Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2023, 05:32 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 6 liter turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Ford/Carrier A/C help

I am a newbie to this site, live in San Diego County, so please forgive me if this is not posted in the proper place. I could really use some advice. We have a 2004 Bluebird Mircrobus on a Ford e450 6-liter turbo-diesel cutaway frame that I converted to a skoolie myself. Has Carrier A/C unit in
back -- with condenser under the skirt -- which hasn't been working, and dash A/C in the Ford cab. It hass been good to use for about 16,000+ miles. But on a recent trip, A/C compressor on the engine began screaming *loud.* When I looked at it, I could see clutch seizing periodically. Noise stopped completely when A/C was turned off. Took it to Ford dealer when we got home. They said there were metal shavings in the system, and that the two units -- dash and Carrier -- are connected. Told me they could not fix it, we had to take it somewhere to have the Carrier A/C serviced before the could do anything with Ford dash unit. I am having trouble finding anyone to do the work. Mobile Climate Control, which Carrier sold it's mobile business to, closed its San Diego location and nearest one is hours away. Others have declined the job. I'd like to separate the back unit - since we've never really used it -- from the dash A/C, and then get that repaired. Any advice on where to have that done? (I don't have freon collection or skills for that work.) Also, we are planning to use the bus soon. Compressor noise stops completely when you turn A/C off. Do you think it is OK to drive it that way, and not damage the serpentine belt or anything else? I would really appreciate your advice.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
When you turn on the AC it engages a clutch on the compressor pulley; otherwise, the pulley spins but the compressor isn't moving.

From your description it sounds like the compressor is somehow damaged, so as long as you don't turn on the AC, the clutch won't engage, and you should be fine-other than not having AC.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Unplug the wire going to the compressor, that will turn it off, and then see if all the noise stops. If it does-- I don't see a reason you couldn't drive it forever in that condition. (With the compressor unplugged...)
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:16 PM   #4

Yes, noise stops when A/C off. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
not a ford but for my chevy cutaway i got a used condensor and new lines for a chevy 3500 16 passenger van from parts geek.
the condensor moves to in front of the radiator and the new lines get rid of the tees that feed the unit in the back.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

oh and the compressor came out of a suburban in the junk yard.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:08 PM   #7

On closer inspection under the engine, the Ford dealer is full of it. This thing has *two* serpentine belts, one that runs the compressor that failed, the alternator, etc. There is also an A/C condenser in front of the radiator. There's a second pulley that looks like it was bolted onto the first, maybe by Bluebird. Best I can see, the belt on it appears to run what looks like a second compressor, buried up in the engine compartment. (Not sure if it powers anything else.) I think that must be for the back unit, and connected to the condenser under the bus behind the skirt. Does that make sense? If so, it appears I can just deal with the front A/C and ignore the second or even take it out. Thank you much for your time. I think I am slowing figuring things out thanks to you.
Jan&Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #8

On closer inspection under the engine, the Ford dealer is full of it. This thing has *two* serpentine belts, one that runs the compressor that failed, the alternator, etc. There is also an A/C condenser in front of the radiator. There's a second pulley that looks like it was bolted onto the first, maybe by Bluebird. Best I can see, the belt on it appears to run what looks like a second compressor, buried up in the engine compartment. (Not sure if it powers anything else.) I think that must be for the back unit, and connected to the condenser under the bus behind the skirt. Does that make sense? If so, it appears I can just deal with the front A/C and ignore the second or even take it out. Thank you much for your time. I think I am slowing figuring things out thanks to you.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:18 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
I was highly suspicious when they said the two systems were tied together. I had never seen that, but was afraid to comment, because I did not know for sure.

At least you have a working front AC, which is all you may actually need.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #10
Bus Geek

my little bus 04 chevy 3500 only has one compressor one condensor and the systems tied together at the underskirt condensor so mine was a little more work to keep dasch a/c.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Tie-in systems are more common than completely separate ones.. generally the choice is made by the chassis.. so what ive seen more than once is the chassis is shipped wit ha full working dash A/C system as that is what is standard.. if I rememebr right you have to special order either A/C delete or body-builder A/C prep..

A/C delete is just the way it sounds complete delete.. some arent even offering this anymore.. I dont think the newer Transit chassis can be ordered without..

body builder prep is where the front A/C controls and Dash evaporator are installed and maybe the compressor (it used to be even the compressor was not placed.. then I think that changed)

if a chassis got shipped with a full working dash A/C system then likely the coach builder would just install a complete second one and not dismantle the existing one.. or the bus got delivered dash air only and then sent out for rear.. ive seen quite a few busses around here with dash air only so they built a bunch over the years..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, bluebird minibus, carrier, ford