Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1996 G30 6.5L not starting after extended storage

I bought a 1996 G30 short bus last fall and started stripping the interior to refinish into a camper project. This one is a GM/Detroit 6.5L diesel.

It ran fine last year and I started it several times and ran it until about Jan when work went nuts. I own a business that allows people to work from home so the bus kinda got neglected. Unfortunately a lot of other things got put aside but I was glad to be working.

I have finally been able to come up for air and decided to get back into the bus.

So, I went out and started it after making sure the batteries were topped off with a charger. It started right up for about 10 second or so and then died and will not restart. I did bleed the fuel and it appears air or vapor may have been in the fuel system from sitting. I am going to get some better hose tomorrow that is transparent and try again tomorrow so I can see for sure a full stream of fuel is flowing.

I bled according to these procedures but I may need to try again once I have the right hose and such. https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenanc...rocedures.html

If I do this again and nothing works, what next? I am pretty mechanical but have no experience with deisels. I paid someone to go over a few things and change some fluids but this really looks like a pretty simple setup and am sure I could do the basic stuff. My gut tells me it is fuel related since it started and then died. I am assuming air or vapor somehow got into the lines from sitting so long. Of course that wasn't my plan but neither was a global pandemic.

Thanks,

Conor

cwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Starting for 10 seconds then dying does sound like a fuel issue.

If you have a mechanical priming pump, try to get the fuel pumped up. You can also prime by turning it over for a few seconds then stop for a minute or so, then turn it over, etc. This does run down the battery though.

After cranking, have you removed the fuel filter to see if there is diesel in the filter? No diesel in the filter means no fuel is getting pumped into the engine.

You may also pressurize the fuel tank with an air hose to help the fuel flow.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
If it is a '96 model then you should have a fuel pump that activates with the key in the "on" position. I have two 97 model pickups with the 6.5 and I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned on.

If you were able to go through the steps to bleed the fuel line and got fuel from the filter then air may not be the problem but may be water.

I am leaning towards the PMD sometimes called the FSD. I have replaced a PMD and keep a spare since they are at the top of reasons these engines do not start.

Since it had been sitting up a few months also consider critters chewing the wiring.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Dirty fuel filter?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote