Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I went by and crawled under the bus and took a couple transmission photos. I can confirm, the ID plate very clearly says AT545. I tried checking the rear axle but it was covered with a layer of "gunk" and though I could have tried to clean it off, the gravel was kinda hard on my knees and legs so I skipped it.

On the plus side, the underside looked very much rust-free. I even thought to check - the 8-way flashers still work! This bus, along with many other Gwinnett county buses, has a door lock system I rather like and will probably get for my own. It basically has a twist handle the goes through the door and a latch that spans the hinge point, preventing the door from inward movement. It has a key so it can be locked (which I tried, and it worked). Not the most elegant solution, but simple, effective and it works. (I did not see a lock on the back door but I didn't check from inside.)

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
How do you source something like that?
LKQ or Vanderhag's.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I went by and crawled under the bus and took a couple transmission photos. I can confirm, the ID plate very clearly says AT545. I tried checking the rear axle but it was covered with a layer of "gunk" and though I could have tried to clean it off, the gravel was kinda hard on my knees and legs so I skipped it.

On the plus side, the underside looked very much rust-free. I even thought to check - the 8-way flashers still work! This bus, along with many other Gwinnett county buses, has a door lock system I rather like and will probably get for my own. It basically has a twist handle the goes through the door and a latch that spans the hinge point, preventing the door from inward movement. It has a key so it can be locked (which I tried, and it worked). Not the most elegant solution, but simple, effective and it works. (I did not see a lock on the back door but I didn't check from inside.)

First off brad is the MAN! He did all of this on a whim to help out a complete stranger and I can’t thank him enough.

As far as researching the IDI and getting more out of it, let’s not forget I only have a buzzed night of auction biddings worth of emotion into this. It doesn’t make much sense to me to drop a couple grand into an IDI when I could just as easily let it go and try again knowing what I know now. I very much intend for my skoolie to see all ends of the country, so highways driving is an absolute must have.

For those interested for the skoolie board here I would let it go for about $4500, but would also consider trading it for anything cool of equal value, cars,trucks, boats, farm animals, antiques, gold, other skoolies, rare bourbon (Which will likely come full circle and result in more poor auction bidding). Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	957.4 KB
ID:	47733
tjh1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Guys,

It depends on the specs.

The 7.3 idi came at around I believe 150 hp NA in buses and 185hp NA in trucks. If your t444e is a 175hp variant, you aren't much better then that, even with your turbo. Peak torque on an idi is 1400 rpm. Peak hp depends on what they have the governor in the pump set at. Trucks was around 3000. Navistar spec'd 2600 in the buses, but all the ones I've seen were at the truck setting.

I can go 70+ on flat ground in a full sized bus with my NA 6.9, and mine only likely has about 170-180 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh1127 View Post
It doesn’t make much sense to me to drop a couple grand into an IDI when I could just as easily let it go and try again knowing what I know now. I very much intend for my skoolie to see all ends of the country, so highways driving is an absolute must have.
Best thing I've read in this thread! With money the IDI could do it, but why would you want to do that when that same money can be spent to buy a better bus........

Good luck with your flip. IMO school buses are hot right now. No idea what you paid, but bringing it back north and reselling it could make you a good profit.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Well when you think about a sailboat making a passage going about 5 mph, 10 mph they are quite thrilled, going 55mph seems downright blazing.
I sail so I concur

we downsized from our 26ft to a 22ft we plan to tow behind the vista

so yeah, fast is relative

However you'd have to change the trans and likely not the rear end if the members are saying the engine is just not very gutsy. I think if you re-geared you would hate it more

edit... I do miss the Kaiju though

RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Guys,

IMO school buses are hot right now. No idea what you paid, but bringing it back north and reselling it could make you a good profit.
I've noticed that too... last year I was seeing junkers at $1500... now about EVERYTHING is $4k ish..

take it up north, just drive slow, and you would make bank being a rust free southern car up there.

not everyone wants to fly about the country... some skoolies travel little

ideal bus for one of them Portland live free and park types or whatnot, minimal driving
Old 08-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I've noticed that too... last year I was seeing junkers at $1500... now about EVERYTHING is $4k ish..

take it up north, just drive slow, and you would make bank being a rust free southern car up there.

not everyone wants to fly about the country... some skoolies travel little

ideal bus for one of them Portland live free and park types or whatnot, minimal driving

I may just do it, just would love to avoid the 15+ hours of travel if possible. I would love to buy some land and do just that but up here in Michigan almost all the towns where land is plentiful and worth having they have rules against Parking (rvs or anything for that matter) as permanent structures. You have to move them usually every two weeks so that won’t work for me either
Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
I may just do it, just would love to avoid the 15+ hours of travel if possible. I would love to buy some land and do just that but up here in Michigan almost all the towns where land is plentiful and worth having they have rules against Parking (rvs or anything for that matter) as permanent structures. You have to move them usually every two weeks so that won’t work for me either

ha! land of the free indeed eh?

(I'm a brit, I've lived here a long time, but always a brit lol)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #29
Bus Nut

More boat pics!

I think this Skoolie thing is just the same as Wharram Catamarans. Wharram built a super cheap and simple boat and had naked girls with him on trips. Everyone wants to be Wharram and build a boat like his. Skoolies are cheap simple hippy motorhomes, now everyone wants to pretend they are cheap simply hippies and build or buy their cheap simple hippy $100,000 Skoolie.

Today, a nice Gunboat 68 is about $3 million dollars. Does it come with two naked girls? Maybe.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Well look at my username lol

although there is no "marina" here in Rolesville (my town in NC) It's the nickname to my back yard shop... I like to putter, build and fix things... I restored vintage boats, word got out... I kinda helped folks a long time. I don't do it anymore for $$... trying to keep the missus happy by using our stuff instead of always on to the next "project"

I bought this to use at the summer house, which is at the sea. (well the explorer I bought for $900, just to tow the boat lol)

We will tow it behind the bus too instead of the sailboat, depending on where we go.

or we may flat tow the YJ and go out west never know

Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
As I mentioned a couple posts above, either a truck junkyard, or an axle shop.
Ah, yes. Thank you. I missed that.

In my defense, I've been underneath the rig getting splashed in the face with grey water inbetween those two posts.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
Well look at my username lol

although there is no "marina" here in Rolesville (my town in NC) It's the nickname to my back yard shop... I like to putter, build and fix things... I restored vintage boats, word got out... I kinda helped folks a long time. I don't do it anymore for $$... trying to keep the missus happy by using our stuff instead of always on to the next "project"

I bought this to use at the summer house, which is at the sea. (well the explorer I bought for $900, just to tow the boat lol)

We will tow it behind the bus too instead of the sailboat, depending on where we go.

or we may flat tow the YJ and go out west never know

I have a 26 foot 2019 Tahoe LTZ VRB Tritoon. VRB stands for versatile rear bed, basically has a queen size bed in the back, could sleep on this thing very comfortably! (I also am realizing I don’t have a single picture of it as a whole boat)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
I feel like I got real lucky the guys at the yard put my international dt 466 on the computer and removed the governed setting that was keeping it at 55 mph now it does 85 mph easy and I must admit if it goes faster I don't want to find out that's a lot of steel to be doing that speed. 70 mph is good. Mine is a full size measures 37 feet has a Allison 2500 mh Trans. I left the inside in it no stripping and fitted it with cabinets, stove, hot water heater, kitchen sink, full bath with black water holding tank, grey water holding tank, fresh water holding tank with 12 volt water pump, propane ducted 35000 btu forced hot air heater, 13,500 btu roof a/c, and i cut the wheel chair lift that came out of it and modified it to fit on the back of the bus to use as a motorcycle lift for my harley road king. I put a 18 foot awning on the side and we got us a motorhome
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Our boat, no naked girls though.

Must say the 7.3 and the AT 545 do not make for a great road warrior.
Attached Thumbnails
20190404_131032.jpg  
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #35

Year: 1966
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: FordB600
Engine: 330HD
Rated Cap: 60
Don't forget about Cavitation. That engine is notorious for this affliction if not property treated. There used to be a Banks turbo you could add to that engine that might help but the later model with the factory turbo was far surperior.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll bet you this bus has a 545. Why would anyone put a 643 with that engine?
Where is the torque peak on an IDI?

Torque peak is about 1200RPM, HP peak its governed Highest RPM.

I have an old 89 Ford F450 towtruck with a NA 7.3IDI. It has close to 500K on the truck 3/4 of that are my miles. Mine will run 3200 RPM all day long (Ford goverend their 7.3 at 3200, Its the SAME ENGINE AS NAVSTAR!!) at 70MPH hauling 2 truck/cars,....Just Not up grades. She slows a bit. Mine has a 5 sp OD and 5.13 gears.
If you want it to last do NOT turbo it. If a turbo was really needed it would have cam with it. A Ford injection pump will fit it just fine and fix the 2800 RPM limit. UNLESS
there is a rat/squirrel nest in the air box.
Or the fuel filter is clogged
or the fuel screen in the tank is clogged.

There isn't really anything wrong with 55 MPH.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
and i cut the wheel chair lift that came out of it and modified it to fit on the back of the bus to use as a motorcycle lift for my harley road king

I'd like to see this.. max rating on most of the wheelchair lifts is 800 lbs and max tested weight of a lift is 1k lbs. I use mine to lift a Vstar 650 in and out and I am "pushing it" Road kin is like 800+ lbs, and being longer than a wheelchair the leverage further increases the weight.

what mods did you do to deal with the weight? I'd like to see your design
Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeon1 View Post
Don't forget about Cavitation. That engine is notorious for this affliction if not property treated. There used to be a Banks turbo you could add to that engine that might help but the later model with the factory turbo was far surperior.
The only time I've seen cavitation issues is when the cooling system was neglected. That's more of a pickup issue because most of the pickup owners that do their own oil changes are clueless about coolant and additives.

Or the truck is in an area where antifreeze isn't necessary and they run water in the system

Most md and hd mechanics that I've met are aware of the additives and either check them like they're supposed to, or ignore them because of laziness.

Several companies have made turbo kits. Banks, hypermax, ATS, and a handful of small companies. Hypermax is the only one that I know of that was engineered to fit the IH chassis, the rest are designed around ford pickups and will likely require modification to make work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Torque peak is about 1200RPM, HP peak its governed Highest RPM.

I have an old 89 Ford F450 towtruck with a NA 7.3IDI. It has close to 500K on the truck 3/4 of that are my miles. Mine will run 3200 RPM all day long (Ford goverend their 7.3 at 3200, Its the SAME ENGINE AS NAVSTAR!!) at 70MPH hauling 2 truck/cars,....Just Not up grades. She slows a bit. Mine has a 5 sp OD and 5.13 gears.
If you want it to last do NOT turbo it. If a turbo was really needed it would have cam with it. A Ford injection pump will fit it just fine and fix the 2800 RPM limit. UNLESS
there is a rat/squirrel nest in the air box.
Or the fuel filter is clogged
or the fuel screen in the tank is clogged.

There isn't really anything wrong with 55 MPH.
The long block engine is the same. There are different engine mounts, oil coolers, manifolds, and other odds and ends between IH and Ford.

You can turbo them, which will wake them up tremendously, yet still maintain reliability. Granted, don't push 30 psi of boost through them, you'll lift the heads for sure. There are arp stud kits for them now that remedies that issue.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Well no one bought it so I had to go pick it up. Happy to report I made the first two hundred of 800 miles without incident and it ran great. In some ways it’s nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be in another’s it’s worse. The drone from the engine is so loud I can barely hear myself think but overall drivability isn’t bad. Forget talking about 70 though, I’d really like to be able to maintain 50 or 55 on a slight upgrade. As it stands right now if there is a long but shallow upgrade the bus will crawl to 35 there’s nothing you can do will get it to go faster until you had flat ground or a downgrade
Old 08-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well no one bought it so I had to go pick it up. Happy to report I made the first two hundred of 800 miles without incident and it ran great. In some ways it’s nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be in another’s it’s worse. The drone from the engine is so loud I can barely hear myself think but overall drivability isn’t bad. Forget talking about 70 though, I’d really like to be able to maintain 50 or 55 on a slight upgrade. As it stands right now if there is a long but shallow upgrade the bus will crawl to 35 there’s nothing you can do will get it to go faster until you had flat ground or a downgrade
ugh 35mph eh

yeah sell it to some hippies to park in the woods somewhere