Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 16
Small camper- big tow power

I am buying my e350 short bus primarily as a tractor, to pull a large enclosed trailer to the race track. Sometimes the track is hundreds of miles away. I selected it because of the 7.3 diesel, heavy frame, suspension and dual wheels. The bus was much cheaper that a similar pickup. My Suburban 1500 was not heavy duty enough for the task, and my new Silverado has to last me, so I want to use that for lighter work. I intend to strip out the seats, but I do not have plans to make it a home, only a well ventelated crash pad, and a place to keep our dogs out of the way, if we decided to bring them along. I may leave the interior as is, sans benches. I will want to (cheaply) paint it to avoid problems in various states which do not like it to remain school bus yellow. If anyone has experience with a brush and rustolium, please give me a lesson. Since we use this in the heat of summer, the roof must be white or silver, but beyond that, I am looking for ideas. Graffics might include something representing our real estate management company, Gold Star REO.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus-driverside.jpg  

Dragrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
It will do what you want, but be aware that it's very possible to trash the engine on long hills when heavily loaded or towing heavy loads. The 7.3l is more than happy to pull up long hills in OD but the high exhaust temps generated can melt valves or break pistons. An exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge is essential equipment for your application. You can get gauge clusters that mount on the windshield "A" pillar.

A the very least, cancel overdrive on hills.

If you're going to paint the roof consider adding some of the ceramic insulating beads by Hytech and others. Many here have used them and reported much lower inside temps when the bus is parked in the sun.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks again, Roach711
I had never heard of the ceramic trick, I did a little reading on the Hytech website, and will call them for more info tomorrow.
I am used to not using overdrive in my gas engine vehicles when pulling a race car trailer. I just figured I would do it that way, but I did have intensions of installing a trans heat guage, I figured that was the weak link.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrace View Post
Thanks again, Roach711
I had never heard of the ceramic trick, I did a little reading on the Hytech website, and will call them for more info tomorrow.
Most members here feel white elastomeric paint makes a massive difference in temperature of the roof, and is great for sealing small leaks.

The Hytech ceramic beads have been proven to make No significant difference in temperature.They are a expensive gimmick.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Don't blindly trust what Hytech tells you. They're in the business of making money, not helping people.

Here are some threads related to the ceramic insulating beads:
How to reduce thermal exchange sweating on ceiling
Insulating paint beads: Feedback from REAL people please
Old 04-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Depending upon which rear end gear ratio you have what you have might be a good tow vehicle or it may not.

The weak link in the set up is the E4OD/4R100 transmission or whatever the follow on version is called.

It is physically impossible to move the oil through the passages under big loads (like going up a big hill) fast enough to keep the oil from toasting.

Installing a trans temp guage will go a long way towards preventing catastrophic temps.

There are a few transmission builders who have discovered some work arounds that seem to work. There was an article in one of the latest Trailer Life magazines that highlighted one of those builders. Legendary 4R100 Heavy Duty Transmission

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you guys for your interest.