Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

98 b7, 366 gas engine, 37 ft

I just got done taking the seats all out. I was curious about the weight of it but can't seem to find it anywhere. However on my search, I found out the 366 can only pull 16k lbs (correct me if I'm wrong). My next question is, since most 37ft skoolies I see are around 20k+ when finished, does this mean my dreams with this bus are dead in the water? I went with gas because it would be easy for me to work on, and the 366 engine has parts everywhere... But if it's only able to pull 16k, I'm pretty SOL, right???

Also, I've read that most 37ft busses weight like 20k+ witg seats etc... how can this engine even pull this then? When I drive it doesn't seem to lag or anything, she pulls along just great.

Thanks for all the advice in advance! I appreciate it!

Walterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterbus View Post
I just got done taking the seats all out. I was curious about the weight of it but can't seem to find it anywhere. However on my search, I found out the 366 can only pull 16k lbs (correct me if I'm wrong). My next question is, since most 37ft skoolies I see are around 20k+ when finished, does this mean my dreams with this bus are dead in the water? I went with gas because it would be easy for me to work on, and the 366 engine has parts everywhere... But if it's only able to pull 16k, I'm pretty SOL, right???

Also, I've read that most 37ft busses weight like 20k+ witg seats etc... how can this engine even pull this then? When I drive it doesn't seem to lag or anything, she pulls along just great.

Thanks for all the advice in advance! I appreciate it!
It might be best if you first weighed the bus on a truck scale. That way you will know your starting point. Weigh it with a full tank of fuel.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #3

That's what I plan on doing. I'm just afraid it might break down and then I'll have to tow it back.

But if it does weigh like 15klbs, or more empty. What does that mean for me?
Old 11-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Get it weighed as you intend, then compare that to the GVWR listed on the VIN tag to find out the maximum weight you can put into it.

If it drives well now, you'll probably be fine. Don't expect to get anywhere fast, though. Your bus was designed to carry 70-ish children, which is pretty heavy. As long as you're somewhat thoughtful about materials weight, it'll work out ok. If you live in the mountains, want to drive 70 at all times, and want a water bed and marble columns in your conversion, then start looking for another bus

Edit: also use the search function to find others with similar engines. Most seem to be happy enough. My first bus was a bit pokey, but its gas engine got us around just fine (can't remember exact bus details - it's been a while).
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I used to work for an outfit that had 3 C-70 Chevy air brake 2 axle dump trucks with the 366 engines and used to load out at 35000 pounds regularly and they worked. Wasn't fast but they did it. They could burn through the fuel though. The all had velocity governors under the carburetors to keep you from over revving them. Didn't work going down hill.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

You're amazing! I didn't even know the gvwr info was on that plate! It says 28,000 so I'm more at ease now. I plan on keeping it light anyways just because of the MPG I'll get, no washer/dryer, no oven.

It's going to just be a family vacation machine for my wife, dogs, and I so I won't be doing cross country tours with it. More like driving to a state and chilling for a bit.

I'm definitely going to grab a diesel shortie for solo trips when I'm done with this build though.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Pull 16,000 lbs? as in 16,000 lbs of trailer? It should do it, I have had up to 17,000 lbs of trailer behind mine, grossed at 35,000 bus and trailer.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Please take the time to take a pic of your bus so we can all see it. It is not only an investment, its a livelihood.
JESUSBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Early-1990s, one of our full-time live-aboard conversions was a 30' semi-trailer.
Our toter was a 1974 Chevrolet cab-over, 108wb (yup, air-ride seats mandatory).
366ci through an Allison 643.
For most of a decade, we ran Oregon-to-Baja and back a couple times a year ('bi-annually') ('trans-nationally').
Out into the deserts of Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona ('out').
Beaches along the Oregon coast.
Putzing along in the slow-lane at around 50mph tugging the trailer, we rarely got better than about 5mpg.
Without the trailer -- occasionally enjoying second-gear chirps -- showed about 11mpg at that same 50mph.
Just north of the Oregon border on Interstate Five is a long incline associated with the Ashland volcano ('ash land').
That grade is humbling.
We had eight (eight) minute miles ('strolling').
An aside:
The military surplus auction at McClellan AFB never furnished our trailer title.
Accordingly, we never licensed it.
Never plated it.
Apparently, odd-n-deranged can be too bizarre for state troopers and LawEnforcementOfficials to register on their 'investigation' scale...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
366 engine, gasser, weight ratings