealer to trade in on something newer. They would NOT take one of their own 6.0L trucks in on trade. Told him they didn't want that piece of junk on their lot. They would never be able to sell it! When Ford shies away from their own, you definitely should too!
Old 09-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 09-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
If this tells you anything, Ford has bought back the vast majority of those they sold. They stopped using Navistar's VT365 and replaced it with a 6.4L diesel of their own design, not related to the 6.0 in any way.

There are people out there who claim to have 'bulletproofed' this engine, but I wouldn't trust it. Far better options out there.

Personally, I wouldn't touch most diesels after about 2004,and none after 2007. 2004-2007s aren't terrible, but 2007 and later I wouldn't touch with a 40-foot pole. Engine quality and reliability have become terrible as emissions controls have gotten more complex.

the 6.4 was also a navistar engine and was the **REAL** joke.. to be replaced by the 6.7 which is of their own design.. there were no fixes till much laster for those.. (ford guys started putting later model maxxforce 7 pistons in them to keep from breaking them).. but for the first 2 years there were no fixes.. ford only used it for 3 model years..

the 6.0 had some issues when it was souped up especially.. however the head gasket issues werent apparent in the stock motors..

Oil cooler and EGR cooler are 2 real issues these engines had.. any lack of maintenance on the oil or coolant spelled doom for one of those 2 parts..

aftermarket pieces are much better.. changing out the oil cooler involves removing the intake manifold, fuel bowl, HPOP, and some other goodies.. on a school bus its not a bad job (to me who tears crap apart alot).. in a Van Chassis its a real devil to do...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 6.4 was also a navistar engine and was the **REAL** joke.. to be replaced by the 6.7 which is of their own design.. there were no fixes till much laster for those.. (ford guys started putting later model maxxforce 7 pistons in them to keep from breaking them).. but for the first 2 years there were no fixes.. ford only used it for 3 model years..
Interesting. Thanks for the correction. I knew the 6.7 replaced the 6.4 but I thought it was an improvement on the 6.4 itself.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I'd go ahead and buy it, what a great deal because of all the frady-cats. Plenty of them out there roaming the country. Now for a long-term vehicle you will invest 20,000 into a motorhome, look elsewhere, like not a school bus at all, such as a shuttle bus with a gasoline v10. And btw, you can also swap motors too.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

It seems to me 80-90% of people say run, don't walk! The balance say it can be a great engine with proper maintenance.

It's a shame because the bus seems to be in reasonably good condition - not much rust, especially being in the northeast.

What's puzzling to me is there are at least 50 buses in the auction listing of these Ford Thomas buses from 2002 - 2010. Why would someone continue to buy buses that have problem engines? Then again, all the buses later than 2010 are Starcraft, so maybe they did have a lot of problems and switched models.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #15
Traveling

Swapping motors, you may as well buy another bus, because when you have computer-controlled engine management and emission control, you have to swap the entire engine, transmission, PCM, emission system and all.

That being said, 02-03+ Fords, you are better off with a gas engine. Ford has always been known for interchangeability problems from one year model to another, sometimes even within the same year.

Buses are typically fleet purchased a few at a time on contract, and problems usually don't show up for a few years. Hence, the available batch.

Most of the time, the only way to avoid seeing the signs of EGR cooler failure with these engines is for plug the coolant recovery overflow tube, but that just stops the recovery tank giving it away, it does not mean it's not happening. Ostrich sticking their head in the sand logic.

Seriously, if you're looking for a Ford shorty in that year range, find a gasser, and save yourself a lot of grief. You can thank me later.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
It seems to me 80-90% of people say run, don't walk! The balance say it can be a great engine with proper maintenance.
Keep checking those percentages and you will find in that of the 80-90% of the people saying run, 80-90% of those have first hand experience wishing they had RUN! The 10% saying "I'd go ahead and buy it" have never had one and experienced the multiple thousand dollar trips to the dealer trying to get it fixed. I don't have nearly as many trip miles as CheeseWagon, but I'm easily over 200K in my years driving and I'd be willing to bet Ford Powerstroke account for 75% of the RV tow rig break downs I have seen sitting on the side of the road. To include the 3 times I had to rescue my dad and his 5th wheel. After he ditched the Powerstroke for a Duramax, I didn't have to mount a single rescue.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Unless the engine is freshly rebuilt and "bulletproofed", don't be tempted and keep on looking.
Or you're a mechanic, and can do the work yourself.

There isn't much out there anymore that runs and drives for 1000 bucks.

Quote:
What's puzzling to me is there are at least 50 buses in the auction listing of these Ford Thomas buses from 2002 - 2010. Why would someone continue to buy buses that have problem engines? Then again, all the buses later than 2010 are Starcraft, so maybe they did have a lot of problems and switched models.
Commonality of parts would be the big push by the bean counters. Very few districts ask the mechanics what they thought of a new bus. It was always the superintendent, treasurer, and the driver that was going to be getting it to bring it back.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im in the camp of I wont pass up a 6.0... maybe in a van just because pulling he manifold in a van is a PITA.. but I wouldnbt hesitate to buy a VT365 school bus..

and the more i learn about the Maxxforce 7 I might buy one of the later years of it and fix it up if I could get one really cheap.. but bnot totally there yet on the MF7 (6.4)...

again alot of this depends on peop[les mechanical skill... we have all types comes to this site .. some who have never tiurned a wrench, others who are / were master engine builders and everything in between (where i am)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #19
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
I had a 6.0 in an F-250. Started having problems just after 3,000 miles. Fuel injectors, high pressure oil pump and something else. After 18,000 miles, I sued Ford and won about $6,500.
Traded it in for another 250 with a 6.4. Did not have any problems with it until just recently. At 195,000, had to replace the oil cooler, $2,400. I like the 6.4, great power. From experience, sray away from the 6.0.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Or you're a mechanic, and can do the work yourself.

There isn't much out there anymore that runs and drives for 1000 bucks.

The question is, how much *longer* will it run? There has been more than one forum member who bought a 6.0 / VT365 equipped bus, had major engine failure on the trip home and towed to a shop (dealer, usually) only to find out the engine is a complete loss and replacement is $25,000 or so (un-rebuildable).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote