Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

AC Compressor question for T444E

I’ve got the 7.3 T444E engine in my rig and I was wanting to take out the rear air conditioner but leave the front. I’ve traced the line to the correct compressor (see picture). My question is for anyone who might have done this.

Do I need to take out the second compressor after I remove the ac and components or can I leave it there for the belt on the front ac compressor? Will it make any issues if left in place but not connected? Is there a better way to go about removing it? I’ll obviously still need the belt on the first compressor and I’m not sure if the tensioner will still keep it on or even if it will allow the belt not to rub on itself if the second compressor is out.

Any help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
0555DFFD-1B95-4E88-92E5-6D65C5BD978C.jpg  

Aamafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Why? Does it not get hot in the rear of the bus?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

It’s not working and the front one works very well. I’d like to keep the front for when we are driving and we’ll have a roof top unit for when we are parked.. got any advice?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You'll have to keep it, or install a compressor bypass pulley in it's place, or install a new and shorter belt.

It won't hurt anything to keep it there. Disconnect the clutch coil connector and it should never spin the actual compressor. The bearing on the pulley could seize, but it could seize if you installed a bypass pulley too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
You'll have to keep it, or install a compressor bypass pulley in it's place, or install a new and shorter belt.

It won't hurt anything to keep it there. Disconnect the clutch coil connector and it should never spin the actual compressor. The bearing on the pulley could seize, but it could seize if you installed a bypass pulley too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Thank you! I didn’t think of that. Gotta love the skoolie forum!
Old 05-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

You said it is not working do you know the problem is? The reason I ask is the rear A/C takes a lot of load off the front unit.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Not really sure. I think probably needs to be charged. It blows and turns on and off ok. My bus is a shorty and to be honest I just didn’t really plan on keeping the back unit. I’ve seen threads on here that recommend keeping them. I don’t see a good way to keep it and be able to tear out the inside. It’s hoses are ran through the wall.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Mine did not come with air and I had to add it front and rear. There are evaporator units that are available that may better suit your build better than the unit there now. I can run either front or rear unit but it takes both to be comfortable. I notice after I park for the night after running both air conditioners it is very easy to keep it cool with the mini splits. Before it took 2-3 hours to cool down.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Mine did not come with air and I had to add it front and rear. There are evaporator units that are available that may better suit your build better than the unit there now. I can run either front or rear unit but it takes both to be comfortable. I notice after I park for the night after running both air conditioners it is very easy to keep it cool with the mini splits. Before it took 2-3 hours to cool down.
I’m not familiar with evaporator ac’s. Do they run off 110? How do you power them while your driving? I’m gonna do some research but I’d love to hear your take.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

The evaporator unit is the inside assembly that contains the fan and cooling coils. If you look in my album I have a picture of one of the evaporator units I used.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
The evaporator unit is the inside assembly that contains the fan and cooling coils. If you look in my album I have a picture of one of the evaporator units I used.
That’s awesome. Looks great. Does it run on 110?
Old 05-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

No. That is the evaporator unit for my engine driven A/C for the front of the bus. My bus did not come with A/C.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #13

Engine: T444e
Any chance you have a belt diagram for your engine configuration? I have the same air conditioning setup on my short bus and just blew the belt. I’m sure I can figure out how it goes back on there but can’t seem to find a diagram anywhere on the bus or the internet. Thanks!
Belugabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:54 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the air conditioner on my T444E is on a completely separate belt.. is yours on the same belt as the rest of the accessories?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugabus View Post
Any chance you have a belt diagram for your engine configuration? I have the same air conditioning setup on my short bus and just blew the belt. I’m sure I can figure out how it goes back on there but can’t seem to find a diagram anywhere on the bus or the internet. Thanks!
Yes same here. When I get back out to the bus I’ll take a picture for you.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #16

Aama and Cadillac, thanks!

Yeah, separate belt for the two AC units. Not sure if this photo will come through, but you can see the main serpentine belt in the background going around the compressor. The AC drive belt on mine seems like it's a 77" x 13/16" 6 rib serpentine belt. I haven't put the a new one in yet...

Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #17
Bus Geek

the pic doesnt show up.. i think you need 5 posts before pics will work..

the secondary belt is likely put on by the installer / manufacturer of the A/C system.. if you are lucky and its a Trans / AIR system you can contact transair with your VIN.. they keep record of every install and can tell you exactly what belt was originally on there.. going to a parts store will not work as that equipment is all aftermarket and there are about 5 different belt kits and multiple configurations of those for driving compressors... bracketry-systems out of texas makes mnost of those dual-compressor bracket kits.. you may be able to get them to send you diagrams of various kits they sell.. if one matches then they can tell you the proper belt..
Old 08-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #18
Bus Geek

AAMA - if it were mine id fix the thing and keep it.. i'll never have anbother bus without A/C throughout.. summers are hot and i like to drive without sweat..
Old 08-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the pic doesnt show up.. i think you need 5 posts before pics will work..

the secondary belt is likely put on by the installer / manufacturer of the A/C system.. if you are lucky and its a Trans / AIR system you can contact transair with your VIN.. they keep record of every install and can tell you exactly what belt was originally on there.. going to a parts store will not work as that equipment is all aftermarket and there are about 5 different belt kits and multiple configurations of those for driving compressors... bracketry-systems out of texas makes mnost of those dual-compressor bracket kits.. you may be able to get them to send you diagrams of various kits they sell.. if one matches then they can tell you the proper belt..
Cadillac, thanks a bunch, super helpful. I sent a note to Trans air.

Tags
compressor, t444e