Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
stone21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: home, washington
Posts: 52
Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0
hole to hades?

there's a hole in the floor seemingly for access to the diesel fuel tank from above...don't think it is meant to sweep dirt into ...what repair might be needed to require access to the tank from above?...and is it important to keep when i replace the flooring?
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Lake geneva Wisconsin
Posts: 199
Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Mine had one i left it accessible. I'd guess it'd be for a fuel pump or such.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
wunderhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Farmington, IL
Posts: 187
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Fuel sending unit is down there. If it goes out, no fuel gauge.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
As above. Access to sending unit. Do NOT hard cover it or you will have to drop the tank to get to the sender. They don't last forever.

I made a new cover for mine that is now located inside the storage under a fold out sleeper.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
As above. Access to sending unit. Do NOT hard cover it or you will have to drop the tank to get to the sender. They don't last forever.

I made a new cover for mine that is now located inside the storage under a fold out sleeper.
.... and don't buy a Ford Wndstar.

They forgot to put in an access panel for the fuel pump, and the tank has to come out to replace it ... and it WILL need replacing.

Don't ask me how I know!
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
A 4-1/2" grinder and thin kerf cut off wheel will provide access right nicely.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
A 4-1/2" grinder and thin kerf cut off wheel will provide access right nicely.
Cutting through thin steel that has a plastic gas-tank slung up against it, didn't appeal
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,624
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I covered mine & redesigned so I can drop the tank if need be.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I covered mine & redesigned so I can drop the tank if need be.

I dropped my tank, figured- how hard can it be? SOB had so many locknuts, so many safety plates...my bus was too far from the air and not mobile, so did it all by hand...in the winter..in Chicago. Tore my f#@$%ing bicep, still healing.

Cleaned /painted tank, cleaned sender, verified working. Reassembled sender. Don't work.

Next....
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,624
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I dropped my tank, figured- how hard can it be? SOB had so many locknuts, so many safety plates...my bus was too far from the air and not mobile, so did it all by hand...in the winter..in Chicago. Tore my f#@$%ing bicep, still healing.

Cleaned /painted tank, cleaned sender, verified working. Reassembled sender. Don't work.

Next....
It does help to have proper & nessary equipment, I use a transmission Jack to lower my tanks .
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,261
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
The mechanic had to drop the fuel tank on my 98 Astro to replace the fuel pump. Unfortunately, the idiot did NOT follow installation instructions on the new plug harness. He only twisted the ends together with wire nuts instead of soldering them. Cost me $400 MORE to fix his screw-up.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
The mechanic had to drop the fuel tank on my 98 Astro to replace the fuel pump. Unfortunately, the idiot did NOT follow installation instructions on the new plug harness. He only twisted the ends together with wire nuts instead of soldering them. Cost me $400 MORE to fix his screw-up.
That is baloney. When I was 20, I had a 1959 FJ40 I had the engine rebuilt, so I thought. They powerwashed it and painted it blue, for $2200. He did that to 10 other customers and we class-actioned him out of biz.

After that I did all my own repairs- my 2002 truck that I bought new has never seen a "pro" shop.

fj.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×