Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

More than hard to start

Purchased a 1986 ford B full sized bus. Has a 429 4bbl manual choke mated to a 4sp manual transmission! Very difficult to start! Carb has gas apparently leaking out the bottom probably indicating a stuck float! Previous owner said it was finniky, but if I followed his written instructions, it would start! It did for awhile! Always liked manual choke carbs! Maybe it’s just me!
Don’t know what make carb it is for sure but from what I read, it’s likely a Holley. What’s my best (and easiest)option. ie. Remove carb and check out the float? Replace the carb? Help, Please!

Jaredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Remove the carb and get the numbers from it. Buy a rebuild kit from your auto parts store and rebuild it yourself or have a mechanic do it. The hardest part of rebuilding a carb is not losing all of the tiny parts and properly setting the float level. After that it takes patience to adjust all of the ports and choke to make it run correctly.

I have rebuilt a few of them in my day but it has been a while since no vehicle has been made with a carburetor on it for nigh on 35 years now. The last one I rebuilt was a 4 barrel Edelbrock, but to get all of the adjusting done took finding a mechanic that still knew how to do it, they seem to be few and far between around here. If you have a mechanic close to you that still has the skill set to rebuilt and adjust a carb then that will be your best bet.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
holley carb with governor.. if its got the plastic floats this is a real common issue!! floods it out real quick.. if she wont fire and smells like gasoline.. push the choke all the way in (off).. floor the accelerator and vrank the starter.. once it fires of course let off the pedal so it doesnt just rev..

get a rebuild kit and watch some youtube videos on carb rebuilding.. if your rebuild kit comes with the plastic floats.. go elsewhere and order som metal ones separately..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

I’d have to get a knowledgeable mechanic to do it! I have leftover parts when rebuilding lawnmower carbs!��!!! Sure, $ will be a factor, but what about a reconditioned carb? Glad to know about the plastic floats leaking! First things first however, —I’ll have to get the carb off. Doesn’t look too complicated. 4 bolts, choke cable, accelerator cable and fuel line! Anything else I missed!
Jaredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
There will be one or more vacuum tubes as well and most kits do not come with floats anymore, they are sold separately.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote