Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford 370 2V
Rated Cap: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to chefjuke
Removing Governor?

So I am planning on installing a new wiring harness on my 1979 Ford Carpenter B600 shortbus and I have a question regarding the speed governor unit.

Can/should I remove it and if so, how? I'm still working through the current wiring setup and not sure how the governor unit is entwined and what would be involved in removing it in a way that doesn't negatively affect the operation of the bus.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

chefjuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Why Remove Governor?

From your post, your knowledge maybe very limited about govenors. I think your knowledge and any gain in any way shall be limited. Get a tach and connect it, observe the speedo. What engine does the bus use? What trans. Do ya know anything about driving a bus? I am not being a jerk, just trying to point out there is more to driving a bus than owning a bus. Get some milage and some experiences. Some times things are as they should be. Miles per gallon is important, not top speed. Now if ya want a drag bus, this is a different situation. Ya gotta walk before ya run.
Old guy, Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Why Remove Governor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
From your post, your knowledge maybe very limited about govenors. I think your knowledge and any gain in any way shall be limited. Get a tach and connect it, observe the speedo. What engine does the bus use? What trans. Do ya know anything about driving a bus? I am not being a jerk, just trying to point out there is more to driving a bus than owning a bus. Get some milage and some experiences. Some times things are as they should be. Miles per gallon is important, not top speed. Now if ya want a drag bus, this is a different situation. Ya gotta walk before ya run.
Old guy, Frank
Old Guy Frank,

Well, it's a bit hard not to take your message as not being just a wee bit condescending, but if you want some clarification:

I've owned the bus for over 4 years and driven it on a number of long distance trips (800-1000 miles round trip). While it is my first Skoolie, it is by no means my first vehicle or my first time working on a vehicle, although I am doing more with this Skoolie in terms of vehicle mods and engine work than with any of my previous 10 vehicles.

As it is my first time owning a vehicle with a governor of any kind, I posted my question because I am looking for any guidance related to it. My main reason for asking about removing the governor is that I am planning on installing a new wiring harness and if the governor is not needed (which, since I am not clear on why it would be), then I would just as soon simply the process. My understanding was that governors were governmentally required on school buses at some point, not that they were necessary to run the vehicle safely.

The bus is a 1979 Ford B600 Shorty, with a Ford big block 370 2V engine. In the first year I owned it I focused mainly on interior modifications (seating, painting, etc.). Over the last year I have been working on getting it running as well as it can and updating some of the mechanics. I've already put in a new carburetor and alternator and am getting ready to install an HEI module and ultimately the new wiring harness that I noted above. In the process of investigating the current wiring, I came across the governor unit (which I ID' by doing a lengthy part number search and only found it referenced on a government parts website with no info other than it was a 'governor') and am trying to determine whether I need it and if not, how to remove it without negative consequences. I will post the part number when I get back home if that helps in any way.

So, yes, I am LOOKING to learn more about the bus, If you have some HELPFUL information to share, would love to hear it.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Removing Governor?

Its needed to keep engine rpm at an acceptable limit. No, dont remove it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Its needed to keep engine rpm at an acceptable limit. No, dont remove it.
Since I have a tach and don't intend on going more than 55, why would this be needed?

I guess I am looking for some more in-depth reasoning behind the need for the governor in the first place. If Is there a clear reason why a skoolie with a big block 370 needs one when my suburban with a 454 doesn't?

What am I missing?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

So long as 55 is below the gov max, you really dont. My first impression was that you were a 20 yr old clueless kid, wanting to hot rod it to get more speed out of it. We used to bypass the gov on that engine and drive them like we stole them! They can easily be bypassed. Thinking back 30 yrs, [ha]I think it was just a plug.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Does the carb have electronics?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

No, that I recall. BTW, I used to drive a lot of 366 and 370, I really like the 370.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Does the carb have electronics?

Hi,

No, the Carb doesn't have electronics. The Governor has Ford part # D9TE-12A458 BA

Here is a similar one on EBAY with pix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Motorcraft- ... 0461804174

Again, still trying to figure out how necessary this is before I re-wire the bus.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
One way to find out if you can remove it is to unplug it and see if your bus still works the same.

Rich
Right....Except.... right now I have the old dash and gauges out and am about to put in the new wire harness and don't have an option to go back and test. If I have to, I will just do my best to avoid changing any of the wiring related to the governor, just was hoping to find some info before making any more changes (yes, I wish I had found the sneaky bugger prior to pulling out the dash etc).

thx