Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Things I learned this week.........

I, at one time owned and operated an import car repair shop... sold it and went racing. I retired last year and sat around not doin much.

So, a week ago I started working part time at a diesel truck shop. Mostly pickups.

I would like to pass on a couple of things I have learned.

DO NOT ASSUME THE GREEN HANDLE IS DIESEL FUEL.
read the label on the pump. There are five trucks this week, that put gasoline in the diesel truck and then drove the truck long enough to trash the injectors fuel pumps, and other parts...... The bill starts at $3000 and goes up from there. Insurance, full coverage usually covers.

the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesels only have four bolts for each piston on the cylinder head..... You push a stock unmodified motor with a heavy load or low on coolant you are likely to blow a head gasket..... These engines are a really tight fit in the engine compartment, a lot of time spent to do this job.... like more than a week, the bill for doing cylinder heads on a 2008 pickup..... about $7000. I have been only a week there, but from what I have seen in just a week.... I would not recommend buying a ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engine ... especially after 100,000 miles...... and alot of our buses are over 200,000 miles. Remember somebody else got most of the goody out of this machine before you did.

the 6.7 engines have more bolts around the piston, as do the duramax in the chevrolets, and the cummins in the dodge.

All the newer electronic diesels, keep the engine oil clean. Dirty worn out oil or oil contaminated with engine coolant will cost you.

william

magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Good to know, thanks,
jim
jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote