Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 04:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 5 Window
'95 International 3800 w/7.3 5 speed manual

Looking at a bus but it has the 5speed spicer. Was wondering how tough these are to drive with a manual. I was also hoping to pull a small HHR as a toad in the future. Was going to try to go look at it tomorrow to see if I want to throw in a bid. Atm it is pretty cheap but has been out of service for a couple of years and has over 200k on it. Not sure if it would be worth it even if gotten at a low price.

Spaznaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you can drive a pickup with a manual a bus with a manual isn't much different. Just bigger.
A manual is preferable as the bus will run cooler than with an auto and you'll have good control of engine braking.
if it weren't a manual it would be a 545. manual much better!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I would have killed to have a manual trans.
I have a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 "Power Stroke" (basically the same as a DT444E) and the 6 speed manual. I call it my "anti millennial device" and I LOVE it.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:53 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 5 speed spicer is a synchro trans just like in a pickup truck or car.. it will be "clunkier" to drive than a car stick shift but as long as the trans is in good shape and clutch is adjusted properly you shouldnt have any trouble if you have driven stick before..

definitely preferable over an AT545 automatic!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:18 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I would have killed to have a manual trans.
I have a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 "Power Stroke" (basically the same as a DT444E) and the 6 speed manual. I call it my "anti millennial device" and I LOVE it.
Why?
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i have that on a T shirt from summit
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
Why?
Because even the military has gone to automatics and the vast majority of people have never driven a manual much less a manual in a heavy duty rig.
For instance reverse is where most would expect First.
Oppps wrong gear go down and you're in GRANNY

There are very few manual transmission vehicles sold today and that trend started before the millennials started driving so that's why I say that.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 01-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Because even the military has gone to automatics and the vast majority of people have never driven a manual much less a manual in a heavy duty rig.
For instance reverse is where most would expect First.
Oppps wrong gear go down and you're in GRANNY

There are very few manual transmission vehicles sold today and that trend started before the millennials started driving so that's why I say that.
Even OLD GM D30's all had autos. Military been doing that a while, not just for millennials.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Even OLD GM D30's all had autos. Military been doing that a while, not just for millennials.

I spent 6 1/2 years in Marine Corps Motor T. 5 ton trucks through the M813 series were manuals. As aimers (non mechs call them "drivers") became less and less mechanically capable the military began shifting towards automatic transmissions (that are significantly more vulnerable to combat failure) and when the M813 series was replaced with the 900 series they included "super single" tires making it all but impossible for an aimer to change a tire in the field.
There are also technological and political reasons behind the shift (no pun intended)
Boomers were born 1946-1964. Through 1964 automatics were a luxury option and not wide spread. The later boomers didn't begin driving until around 1979/80 which coincides with the beginning of computer controls which moved the automatic into position to compete and beat manual transmissions for fuel economy. At the same time emissions mandates and fuel prices were increasing.
Gen X, born 1965 to 1979/80 began driving around 1980/81. Assuming most were driving older cars like most younger folks do, they were likely driving a good mix of manual and automatic vehicles.
Gen Y (the infamous millennials), born 1981 to 1994/96 didn't start driving until well around the new millennium. As such, the percentage of manual transmissions to automatics was drastically skewed towards automatics, even in the older vehicles that young millennials were likely to learn in.
Hence, manual transmissions are often referred to as "millennial anti theft devics" or "anti millennial" devices.
It's a product of the disproportionate number of automatics in vehicles of all sizes today.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Autos have been around for a long time and there are most definitely situations where you want that fluid drive torque converter and not a clutch ..

My dad was one of the manual or nothing people.. and we got our ass kicked more than once in some off reading scenerios where the clutch was a definite limitation.. and guys with autos had big trans coolers and the fluid drive allowed for MORE control since you can’t slip a clutch much before you burn it out.. at some point dad finally allowed mom to start buying autos in her cars..

My trans brake autos always ran quicker lights and much more consistent runs than the manual guys.. I could dial in tight and almost never lag or break out ..

Autos scared a lot of people if they ever saw one on a bench.. “way too many parts to fail” was what was said by the old men when I was growing up.. my solution was to learn how to build autos and do it right…
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
The first bus I looked at was a 6 window Freightliner with a 3126 and a 5 speed (can't remember which manufacturer on the 5 speed). I took it for a test drive and discovered that in 5th gear, 1:1 ratio, 50mph was something like 2500 rpm. I could start out in any of the first three gears no problem.

I did my research and concluded that I could change the ratio in the diff to drop the rpm's and get more road speed so I went back to see if it was still there. It had sold the day before. I still regret that but such is life.

BTW, it was easy to drive with a stick, just like a big station wagon.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Yes autos have been around for a long time but the ratio of auto to manual vehicles sold was massively in favor of the manual until the 80's. It has now switched and it's hard to even find a new pickup, even heavy duty ones, with a manual transmission.

As for off roading where the manual is at a disadvantage, I disagree. With the proper selection of gear ratios the manual is still preferable due to its simplicity.I suspect the REAL off roading problem is wanting to use the "off roading" rig as the family daily driver as well. This precludes accepting the appropriate gear ratios for the off road jaunts.

With the proper ratios a manual transmission can slow crawl over like a champ.
Even in my F350, granny low with a fully loaded trailer is a matter of all but dropping the clutch while at idle. She takes off like a charm.... but at sub walking speed... because granny has the appropriate ratio to do the job without harming the clutch. Similar or even lower 1st gear in an off road rig would prevent clutch damage
Old 01-29-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I put a 5 speed spiced in my GMC bluebird. It is easy to drive but shifting can be irksome at times. This is because the transmission was well used when I got it

The only real complaint is that I lose a thousand rpm with every gear shift. I have wind the engine up to 3k before shifting.

The transmission itself seems to be bullet proof. Likes to be double clutched.
Johnthebusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:36 PM   #14

I drive one, its just like driving a 5 speed in a truck just bigger. 3rd is a reach..ive got short arms.lol.at speed it cruises just fine. I wanted a 5 speed for a little more braking control.
numinousbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
What are the gear ratios for the 5 speed? O/D?
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 5 Window
Not sure on exact ratios but 1st is a bulldog low that will just crawl and is useless for 99% of driving. 5th is 1:1 so no overdrive. You can get a 7 speed spicer but not all have overdrive I've read. In traffic that clutch can really work the 'ol leg muscle. Mine shifts well but needs the clutch adjusted or a new clutch. Not sure which yet.
Spaznaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:38 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Thanks! Bummer about no O/D.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote