Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

E450 6.0L Diesel Oil Change Video

If anyone is looking for help on how to change their own oil here is a short video I made to try to help out.

https://youtu.be/bPW3B-D6yac

Car Guys Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Thanks for sharing.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Nice video. You make it look like it makes sense to change your own oil. I hate that job. My bus has the same 14 qts of 15/40 but a bucket sized spin on oil filter which I fill before installation to shorten the oil starvation period in the engine. Good that you reminded people to remove the old "O" ring. Two "O" rings makes for a disaster down the road due to complete oil loss.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Hate to break it to you, I'm suggesting you stop running your engine and make sure the cap and filter you used are correct.

Certain filters (wix made for sure) you replace the filter and cap as one whole assembly. The filter unit isn't replaceable on those, and if you do somehow remove the filter to replace it, the motorcraft one isn't the same exact size and will allow oil to bypass the filter.

Typically, if you have difficulty removing the filter from the cap, it's supposed to be replaced as an assembly. Motorcraft filters and caps pop apart very easily by hand. Motorcraft has also only ever used black o-rings with their 6.0 filters. If you see a color other then black, that's also a sign something screwy is going on. For instance, napa gold 6.0 filters use a yellow o-ring. That's all been my experience.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if the van filters are this way, but the truck filters definitely are, and running a motorcraft filter in a wix cap will allow oil to bypass the filter and ruin the engine.

Seeing how you had to put it in a vise to remove the old filter, how you had a different colored o-ring on the filter cap, and how the media end caps are different between the old and new filters, I'd say you should either replace your current cap with a known motorcraft unit, or replace the entire filter and cap assembly with one from a different manufacturer. I'd hate to see you ruin your engine over an oil filter.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Oh, and next oil change, try using 5w40 instead of 15w40. In my experience, the thinner oil does wonders for cold cranking and startability, especially below freezing.

That suggestion holds true for all diesel engines, but HEUI injected engines especially.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Hate to break it to you, I'm suggesting you stop running your engine and make sure the cap and filter you used are correct.

Certain filters (wix made for sure) you replace the filter and cap as one whole assembly. The filter unit isn't replaceable on those, and if you do somehow remove the filter to replace it, the motorcraft one isn't the same exact size and will allow oil to bypass the filter.

Typically, if you have difficulty removing the filter from the cap, it's supposed to be replaced as an assembly. Motorcraft filters and caps pop apart very easily by hand. Motorcraft has also only ever used black o-rings with their 6.0 filters. If you see a color other then black, that's also a sign something screwy is going on. For instance, napa gold 6.0 filters use a yellow o-ring. That's all been my experience.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if the van filters are this way, but the truck filters definitely are, and running a motorcraft filter in a wix cap will allow oil to bypass the filter and ruin the engine.

Seeing how you had to put it in a vise to remove the old filter, how you had a different colored o-ring on the filter cap, and how the media end caps are different between the old and new filters, I'd say you should either replace your current cap with a known motorcraft unit, or replace the entire filter and cap assembly with one from a different manufacturer. I'd hate to see you ruin your engine over an oil filter.

Thanks for all the additional information, whoever did it last used some no name "made in china" filters I'd be surprised if they changed the cap. It's probably more myth than fact, but many people swear by Motorcraft for Ford engines so I stick with that.

Like I said in my video, I'm not a professional, just trying to save some folks some trouble and money, by offering a DIY option. There's also not a lot of 6.0L van videos out there.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Oh, and next oil change, try using 5w40 instead of 15w40. In my experience, the thinner oil does wonders for cold cranking and startability, especially below freezing.

That suggestion holds true for all diesel engines, but HEUI injected engines especially.
Will do, my friend I'm building it for will be mostly in warm climates so shouldn't have too many cold starts.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guys Anonymous View Post
Thanks for all the additional information, whoever did it last used some no name "made in china" filters I'd be surprised if they changed the cap. It's probably more myth than fact, but many people swear by Motorcraft for Ford engines so I stick with that.

Like I said in my video, I'm not a professional, just trying to save some folks some trouble and money, by offering a DIY option. There's also not a lot of 6.0L van videos out there.
You didn't read my post, or you didn't understand it, so I'll try and say it again.

The question is whether or not they installed, which is the cap you put back on, a motorcraft cap. Your non-motorcraft filters come with the cap and the non-motorcrafts caps aren't compatible with motorcraft filters. So if they used a non-motorcraft/cheap filter and cap assembly, you putting a motorcraft filter in the cheap cap is not going to work.

The motorcraft filter is shorter then the non-motorcraft one, so when a motorcraft filter is installed in a non-motorcraft cap, it leaves room for oil to bypass the filter completely, which sends dirty unfiltered oil to your bearings, injectors, and everything else in the engine.

This is an issue with ford trucks for sure, but vans might have the same problem too.

Here is a video from motorcraft that shows the issue I'm talking about. https://youtu.be/cFXd2KRB4Qo?t=215

Too short of a filter, or the correct filter in the wrong cap, will cause unfiltered oil to bypass the filter and enter the engine.

The question isn't whether or not they used a cheap filter or a motorcraft filter. It's whether or not what you have is correct. Use motorcraft filters only with motorcraft caps.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
You didn't read my post, or you didn't understand it, so I'll try and say it again.

The question is whether or not they installed, which is the cap you put back on, a motorcraft cap. Your non-motorcraft filters come with the cap and the non-motorcrafts caps aren't compatible with motorcraft filters. So if they used a non-motorcraft/cheap filter and cap assembly, you putting a motorcraft filter in the cheap cap is not going to work.

The motorcraft filter is shorter then the non-motorcraft one, so when a motorcraft filter is installed in a non-motorcraft cap, it leaves room for oil to bypass the filter completely, which sends dirty unfiltered oil to your bearings, injectors, and everything else in the engine.

This is an issue with ford trucks for sure, but vans might have the same problem too.

Here is a video from motorcraft that shows the issue I'm talking about. https://youtu.be/cFXd2KRB4Qo?t=215

Too short of a filter, or the correct filter in the wrong cap, will cause unfiltered oil to bypass the filter and enter the engine.

The question isn't whether or not they used a cheap filter or a motorcraft filter. It's whether or not what you have is correct. Use motorcraft filters only with motorcraft caps.
Boyah45828 good catch, I crawled back underneath and found that it does not have the Ford part number 4C2Z-6766-BA. it says on the side “WIX cap do not reuse”

I ordered the correct cap once I get it I’ll replace it and add an addendum to the video.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

Updated Oil Change Video with Detail About Canister

I updated the oil change video to explain the info @Booyah pointed out. WIX comes with a filter in the cap, but you cannot use a Motorcraft filter in the WIX cap, they make it hard to remove on purpose.

https://youtu.be/Tp0Ri2mOdi0

Tags
diesel, e450, ford e-450, oil change, tin lizzy