Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2021, 11:14 PM   #1

Little Bus shut off while driving! Help please!

Hi, my friends 2006 Ford e450 shut off while driving.... No sputtering, just lost power and died. Had it towed off the freeway and now stranded. We check the battery juice, both batteries tested at 12.4. We removed the alternator, took it to the zone and had it tested... It was bad, bought a new one, installed it, put the bus back together and it still wouldn't start... Tried to jump it... Nothing, not cranking over.... I sent them diagrams of the starter solenoid so they can check for bad connection or corrosion. Since this all happened on a bumpy construction zone freeway, I'm wondering if something shook loose... I read something somewhere about some kind of "hot nut" and wiring around the starter.... The guy who had the bus before removed something around the ignition as some kinda bypass.... Bus ran fine for the last 6 months, but, he has wires hanging out around the steering wheel where the ignition would be mounted, it's all.hanging. He bought it this way. I'm not sure how to tell then where to find the hot nut to check the connection there. Anyways, I'm waiting to see if they found anything wrong with the solenoid.... Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here? Thank you!

HeeeyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Is the starter solenoid receiving power? If you turn the ignition on and jump the starter solenoid, can you get the bus to start? Idk anything about a "hot nut", but the wiring mess hanging down under the dash is concerning.

Gas or Diesel engine btw?
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
i wonder if he fixed it? wish he would have finished the post? would have like to know what it was for future reference? when i first got my bus i had no brake lights? i spent two weeks defragmented/removed all unnecessary wiring, tracking, CB, stereo, etc in the cab. made everything back to OEM ford & OEM thomas. it was a mess. all of a sudden the lights worked i still to this day dont know what it was LOL sometimes just to remove a good fuse and put it back will fix the contact connection!
Old 12-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Ford has an electric fuel shutoff switch somewhere in the dash that can get weak as it ages. My work had an F350 crew cab that died when someone punched the passenger side of the dashboard. Our trucks switch was behind the passenger foot kickpanel. Not sure if it will keep it from cranking but its a weak spot in Fords.
Edit: gah old post!
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
ya know i been surfing the forum a little and thats the 3 rd time ive heard about a fuel shut off switch thats not well known or easily accessible?
im trying to learn about my bus for future issues?
thanks for the schooling!

Tags
help please!, lost power, no start, stranded, stuck