Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Add Cruise Control '04 E350

I've seen a few threads recently about people adding cruise control to their buses. I tried Googling the procedure for an '04 E350 6.0, but I'm getting some conflicting info. Some people are saying all you have to do is swap out the steering wheel for one that had the necessary controls and other people are saying it involves a whole bunch of additional parts and servos and an ECM reprogram. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
I don’t have personal experience with that model but on most vehicles there is either an actual mechanism/motor that opens the throttle when cruise is activated or it’s done through a drive by wire setup through the existing throttle design. The ECM would also most likely require some programming to allow for it considering the vehicle was built without it.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
It seems to depend on exactly how your chassis was built. I recently saw another skoolie say their 6.0 Ford just needed the steering wheel and clock spring swapped to enable it. On the 7.3 it sometimes required a bit of wiring, but nothing too bad. If you can find a good source for it, you may find it less work to just swap the whole steering column with all the electronics at the same time. I did this in my Chevrolet chassis because it also upgraded me to a tilt column.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #4

I recently installed cruise control on my 2002 Chevrolet express cutaway short bus. All this required was replacing the factory turn signal switch with one that had the cruise controls built into it (I got it from Rock Auto.com for $60) there is no visual indications on the dash but it works perfectly. Do not assume that just because the CC controls are not physically there that the bus (ECM) is not capable. This may be different with Ford's though. I was not sure mine was going to work but I figured it was only $60 if it doesn't work I'll send it back and get a refund.
Ac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac76 View Post
I recently installed cruise control on my 2002 Chevrolet express cutaway short bus. All this required was replacing the factory turn signal switch with one that had the cruise controls built into it (I got it from Rock Auto.com for $60) there is no visual indications on the dash but it works perfectly. Do not assume that just because the CC controls are not physically there that the bus (ECM) is not capable. This may be different with Ford's though. I was not sure mine was going to work but I figured it was only $60 if it doesn't work I'll send it back and get a refund.
Thank you. This does comport with some of what I was seeing online. The difference being that I would have to replace the entire steering wheel and clock spring as opposed to just the stalk. I'm hoping that's all it takes. I may have to hit a local junk yard and see how much they'd ding me for a steering wheel and various other bits and bobs I want to replace in my dash area.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Is there a way to see if the rest of the cruise control parts are there? I have a similar setup - a 2003 Chevy cutaway - but it does not have an electric throttle, and I don't see any extra cables to pull the throttle open (which you would expect on a cruise control-equipped install). I can try the adapter, but I don't have high hopes in that case. Not sure I want to spend $60 that will likely be throw-away if the aftermarket cruise kits come with the part anyway.

Chris
Old 04-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
Is there a way to see if the rest of the cruise control parts are there? I have a similar setup - a 2003 Chevy cutaway - but it does not have an electric throttle, and I don't see any extra cables to pull the throttle open (which you would expect on a cruise control-equipped install). I can try the adapter, but I don't have high hopes in that case. Not sure I want to spend $60 that will likely be throw-away if the aftermarket cruise kits come with the part anyway.

Chris
From what I know, the lever alone will not work for you since you do not have drive by wire. When I had my 2003 I found this kit that appears to offer all the parts in one package

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...-with-v6-only/
Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
From what I know, the lever alone will not work for you since you do not have drive by wire. When I had my 2003 I found this kit that appears to offer all the parts in one package

Great info - thanks so much!! I found other kits, but they don't seem to use an OEM switch like this kit, and are comparable in price.

Chris
Old 05-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Rated Cap: 27
what's the difference between the $60 replacement turn signal lever and the $340 cruise control kit?

I've got a 2005 Chevy Express van short bus and I'd really like to add cruise before my big summer trip.
bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #10

My 2002 Chevy cutaway was basically setup for cruise control with the exception of the lever. The kit is for buses that do not have the option pre-installed (minus the lever with the controls built in). The easiest way to determine if the replacement lever alone will probably work is to trace the wiring from the existing turn signal lever. If memory serves me correct there will be two wires black and green, I think, that pigtail off of the main connector (on the turn signal lever's side) that lead to a smaller two pin connector. In my bus that second connector was located in a plastic holder, since it was unused, above the steering column in a cramped spot. While having this connector may not guarantee that changing the lever alone will work, NOT having this connector basically guarantees you will need more than the turn signal level with built in cruise control (I.E. the whole kit). I took a shot in the dark hoping it would work and luckily for me it did, and it has been worth it.

My 2007 Silverado was apparently sold without the "Driver Information Center" option. But after ordering the button panel all I had to do was plug the panel in and it worked like a charm. In my limited experience Chevy's philosophy seems to be include everything and if the vehicle is not sold with the option just don't install the button panel/switches/levers. Although that may be too much of a generalization to be fully reliable.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller181 View Post
what's the difference between the $60 replacement turn signal lever and the $340 cruise control kit?

I've got a 2005 Chevy Express van short bus and I'd really like to add cruise before my big summer trip.
The difference is what your bus has. If it's drive by wire, you can use the cheap stalk replacement (I did on mine). If it's not like my 2003, then you need that kit.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

ok, so that's an 02 and an 03 that only needed the lever. I might as well glance under the steering column and take a chance on the cheap option.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
Bus Nut

The throttle body on my 03 has a spot for the cruise cable, but it’s not there. My understanding is that this would indicate the full kit is needed? For those that just added the stem, did it look like that as well? I confirmed it’s not an electronic throttle since the body opens when the gas is pressed even with the engine off. It’s a 6.0L gasser FWIW.

Chris
Old 05-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
The throttle body on my 03 has a spot for the cruise cable, but it’s not there. My understanding is that this would indicate the full kit is needed? For those that just added the stem, did it look like that as well? I confirmed it’s not an electronic throttle since the body opens when the gas is pressed even with the engine off. It’s a 6.0L gasser FWIW.

Chris
can you take a picture of what you're looking at? Sounds like we have the same engine, so now I'm worried I need the whole kit.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

ok, so I removed the cowling around the steering column and had a look.

First picture shows an unused 4 pin connector that looks like the cruise control connector, so I'm optimistic.

Second picture is a triad of black, white, and green wires that retreat to underneath the steering column.

Third picture is the connection box for everything.

Last picture is of the replacement lever arm with cruise control (showing the 4 pin connector needed).

Looks promising for the cheap option, right?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190526_095600.jpg   IMG_20190526_095842.jpg   IMG_20190526_095919.jpg   1S3907__ra_p.jpg  
Old 05-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #16
Almost There

It does look promising. What year is your chassis, and what engine do you have?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

I would say yes, and unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to install the replacement signal lever and take it on a test drive. There are no visual indications, on the dash or elsewhere that cruise control is on/active or not. I was pessimistic it was going to work until I took it for a spin and was pleasantly surprised. I would say order it and try it out, the worst that will happen is you will need to send it back for a refund.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

it's an 05 with the 6L V8.

I ordered the lever and will cross my fingers

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac76 View Post
I would say yes, and unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to install the replacement signal lever and take it on a test drive. There are no visual indications, on the dash or elsewhere that cruise control is on/active or not. I was pessimistic it was going to work until I took it for a spin and was pleasantly surprised. I would say order it and try it out, the worst that will happen is you will need to send it back for a refund.
My 2006 has the cruise indicator in the dash. It turned on the first time I tried it.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuller181 View Post
it's an 05 with the 6L V8.

I ordered the lever and will cross my fingers

Thanks for the help!