Old 11-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Front wheel drive???

Hello, I have been looking around at buses and found one that seems like it could work for my situation. the bus is a 2000 e450 7.3 liter super duty. It has an automatic transmission and front wheel drive. So, i guess my questions are,
1) is there anything i need to know about these buses?
2) Why is it front wheel drive,and is that something to avoid?
Thank you for your help
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Front wheel drive

Are you sure you don't mean 4 wheel drive? Unless this is some kind of custom job the e450 never came front wheel drive only. You may want to verify the info.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
Are you sure you don't mean 4 wheel drive? Unless this is some kind of custom job the e450 never came front wheel drive only. You may want to verify the info.
thats kind of why i asked as well. i figured the craigslist add could have been wrong. Thanks ill look into it.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
FWD to some can mean front or four wheel drive.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Would they make a shuttle bus with four wheel drive? this bus has a parking company of america logo on it, which seems like it wouldnt have been necessary for it to be four wheel drive.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
Would they make a shuttle bus with four wheel drive? this bus has a parking company of america logo on it, which seems like it wouldnt have been necessary for it to be four wheel drive.
All depends on who ordered it and spec'd it out.
I alsways ask myself why there are so many busses that look alike but are one or two or three rows of seats longer than the other.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I have photos in my IH book showing a few custom made Front Wheel Drive Loadstars back in the 70's. IH didn't build too many of them and they were rather specialized use - airport fuel haulers, if I remember correctly.

Since the custom builder didn't need the frame rails behind the cab (nor the rear-end), IH built a fair number of them as short-frame, double-cab affairs (and this was really just for ease of moving them down the assembly line and to the custom builder); they were cut apart at the custom builder for whatever modifications they did.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
thats kind of why i asked as well. i figured the craigslist add could have been wrong. Thanks ill look into it.
I think the answer is in the for "Craigslist" I find that a very large number of ads are posted by people that have no idea what they are selling. A picture of the bus would help, but chances are it is a basic rear wheel drive bus. If it was 4 wheels drive or front wheel drive, the front end would have to be higher to allow the axle and drive components.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5862017663.html
Old 05-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: In the market
This one?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/l...ind-31094.html

From what I can tell, it IS front wheel drive to facilitate a low floor, high ceiling, wheelchair access and kneeling function. It's like a really big minivan I guess and in a few pics you can see the driver is a step up which is how the engine and transmission fits. There was another thread with the same bus on offer and a pic which included the underside which from what I can tell the driveshaft sends back up front into the front axle.

In any case, it would be a bit of a unicorn so you'd be hard-pressed to get much help in a conversion. I may also be overly conventional but the single rear wheel design may prove a limitation as you begin adding the weight of a built-in interior, holding tanks, batteries, etc.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote