Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2006 GMC Shuttle Bus

Hi guys,

Unsure if this is the correct place to post this.

I have recently bought a 2006 GMC Shuttle Bus that was used regularly during it's life to which it has accumulated 500,000km.

It's a Duramax Diesel and from my knowledge and what I have read it should have a much longer life ahead of it.

We're currently renovating it and it's been in the shop for a while but hen we tried to start it, it would not start. I feel that the battery could be flat but I can hear some sort of clicking in the fusebox. There also seems to be some sort of slight leak that is leaking coolant (pink goo).

Anyway - We got a mechanic out to look at it and he said that 500,000km is a lot and if there is any of these specific problems with it (I wasn't there when he mentioned what issues he was talking about) it could be at the end of it's life...

I was wondering if anyone who has any experience with GMC Diesel engines or shuttle busses could share some knowledge?

Is 500,000km (300,000 miles) a lot for a duramax diesel? Could it actually be at the end of its life?

We won't know until he checks it out but I don't have much knowledge on this so anything would help. Image below:

https://image.ibb.co/g8Sgxc/IMG_1518.jpg

Thank you

Jeremyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'll stick my neck out and get the ball rolling. Then lots of people can correct me and you end up with the information you wanted.

I'm no duramax expert in any sense, but 300k from that engine sounds about right. Some people claim to get 500k with the right maintenance done, but that's not real common. There are those here that know this engine better, and I just pulled my finger out of the dike.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

I have a duramax in a 09 3500HD and I love it. It’s only got 80,000 miles on it so I can’t help there, but can say the Duramax/Allison combo works real well.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'll stick my neck out and get the ball rolling. Then lots of people can correct me and you end up with the information you wanted.

I'm no duramax expert in any sense, but 300k from that engine sounds about right. Some people claim to get 500k with the right maintenance done, but that's not real common. There are those here that know this engine better, and I just pulled my finger out of the dike.
I have heard of them going for u to 1 mil. Hoping someone who is familiar with something like this can chime in
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
I have heard of them going for u to 1 mil. Hoping someone who is familiar with something like this can chime in
A lot of transit buses run anything up to 1 million miles, but there is a catch.

To start with they run anything up to 24 hours a day, and 18 hours would be normal. So they get warm, and stay warm with the engine running under close to ideal conditions.

Second, they get what is called a "half-life re-fit".

This means that they are taken to a re-furbisher and are stripped down to the frame. The engine and transmission are rebuilt. They get a whole new interior and paint job, then go back out for the second half of their lives.

If you are buying one close to it's half-life, then it is likely completely worn out and needing much of that work doing.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

06 is a good year for a duramax. I have had several or these in the 300,000 range in good condition. The engine will probably give you no problems for a long time. Change the coolant to something other than dexcool. The water pump is probably what is leaking, it is very common on them. It is also a pain to replace. The biggest thing to get checked is the fuel system. It has to be checked with a scan tool. Check injector balance rates and fuel pump pressure. The fuel system is super expensive. Injectors are around 240 each and fuel pump is about a grand. I think if the fuel system in in good shape it will last a couple hundred thousand more miles.
Trailer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your input Trailer2 - Hoping you're right on this one!

I passed on what you mentioned so fingers crossed.