Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #1

2018 Thomas Chevy express no brake lights

We’ve been working on a 2018 Thomas van on a Chevy express 2500 gas chassis. We are having an issue with no brake lights the tail light function works we’ve checked the wiring from the brake lights to the power distribution box in the bulk head when you give it 12v the brake lights work. However when you try to power it from the brake light switch there are no lights. Our scan tool is picking up a signal from the brake pedal at the com port. Anyone have this same issue or any idea where Tomas ties the body brake harness to the chassis harness?

MH5201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Have you checked the fuses under the hood and the ones under the seat? If you’ve applied 12v to the brake light wire then you know you’re good to there. Since the brake lights tie into the cutaway, you’ll have a fuse upstream. To my knowledge, with the exception of the ignition interlock, TB doesn’t undo the circuitry when they build the bus.

If you can’t find a fuse (my bet is in the one under the seat) you can contact Daimler for assistance. You’ll need the VIN. You might just try James Smolder. It’s been a couple years since I emailed. He is very responsive, so if you don’t get something in a day go to the Thomas Built site and look for a customer support number. His email is

james.smolder_ii@daimler.com

I think your problem is in the cutaway area so look there first
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #3

After contacting Rohrer bus sales and service they pointed us in the right direction it ended up being the actual Thomas distribution box in the bulk head we had brake signal going in on the trailering wire side but none coming out to the LB16 brake light wire. Apparently there is a know issue with the solder joints breaking in the box
MH5201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thomas 2018