Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
1994 Chevy C30HD 7.4L engine. Looking for more info

Hey there folks,

Although I once had a bus, I now full-time in a 94 Chevy cutaway that I built out myself. I hope you won't kick me out for not being a skoolie owner currently!

I came to this site again because it occurred to me that buses are also built on this chassis (it's rated for 14k lbs) and perhaps someone would have the same engine and could help point me the right way.

I'm looking for detailed exploded schematics for my engine. I want to learn to do most maintenance myself and I'm having a difficult time finding anything specific to this year and model. I guess it's fairly rare?

I've spent hours trawling Google, Youtube, various Chevy forums, reddit and FB and cannot find any images of the engine to help me figure out what its parts are.

I got the Haynes manual but, annoyingly for someone who learns visually, there are no schematics of the engine, only the electrical systems.

I also would love any advice about making this beast a softer ride, if possible and any improvements you learned guys might suggest?

ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the engine is a chevy 454 big block and can pull into almost any parts store and find parts parts for them and almost any mechanics shop will work on them.
for example my 2004 shorty cutaway chevy has an lq4 block and heads that are cast iron but it is the the exact same parts to a chevy ls except the LS is all aluminum.
all parts are interchancheable.
hell the 454 can be created to be whatever you want it to be and in a bus it might show some signs of being worked unless it was abused but can be bored and built?
i would have no issues with a big block gas motor in a bus depending on the bus size.
i love my big block chevy stuff but am also a ford fan for some stuff.
we own ford chevy and subaru
ford and chevy bus's and 3 ford vehicles and a subaru the subarue is the only thing i dont touch because of lifetime warranty? actually do but to make sure of BS from the dealership.
just realised? sorry for the rant.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Chevy C30
Engine: 7.4L gas
Rated Cap: 14,000lbs
Thanks Jolly Roger! That's good to hear. Can you speak to improving the ride on this thing? It's pretty hard over pot holes (although of course I try to avoid them) and next winter I'd like to go to Baja. From Oregon that'll be over 2000 bumpy miles one way.
ladybird_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
first would be to weigh it front axle rear axle and all four corners and then we can look at solutions from there and second would be to try to stay out of the potholes.
several things can be done with the suspension but knowing the weights is the starting point.
spring changes shock changes better tires. air bags air shocks losing a leaf spring in the pack are all things to look at after the design weight and actual are known.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote