Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Powerstroke 6.0 EGR delete and California?

Hey Everyone,

We purchased a short bus for conversion. (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...tml#post169091). It is living with me in Washington and emissions testing is not required where I live.

I see the advantages of the EGR delete on the 6.0 and I see many folks installing them here with no problem. It was explained to me that even in the areas of Washington that do require emissions testing that all they are looking at is "exhaust opacity". If it doesn't smoke it passes.

That said, this bus is eventually headed to California. I have heard that their test is similar but I have no solid info.

Does anyone here have any firsthand info regarding passing emissions in CA with an EGR delete installed?

The EGR on this rig is fine but I do recognize that it is one of the more common items requiring service on this motor and that the delete kit would improve fuel economy and remove the EGR as a potential point of failure down the road.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

S.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Everyone,

We purchased a short bus for conversion. (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...tml#post169091). It is living with me in Washington and emissions testing is not required where I live.

I see the advantages of the EGR delete on the 6.0 and I see many folks installing them here with no problem. It was explained to me that even in the areas of Washington that do require emissions testing that all they are looking at is "exhaust opacity". If it doesn't smoke it passes.

That said, this bus is eventually headed to California. I have heard that their test is similar but I have no solid info.

Does anyone here have any firsthand info regarding passing emissions in CA with an EGR delete installed?

The EGR on this rig is fine but I do recognize that it is one of the more common items requiring service on this motor and that the delete kit would improve fuel economy and remove the EGR as a potential point of failure down the road.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

S.
Nobody has seen an EGR delete in California???
Old 11-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I seem to remember Bill on powerstrokehelp.com talking about californa and their NAZIism for emissions inspections.. I dont know if he has ever done delete on a truck that was headed back to california or not..

doesnt bulletproof make an EGR and cooler that actually works so no need to delete?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I seem to remember Bill on powerstrokehelp.com talking about californa and their NAZIism for emissions inspections.. I dont know if he has ever done delete on a truck that was headed back to california or not..

doesnt bulletproof make an EGR and cooler that actually works so no need to delete?

-Christopher
They do. In searching & reading I have found a handful of folks are selling upgraded coolers.

That may be the way to go. I would prefer the delete as it improves performance and fuel mileage but if if failed emissions test that would be a game stopper.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Hello my first post (Newbie) this just happens to be something I know about.
Deleting will will result in a code you cant get rid of and heard from some folks in Calf some visual inspections have taken place and its easy to tell its been deleted.
There is a ton of information on the subject on ford truck enthusiast. Bullet proof makes better options other than delete but some master techs just recomend the updated ford cooler and be done with it. Buy a scan gauge II for it, it plugs right in under the dash and monitor your deltas (difference between water/oil temp) when it gets close to 15 Degrees your cooler is plugged and your headed for a disaster. If the truck starts running like crap because of a bad EGR unplug it.
Had the issue with mine coughing and spitting unplugged it -ran great. They are good engines despite the cooler. Bulletproof system eliminates the need for monitoring deltas and is a better upgrade. Head studs are also a problem with these motors but I have been OK.
Anything you want to know about the 6.0 is on the site above or the other one mentioned. I tend to take the advice of the ford master diesel tech on the site he knows his stuff and has saved me a ton of money.
Diesel tech Ron on you tube is another great resource for the 6.0 but sadly he has passed away. The guy save me thousands of dollars in repair bills.
Ken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3 View Post
Hello my first post (Newbie) this just happens to be something I know about.
Deleting will will result in a code you cant get rid of and heard from some folks in Calf some visual inspections have taken place and its easy to tell its been deleted.
There is a ton of information on the subject on ford truck enthusiast. Bullet proof makes better options other than delete but some master techs just recomend the updated ford cooler and be done with it. Buy a scan gauge II for it, it plugs right in under the dash and monitor your deltas (difference between water/oil temp) when it gets close to 15 Degrees your cooler is plugged and your headed for a disaster. If the truck starts running like crap because of a bad EGR unplug it.
Had the issue with mine coughing and spitting unplugged it -ran great. They are good engines despite the cooler. Bulletproof system eliminates the need for monitoring deltas and is a better upgrade. Head studs are also a problem with these motors but I have been OK.
Anything you want to know about the 6.0 is on the site above or the other one mentioned. I tend to take the advice of the ford master diesel tech on the site he knows his stuff and has saved me a ton of money.
Diesel tech Ron on you tube is another great resource for the 6.0 but sadly he has passed away. The guy save me thousands of dollars in repair bills.
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the info!!

I had planned on an OBD scanner/monitor but was not aware of the idea of monitoring the oil/coolant deltas. Thank you for enlightening me.

I have looked at the Bulletproof setup. I would prefer a full delete if it could be done successfully. My understanding is that , with an appropriate programmer, you can turn off the code that results from the EGR delete. Can the CA emissions folks see this?

I would have to guess that the guy you mentioned that failed the visual inspection was not driving an E450.... I cannot see the EGR cooler on mine...

I will take a look at Ron's Youtube videos.

Thanks again.

S.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Steve- Ron has several videos that walk you thru Bullet proof systems. After years of research and talking with Techs they say the delete is great but if you get caught it has to be done properly. They sell a version of the cooler without the delete and it has good reviews. I live in the northeast so below zero weather effects the exterior cooler and my choice of what application is best for me. The biggest problem with the 6.0 early models was ford rushed them into production and pressured international to deliver ahead of schedule. Some of the early blocks were not properly flushed resulting in plugged oil coolers and blown head gaskets, a 10k cab off repair bill from dealers. The blame game ensued and they parted ways while the lawsuits played out.
Flushing the block and and changing the coolant was pretty much task number 1 with these engines just to be sure. A complete flush done correctly is exspensive so your better off doing some reading and doing it yourself if you have not already. Its a half day process and well worth removing the thermostat to speed up the process.
Emissions inspectors look for the removal of the EGR sensor and pedestal in the front the the engine it is rather easy to check and tells them you have removed the EGR cooler
I would not consider a delete myself because the improved designs have larger openings in the cooler and combined with a proper flush eliminate the issue.
Ford dealers will also know if the cooler has been deleted in the event you have to have work done by them and some will refuse to work on it because it is not legal to be on the road in its modified condition (Full Delete)
6.0s got a bad rap because of these issues and there are many bargains to be found if you know how to care for them. Like the 7.3 it will go forever with proper care.
Ken3 is offline   Reply With Quote