Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L diesel
Water pump fan removal

Hi all,

During the coolant flush prep, the bolts of the thermostat housing broke so here I am getting a new pump.

After watching YouTube videos on water pump replacement on several F series 7.3s (no videos on E series 7.3s), I see that on the videos the fan nut is easily seen from top down but not on my E450.
Cramped E series engine bay forcing the nut to be recessed into the fan center? Soo, is the fan broken or you guys have experienced this?

I went ahead and ordered crowsfoot wrench set hoping I'll be able to get that fan off.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BUSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
Wish i could help? just after i got my E350 snub nose with a 6.0 diesel the water pump started leaking. i can wrench on just about anything but when i popped the hood to take a look i got intimidated. everything is so cramped up. i took it to a pro diesel shop. he said they would remove the radiator to get to it. i decided to replace radiator, hoses, water pump, alternator, belt & pulley while he was in there! hopefully things will be good & trustworthy for a while? mechanic said as long as i dont hod rod & good service it will last another 75-100k. hopefully my experience may help? good luck.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #3

Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Roughneck View Post
Wish i could help? just after i got my E350 snub nose with a 6.0 diesel the water pump started leaking. i can wrench on just about anything but when i popped the hood to take a look i got intimidated. everything is so cramped up. i took it to a pro diesel shop. he said they would remove the radiator to get to it. i decided to replace radiator, hoses, water pump, alternator, belt & pulley while he was in there! hopefully things will be good & trustworthy for a while? mechanic said as long as i dont hod rod & good service it will last another 75-100k. hopefully my experience may help? good luck.
Thanks.

Getting into the bay isn't that bad. Changed my fuel filter. It's nice to have access back in the cab to remove hoses and such. Turbo is right there as well.

Having a mechanic doing simple repairs isn't in my budget, lol.

I have considered removing the radiator but don't want to put in extra unnecessary work, hence asking for a simple solution.
BUSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Just as a heads up---several Ford motors use a left hand thread on the engine fan. I don't know about yours.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
When I worked on E350 buses we used an air hammer with a small punch point to "pop" the nut loose....just be sure you're going the proper direction of rotation. We actually used that method on ALL the vehicles with an engine driven fan as it was fast, and easy.

If you can't get room, see if you can take the top half of the fan shroud off. That really opens things up in front.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Oh another trick for E350's.
When you can't get to a spark plug (on gas rigs) just use a hole saw to drill through the wheel well in line with the plug. Then install a snap in plug for the hole you drilled. Pro tip: Make sure you can get a snap in plug for the size hole you're drilling.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote