Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
Scared to Post

1973 GMC Superior Bus Engine questions

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a renovated 1973 GMC Superior Bus. I'm definitely worried a bit about needing to purchase vintage parts and whatnot (body, windows, etc.) and what the prices of those things would be, but I'd like to know more about the engine and what problems and costs associated with those repairs may be in the future.

For the year, it is in amazing condition and has been treated well (from what I can tell). The body has very little rust and the underbelly looks just as good as a 2009 Bluebird I was looking at the other day. I love that it's already a very finished product that we could renovate quite easily. They're including everything in the deal: appliances, generator, awnings, etc. It has AC, heating, a huge propane tank, 100+ gallon water/sewage tanks (not sure the actual number), 50 amp hookup, and all the works. Adding up all of those "extras" basically reaches the price point they're asking for which doesn't even include the value of the bus. We just want a more finished product so we can live in our bus sooner!

The owner said it is a 400 cubic inch, GMC Magnum with a 3000rpm rev limiter. From Wikipedia, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_V6_engine) I believe I've narrowed it down to the 432?

We actually don't even really plan on driving it that much. We want to park it on our land while we build our house. MAYBE we might go on a big trip every other year or so, but most likely 500 miles a year max. It has 132k miles on it.

Anyhow, there's a picture of the engine attached, so maybe that'll help. I'd love all the engine advice (and general advice) you could give! Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Front.jpg   Side.jpg   Engine.jpg   Inside.jpg  

Ammonv24 is offline   Reply With Quote